Author Topic: Union Dues on clonepod (reposted from Podcastle forum)  (Read 41071 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #50 on: November 15, 2008, 04:38:58 AM
I don't want to discourage anyone from putting out podcasts, so this is not meant as a slam against clonepod.

Are they getting any better over there?  Their story selection was pretty good, but I had to step away for a while.  Since Steve's on hiatus, I figured I might get caught up again.

Stories are still good; hosts are still annoying.  I live with it because I like the stories.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #51 on: November 15, 2008, 04:43:54 AM
I've also really enjoyed watching the story arc develop- I'm dying to know what happened to Tam at the Supreme Court.  Seems like one of these days the shit is really going to hit the fan for the Union.

My guess is that the Miss Jennifer story will deal with the court case (at least in part).

Zathras

Reply #52 on: November 15, 2008, 07:16:00 PM
It took 3 more tries, but I finally got through the Ballad of Kitty over there. 

I guess Escape Artists spoiled me.

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #53 on: November 17, 2008, 11:30:44 AM
The kid's name are pseudonyms playing of the colors of their uniforms as Shikaragaki loosely means "4 color kids".

Taizen Kiiro = Mello Yellow
Tam Suji = Big Green
Johnny Turoku = Johnny Blue
Kitty Momoiro = Kitty Pink

They are meant to be more accessible than the regular Union hence the more 'normal' sounding names.

Aha!  So they are more like the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, then. 

Anyway, for the record, I like the kids' voices on the TS stories.  I like their enthusiasm, and I think that they do a good job of capturing the feel of the characters.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #54 on: November 17, 2008, 01:26:08 PM
The kid's name are pseudonyms playing of the colors of their uniforms as Shikaragaki loosely means "4 color kids".

Taizen Kiiro = Mello Yellow
Tam Suji = Big Green
Johnny Turoku = Johnny Blue
Kitty Momoiro = Kitty Pink

They are meant to be more accessible than the regular Union hence the more 'normal' sounding names.

Aha!  So they are more like the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, then. 

Anyway, for the record, I like the kids' voices on the TS stories.  I like their enthusiasm, and I think that they do a good job of capturing the feel of the characters.

Yes. The Power Rangers were an inspiration for the look and presentation of Team Shikaragaki.

:)

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #55 on: November 17, 2008, 11:20:56 PM
I love the stories, like Steph I tolerate the voices. Those kids need training (and or) someone else to do the stories. Even the intro/outro sequences make me unhappy. BUT then, I'm one of a few women who DON'T think that kids who lisp, speak like babies, mispronounce words, etc are "so cute". When my own kids went through these stages they were eased through them gently but thoroughly.  I like a lot of the stories they do over on CP and agree that it's a great way to help these kids learn more about new media.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Zathras

Reply #56 on: November 17, 2008, 11:25:21 PM
I love the stories, like Steph I tolerate the voices. Those kids need training (and or) someone else to do the stories. Even the intro/outro sequences make me unhappy. BUT then, I'm one of a few women who DON'T think that kids who lisp, speak like babies, mispronounce words, etc are "so cute". When my own kids went through these stages they were eased through them gently but thoroughly.  I like a lot of the stories they do over on CP and agree that it's a great way to help these kids learn more about new media.

+1

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #57 on: November 18, 2008, 01:02:03 AM
I love the stories, like Steph I tolerate the voices. Those kids need training (and or) someone else to do the stories.
Again, the only stories I've heard the host kids read are the UD stories.  All others have been read by adults as far as I can tell.  If the kids were reading more of the stories, I would not still be subscribed to the feed.

Clutron

• Palmer
Reply #58 on: November 24, 2008, 02:01:47 PM
I am very appreciative of ClonePod for bringing us awesome free stories.  It's a podcast where the intros are done by teens and pre teens for teens and pre teens.  You can't hold them to the same standard that EP sets.  It's just not realistic.  These kids are outperforming anything I could have done at 11 (and probably even now) and I am very impressed. 

Zathras

Reply #59 on: November 24, 2008, 03:02:14 PM
I am not holding them to the same standard.  I do think that with just a little more effort, they could vastly improve.  I guess I just have a higher opinion of what teenagers are capable of.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #60 on: November 24, 2008, 03:18:48 PM
I have to admit, I've not yet listened to the CP UD stories; I do plan to, but I've not had a chance yet. So, this is from a position of complete ignorance:

I'm sure the kids producing the podcast comfortably exceed every reasonable expectation that could be placed on children of their age, but that doesn't mean that they reach an acceptable standard.

As an egregious example, if my -almost-two-year-old daughter managed to press record and then fart into the microphone, that would certainly exceed my expectations of her ability to create a podcast. I would not, however, expect that to be considered sufficient grounds for anyone to actually listen to it.

For the record, I don't mean to draw any parallel with the production qualities of CP, other than that listeners have a right to set their own personal standard, and if that standard cannot reasonably be met by a particular production team, saying that they "exceed expectations" is a meaningless defence.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #61 on: November 24, 2008, 11:41:22 PM
Ok I'll agree on that.  Perhaps I'm ranting at the into/outro sequences.  I have little girls and though they get all high pitched and Squee-ish mine just don't seem as annoying at the young'n on this show.  Perhaps I'm biased and my girls really ARE this annoying.  As to the quality of work the kids themselves do? Meh.  They get their shows out, that I can say for them. BUT mind you this is MY opinion and I'm judgemental as all get out.  I dislike my amazingly sweet neighbor simply because he hubby is really really dumb.. so yeah.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #62 on: November 27, 2008, 01:58:32 AM
I've now listened to the UD stories on CP, and my considered opinion is this:

The first one was right at the very limit of listenability. I was continually on the verge of turning it off. The main problem was that I could never tell who was speaking, or even (sometimes) the difference between dialogue and narrative, which made conversations hard to follow.

The other two were not great, but I didn't have to force myself to leave the stop button alone.

The stories were good enough to carry it, though.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

fuzzygnome

• Palmer
Reply #63 on: December 12, 2008, 08:32:05 AM
Ok, gotta chuck in after putting this off for awhile.  I agree that this is a VERY hard podcast to listen to...not just the union dues.  The stories are all good- very good actually- but that doesn't matter when you jump into an audio world where its all about story telling... I haven't been able to finish many of these.  That being said, I don't think the style is bad (in terms of quality), it's just not something I can really get into.   

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #64 on: December 12, 2008, 02:09:18 PM
Ok, gotta chuck in after putting this off for awhile.  I agree that this is a VERY hard podcast to listen to...not just the union dues.  The stories are all good- very good actually- but that doesn't matter when you jump into an audio world where its all about story telling... I haven't been able to finish many of these.  That being said, I don't think the style is bad (in terms of quality), it's just not something I can really get into.   

Again I have to wonder if I'm listening to the same podcast that some of you are.  Maybe I just have a low listenability threshold (which speaks volumes about Abby's reading  ;)).  But most of the readings are fine, and apart from the "Union Dues" pieces, have been read by adults, not kids.

Zathras

Reply #65 on: December 12, 2008, 04:20:56 PM
stePH, my problem is that I feel an obligation to listen to the intros and outros.  These kids took the time to put up the podcast, I feel like I owe it to them to listen to the whole thing.  Most of the stories are read by adults, but the quality is still lacking in some.  I think that the kids put some people on edge before the story even starts. 

I really don't want to discourage them from putting out a podcast.  I think it's fantastic that they are that ambitious. 

Maybe that helps pinpoint the problem.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #66 on: December 13, 2008, 12:16:31 AM
stePH, my problem is that I feel an obligation to listen to the intros and outros.  These kids took the time to put up the podcast, I feel like I owe it to them to listen to the whole thing.  Most of the stories are read by adults, but the quality is still lacking in some.  I think that the kids put some people on edge before the story even starts. 

I really don't want to discourage them from putting out a podcast.  I think it's fantastic that they are that ambitious. 

Maybe that helps pinpoint the problem.
what he said

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #67 on: December 13, 2008, 03:11:34 AM

If anybody should have an issue with the intros and outros, it's me ... I dislike kids to a degree that could almost be called "hate".  But I still listen to the intros and outros for the reasons you give above.  The story content, however, more than makes up for it to me.

fuzzygnome

• Palmer
Reply #68 on: December 14, 2008, 12:54:37 AM
FF'd past the intros, but still didn't enjoy the readers.

Russell Nash

Reply #69 on: December 17, 2008, 12:02:59 PM
CP is one of the podcasts I recently chucked.  I'm subscribed now only to get the UD stories and delete everything else.  As soon as they have all been "published" I'll unsubscribe.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #70 on: December 27, 2008, 06:35:21 PM
I though the most recent CP story, Cold Duty by Dan Sawyer was really good.  The narration was excellent.  Better than most of the prior stuff.   It was steam punk, which isn't usually my thing.  Anyway, I would recommend it.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Zathras

Reply #71 on: January 17, 2009, 04:36:47 PM
Steampunk isn't my thing, either.  I did enjoy Cold Duty. 

Default announcement:  Their story selection is out standing.

I haven't listened to CP 26 yet.  I listen to CP when I get around to it. 

I am starting to have an issue with the lack of improvement of the intros and outros.  I especially dislike the car commercial dislcaimer reading of teh Creative Commons License.  Really, it only takes a few seconds longer to read it normally.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #72 on: January 18, 2009, 12:31:32 AM
I though the most recent CP story, Cold Duty by Dan Sawyer was really good.  The narration was excellent.  Better than most of the prior stuff.   It was steam punk, which isn't usually my thing.  Anyway, I would recommend it.

+1.  One of the best I've heard on Clonepod in a long time.  Maybe best CP ever.

izzardfan

Reply #73 on: January 18, 2009, 09:59:07 AM
After all the CP raves here, I went to clonepod to download the files, first through iTunes, and then when that didn't work, through their website.  Their file server must be down because nothing will download.

Zathras

Reply #74 on: January 18, 2009, 05:26:23 PM
http://feeds.feedburner.com/clonepod?format=xml

Is the feed that I use.  My last update was on the 10th.  Trying to download an older episode now...

Oooohhhh, look!  Two new Pseudopod episodes!  Shiny!

Ok, back to the test, I am downloading episdode 13, Incarnation Day right now.  I'll post again if there are any problems with the download.

::edit::  I downloaded it with no problem. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 06:05:18 PM by Zathras »