Escape Artists
December 16, 2017, 11:40:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Progress sometimes means walking backwards  (Read 47062 times)
jrderego
Hipparch

Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)

« on: January 05, 2007, 01:44:56 AM »

Here's what's on the current slate for me.

In the can and ready for submission (or in active submission mode already)

Novel -

Tears of Amaterasu

Union Dues (shorts) -

Union Dues: A Handshake, A Gold Watch, A Candle
Union Dues: All That We Leave Behind
Union Dues: Send in the Clowns
Union Dues: All About the Sponsors (with special guest star Pat Boone!)

Hotel Nocturne (shorts) -

The Hunting Party
Employee of the Year

Burden of Bushido -

Ronin on the High Seas
The Five-Body Sword
Emerald Treasure of the Thuggee Assassins

Stories currently in production (i.e. second draft)

Union Dues (Shorts) -

Union Dues: Freedom's Burden
Union Dues: The Time of our Lives
Union Dues: She who Laughs Last

Other Shorts (Shorts) -

Tout Bagay Enfom
Citizen X
The Henchman Diaries
The Boy in the Well
Uthan

Union Dues: The Novel (Novel)

Stuff in first draft or currently incomplete first draft -

Doughboys (short novel)
Unnammed Zatoichi knockoff (short novel)

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html
Jim
HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
Matross

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 08:50:53 AM »

Well, ain't you just the writing machine.

Looking forward to it, all of it!

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »

oooh send in a union dues story again, i LOVE those!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
Russell Nash
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 06:14:31 PM »

More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
More Union Dues!!!
Jim
Matross

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:26:47 AM »

There, see?

The mob, all three of us, has spoken.

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.
Russell Nash
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 02:00:50 PM »

Three moderators are cheering for more Union Dues. I hope Steve is reading this.
jrderego
Hipparch

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 02:06:05 PM »

Three moderators are cheering for more Union Dues. I hope Steve is reading this.

Nice to know I have the full measure of the Escape Pod forum admin at my back. LOL!

madjo
Palmer

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 09:10:51 AM »

I'd also like to hear more Union Dues. Smiley
VBurn
Peltast

I am just an egg

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 11:30:11 AM »

I really enjoyed the latest Union Dues and would love to hear more like that.
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 09:27:06 PM »

while i love union dues, i would also love to hear those other shorts, maybe Ronin on the High Seas, that sounds interesting.  Tho before you submitt any other shorts ya really should send out a little Union Dues.  They are very fun to listen to

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
jrderego
Hipparch

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 10:52:26 PM »

while i love union dues, i would also love to hear those other shorts, maybe Ronin on the High Seas, that sounds interesting.  Tho before you submitt any other shorts ya really should send out a little Union Dues.  They are very fun to listen to

The problem with the Burden of Bushido series is that the market I'd written them for dried up. They are fun historical fiction action adventure stories with one toe in fantasy, sort of, I guess. The tales follow disgraced samurai Kintaro Koboyashi from task to deliver a priceless sword, through his exile into obscurity among Japan's fisherman, to his journeys through India. The stories are set right in the year following Commodore Perry's forced opening of Japan's ports to American vessels. But, since I don't do wizards, or dragons, or elves, orcs, gnoles, gnomes, or other fantasy mechanics, they will probably never find a home.

Sad

SFEley
Autarch

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 11:15:55 PM »

But, since I don't do wizards, or dragons, or elves, orcs, gnoles, gnomes, or other fantasy mechanics, they will probably never find a home.

Au contraire.  You're not familiar with Lian Hearn's "Tales of the Otori" series?  That's the first example I could think of off the top of my head,(*) but Asian-inspired fantasy is a big seller right now.

And hell, if you can't sell it in prose, adapt it to manga.  Dark Horse and other publishers are getting into American manga in a huge way.

(*Actually, the first example I thought of was Barry Hughart's "Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox," of which the first book, Bridge of Birds, is one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read.  But it's much older, and didn't sell well at all.  I suspect he was too far ahead of his time.)

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
jrderego
Hipparch

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 01:45:33 AM »

But, since I don't do wizards, or dragons, or elves, orcs, gnoles, gnomes, or other fantasy mechanics, they will probably never find a home.

Au contraire.  You're not familiar with Lian Hearn's "Tales of the Otori" series?  That's the first example I could think of off the top of my head,(*) but Asian-inspired fantasy is a big seller right now.

And hell, if you can't sell it in prose, adapt it to manga.  Dark Horse and other publishers are getting into American manga in a huge way.

(*Actually, the first example I thought of was Barry Hughart's "Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox," of which the first book, Bridge of Birds, is one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read.  But it's much older, and didn't sell well at all.  I suspect he was too far ahead of his time.)

