Author Topic: EP069: Her  (Read 3552 times)

Russell Nash

on: September 10, 2009, 06:12:26 PM
EP069: Her

By Tobias S. Buckell.
Read by Stephen Eley.

“It’s fascinating,” Jo said, now that she had what she wanted out of me, “that the inhabitants here are the only race we know of that has their mythology dead on.”

“Huh?” I looked down at the table. I needed more beer.

“They believe they live on the corpse of a giant.”

“Maybe it’s because they do,” I said, sneaking another look back down the inner thigh that dominated the western hemisphere.

Rated R. Contains explicit anatomical imagery. On a very large scale.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 06:08:48 PM
Extremely cool premise, one of those I really wish I'd thought of first.  :)  As the commenters on the blog said, the explicit referral to Mother Earth weakened it because the analogy was already very clear.  This brought up all kinds of practical questions that were never answered (in a good way):  Is she really dead or just sleeping?  Are there more of her kind?  Why does she look human?

And, as another blog commenter pointed out, considering earth religions as being homogenous wasnot at all accurate.  Especially since they mentioned Buddhism, which I wouldn't expect to have the objections to nudity that some other religions might have.

The end just kind of petered off, I would've liked to see a little more resolution.