Author Topic: Invader Zim - Enter at your own risk of being incredibly dissapointed :D  (Read 4790 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Yes, Invader Zim.  Easily my favorite tv show of all time.

In case anyone is wondering, this was a tangent from the episode comments of The Ant King: A California Fairy Tale
it reminded me of the show with its unconventional character reactions and descriptions.  One, i believe was a sound likened to a puppy in a blender or something odd like that. correction, Amelio Toad's voice was like a cat being liquified in an industrial sized mixer... interesting use of description.

I loved this show.  LOVED it!  Jhonnen Vasquez is a genius in presenting us with his interesting take on humanity.  While most of his critiques are incredibly rediculous, there is an element of truth to it all that makes it all the funnier.  The fact that we are so forced into accepting everything, that we fail to see the obvious.  The fact that we are oblivious to these things.  to use an old example, someone could whisper the secret to life to us on the street and we wouldnt even notice.

His balance of cute and horrific, and his plays on human habits are brilliant as well.  Huge machines of death bear smiley faces.  Fat disgusting aliens chow down on fast food.  People complain about the most meaningless things, and gladly take it up the ass for the things that really matter (ex. school on lockdown because of lice...)

Many of you peeps might not see what i see in it, but the show just struck a chord in me, and i just get it.  i dunno... same thing with Jhonnen's "Jhonney the Homicidal Maniac" comics.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 04:51:37 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Told you I'd join you in here  :)

Haven't checked out Johnny or any other Vasquez work besides ZIM.  But I love the show -- first came across it when my wife found a Gaz patch at Hot Topic and just fell in love with her because she has purple hair (my wife's favorite color).  Then we found out where the character came from, and eventually managed to catch an episode despite its air times having absolutely nothing to do with the listings on Nickelodeon's web site ... this was around 2002 or so, and Nickelodeon was apparently intent on killing and burying the show for good   :-\

Anyway, I ended up downloading the episodes on Kazaa or Morpheus or sum shit, and making VCDs out of them, but didn't manage to get them all.  Last year I bought the DVD set in the big house-shaped box, and am still trying to find time to watch the ones I haven't seen yet.

And you should play the game Psychonauts if you haven't yet.  Like I said, the atmosphere is very much like ZIM, and you can play it for free on Gametap.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

jodymonster

• Palmer
"Grr! Why is there bacon in the soap!?!"
"I made it myself!"

"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up." -Hunter S. Thompson

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
I only saw a couple of episodes.  Damn fine show, though.

I remember I was momentarily confused whether Zim was an alien child or a diminutive adult alien, and then I decided It Really Doesn't Matter.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
"Miss Bitters, why didn't the school just spend money on desks instead of on candy and prizes?"

"That answer wasn't in the video, Dib."

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
"Grr! Why is there bacon in the soap!?!"
"I made it myself!"
fav quote!

"Mr. Slushy, could you tell us the story of the most horrible Christmas ever?"
"No, little girl, no I wont" *bzzt* "wait, yes I will!"

i started watchin from the first episode played on Nick.  the commercial got me hooked :D
ill have to check out psychonauts

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Cool show.   This was a show my kids started watching and I gradually got into it because it was always on (like SpongeBob).  I wonder if re-runs are still being shown on one of the many cartoon channels on my lame cable system? 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
i think every so often its played on the nicktoon chanel for satellite tv

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Actually, even before my wife found the Gaz patch, I saw "Shut your noise tube, taco human!" in somebody's Usenet signature.

I'd like to have seen more of Tak.  Is she in any of the later episodes?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
i think shes only in the one where she tries to fill the earth with candy. dont think there are any others with Tak.  she was great tho!
that ep was awesome, there was the guy at the weenie stand who didnt realize that he was selling weenies from the bottom of a GIANT building.  and no one else noticed either. haha.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
"DELICIOUS WEENIE!"