I will check out both titles. That said, the BOB stories are as much fantasy stories as The Hidden Fortress or The Seven Samurai are fantasy movies. I am intrigued by culture as Magic, for example, in the third story Emerald Treasure of the Thuggee Assassins, Kintaro finds himself paired with a Sikh for the vast majority of the story, and their different cosmologies (Kintaro is, by his own admission, antagonistic towards the gods but is willing to fight to the death to retreive a stolen emerald for the Untouchables who took him in after he washed ashore. Rajveer Singh is devout.) provide all of the mystical elements of the tale. But none of them are "fantasy" elements.

The different cultures, Hindu, Samurai, Sikh, British, Sepoy (Indian soldiers serving the British), and the evolving technology provide the "magic" in the story.

SFEley
Autarch

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 01:57:11 AM »

I will check out both titles. That said, the BOB stories are as much fantasy stories as The Hidden Fortress or The Seven Samurai are fantasy movies. I am intrigued by culture as Magic, for example, in the third story [...]

Ah, okay, I misunderstood.  So it's more historical adventure?  (Or what used to be called a "romance" before the term evolved to its present definition.)

I still say you could sell this, if the plots and characters are as good as your passion in summarizing them.  Heck, it still sounds to me like kickass comics or manga material.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
madjo
Palmer

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 05:17:06 AM »

Quote from: jrderego
The problem with the Burden of Bushido series is that the market I'd written them for dried up.
What exactly do you mean with dried up?
Do you mean that it couldn't be published in an audio form?
Forgive me if these seem silly questions, I was just curious what you meant.
jrderego
Hipparch

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 08:53:56 AM »

Quote from: jrderego
The problem with the Burden of Bushido series is that the market I'd written them for dried up.
What exactly do you mean with dried up?
Do you mean that it couldn't be published in an audio form?
Forgive me if these seem silly questions, I was just curious what you meant.

There were three or four magazines, both print and online that bought historical/adventure fiction but over the last few months they have all either gone to a no-pay for fiction model, gone out of business, or realigned themselves to publish only traditional quest fantasy.

Jim
Matross

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 09:22:03 AM »

Was Egon correct in his terse reply to Janine when she supposes out loud that he reads a lot?

jrderego
Hipparch

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 10:08:03 AM »

Was Egon correct in his terse reply to Janine when she supposes out loud that he reads a lot?

While I don't agree that "Print is dead", it's much less expensive to set up and publish via the web than deal with the costs of print and layout and distribution. One of the reasons there are so many markets out there for Speculative Fiction is that the web has made publishing much less rigorous to get involved with. The web also allows for insane specialization of genre and subgenre... for example, I have the Hotel Nocturne stories which are sort of traditional vampire tales, all centered around a grand hotel built very high up in the Arctic Circle. Because of the six-months of darkness/semidarkness the hotel caters to vampires. So far so good, right? I go looking for markets for these stories and so many horror markets say "no traditional monsters, or no vampire stories", but I find one, a good one, it even pays, I get all ready to final edit and format one of the tales and start to pour over the guidelines again.

Oops, they only take stories about extraterrestrial vampires.

Hmmm... okay, I find another market, same routine, they only want lesbian vampires.

Darn it!

I find another market, same routine, they want vampire stories set in the far future only.

And the fleeting nature of web publishing is such that a market can be there today and gone tomorrow. I wrote a story specifically for the online magazine "Dead Letters", they took only Romero inspired zombie stories. I thought, how many times can someone read about people trapped in a mall/supermarket/farmhouse by legions of hungry undead? I thought about Voodoo, and zombies, and wrote Tout Bagay Enfom, a zombie story that uses Voodoo as a control mechanism for Romero-type undead and put the whole shebang on an asteroid based starship fuel mine in space. Or, as I like to type it "in space!"

As soon as I finished the third edit and formatted the thing, Dead Letters took the proverbial shot to the head and ceased to exist. Now I've got a story that doesn't really fit anywhere, and to make it fit I have to rework several of the angles to make it palatable to other markets, which in and of itself is fine, but there's no guarantee that market will be there when I get gone with this series of edits either...

Sometimes I think Sisyphus was a writer.

madjo
Palmer

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 04:49:03 PM »

Perhaps it's time for a less specialized storymarket? (No, sadly I don't have the time nor the money to set up such a thing)
I'm sure more writers encounter this problem?
jrderego
Hipparch

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 02:03:01 AM »

Progress report -

The Ballad of Kitty Momoiro - second draft complete. 5200 words.

First paragraph -

Union Dues:
The Ballad of Kitty Momoiro

So, we're like in this mall in Wisconsin or Michigan or some other place I can't find on a map, roped off and on a little stage. And, all I can concentrate on is how good an Orange Frosty from the food court would taste right now. Do I notice that a couple of hundred kids, mostly girls around between five and fifteen are screaming questions and snapping pictures? Sure, but that isn't anywhere near as interesting as how they mix orange juice, coconut milk, and soda water with a chopped banana.
     I don't focus real good without my ADD meds.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: