Author Topic: Becoming "Voice Talent"  (Read 5706 times)

TheTart

• Extern
  • "Did you know there's a dinosaur on your nose?"
on: May 14, 2008, 02:13:28 AM
Okay, I've gone back into the archives a bit, and I haven't seen this question asked or answered:

You've bought the hardware and the software. You've got a good, quiet place to record. How do you become 'voice talent'?

I'm not a writer. But I'm as fascinated with the teller of the tale as the one who created it. A good voice can make a so-so story breathe - a bad one can ensure I tune out or turn it off. I want my voice to read these stories. So do I just record a story and start sending it to folks? What's the etiquette?

Thanks!

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:27:55 AM
Get yourself hosted at Libsyn or somewhere and then start sending out the link to friends, put it in your signature for everything, and other stuff like that.

Troo

• Palmer
    • Hello Spacegirl
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:43:57 AM
I'd settle for being able to get through a paragraph without devolving into screaming swear words into the microphone ;)

Trudi Topham,
Editor, Pantechnicon.
Editor, Hub.

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:49:10 AM
I'd settle for being able to get through a paragraph without devolving into screaming swear words into the microphone ;)

That sounds like fun.  Can I hear it??

Troo

• Palmer
    • Hello Spacegirl
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 12:17:43 PM
Alas I keep declining to save those files. But just for you I'll save the next few attempts ;)

Trudi Topham,
Editor, Pantechnicon.
Editor, Hub.

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 04:46:26 AM
There are a LOT of people out there who want to get their work online, and have the exact opposite problem -- they can write, but can't read convincingly/hate the sound of their voice.  Just troll (in the sense of fishing, not in the sense of being a jerk) podcasting message boards (i.e. this one) and keep an eye out for help wanteds.

Troo

• Palmer
    • Hello Spacegirl
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 01:37:40 PM
What you might also want to do, Tart (ooer), is offer your reading services to writers who would like to start a podcast but don't have the equipment or inclination to do the recording. Hang out on writer's sites and you'll inevitably find a few :)

Trudi Topham,
Editor, Pantechnicon.
Editor, Hub.

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 03:27:42 AM
Anyone with interest in reading the kind of stories that show up in my podcast, feel free to contact me, I'll send an audition text.  I love having people read for my show.

Couples who are willing to sit down and read smut into a microphone are of particular interest.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 09:13:08 AM
Librivox could always use some readers - http://librivox.org/volunteer-for-librivox/
It's a good place to dip your toe in, and they aren't real fussy.

That sounds like fun.  Can I hear it??
If that floats yer boat, try the Air Out My Shorts podcasts.  ;)

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")