Author Topic: Union Dues on clonepod (reposted from Podcastle forum)  (Read 41086 times)

izzardfan

Reply #75 on: January 20, 2009, 12:19:06 PM
Thanks, that worked.

izzardfan

Reply #76 on: January 22, 2009, 07:30:05 AM
I subscribed to CP but am only downloading the Union Dues stories, plus Cold Duty since it was reviewed positively here.  I've gotten halfway through ep. 11, the first UD (The Ballad of Kitty Momoiro), and I'm really having a tough time with the reading.  Some words are pronounced wrong and I only got them through a combination of context and replaying the sentence a couple of times (eg. "gauge" pronounced as "gawj").  When my 15 year old son speaks like this, I ask him to stop and repeat what he said without mumbling.  The story is great so far, so I'll hang in there, but wow, it's not easy.  If they're all that way, I'd be willing to throw a few bucks (each) at Jeffrey for text versions.

Zathras

Reply #77 on: January 22, 2009, 12:57:28 PM
Izzardfan,  The Ballad of Kitty is the Hardest one to get through.  CP has a great selection of stories.  A lot of their production leaves something to be desired and all of the intros and outros are pretty bad.

I'd recommend # 2,5,6, FF3, 13, 14, 15, 19, FF4, 23, and 25, depending on personal preference.  I just grabbed these from the episode list, so I'm remembering the stories, not the production.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #78 on: January 22, 2009, 02:18:18 PM
Izzardfan,  The Ballad of Kitty is the Hardest one to get through.  CP has a great selection of stories.  A lot of their production leaves something to be desired and all of the intros and outros are pretty bad.

I'd recommend # 2,5,6, FF3, 13, 14, 15, 19, FF4, 23, and 25, depending on personal preference.  I just grabbed these from the episode list, so I'm remembering the stories, not the production.

I recommend avoiding the latest, "Dazzle Joins the Screenwriter's Guild".  Story wasn't bad, but wasn't worth sitting through the poor reading either.  I swear, this guy sounded like he hadn't even given the story a preliminary read-through before starting to record.  It put me in mind of Abby's reading of "Kitty Momoiro" without the annoying voice.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

izzardfan

Reply #79 on: January 22, 2009, 11:21:37 PM
I swear, this guy sounded like he hadn't even given the story a preliminary read-through before starting to record.  It put me in mind of Abby's reading of "Kitty Momoiro" without the annoying voice.

That was what bothered me about "Kitty" too, almost as if Abby had tried to memorize the words, as in a script for a play, and couldn't remember all of them, instead of having the words to read right in front of her.  I didn't mind her voice otherwise, as it gave me a better mental image of who Kitty was than if it had been read by an adult.  That said, I think if Cunning Minx had read it, she could have done a voice suitable for the story.

I did finally finish the story, and I heartily agree with Zathras' comment about the Creative Commons License.  He doesn't need to be John Moschitta (YouTube).

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #80 on: February 04, 2009, 12:37:04 AM
UGH!  Listening to the intro of the latest, "The Last Dog", tempted me to drop the axe.  But remembering great stories such as "Cold Duty" stayed my hand.  I'm strongly inclined to start skipping the intros and outros though.  They're even fluffing the lines they wrote themselves now?

Zathras

Reply #81 on: February 04, 2009, 12:39:22 AM
Is the Last Dog worth listening to?  I greatly appreciate the screening you do for us!

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #82 on: February 04, 2009, 12:41:11 AM
Is the Last Dog worth listening to?  I greatly appreciate the screening you do for us!

Couldn't say.  I stopped after about two minutes and switched to another podcast.  I'll get back to it later ... it's a Mike Reznick story and I don't recall anything by him that I've actively disliked -- and the reading is better than passable.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #83 on: February 04, 2009, 05:00:41 AM
Meh. It wasn't bad. Sort of sweet.
The intro outros are getting worse if anything.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

izzardfan

Reply #84 on: February 04, 2009, 10:48:27 PM
I just listened to "Cold Duty" and the 2nd and 3rd Union Dues (Team Shikaragaki) stories in the last 24 hours, and while I applaud the ambition and effort of creating a podcast run by teenagers, I have to agree that the quality of the intros and outros leaves a lot to be desired.  I, too, am skipping the outros, though I can't skip the intros as I don't know where the story starts.  It seems to me that when a youth reads the story, either they don't prepare enough ahead, or aren't comfortable enough reading (nervous, maybe?).  They end up reading it as if it were a report given in front of a class, instead of telling a story.  I admit I'm spoiled by the readings from EP and PC, but when an adult reads one on CP (such as the 3rd Union Dues and "Cold Duty"), I can enjoy it.  I've downloaded all CP episodes and I'm going to listen to them all because the stories are good (so far).

I read this board and Swamp mentioned:
The prize could also be more specific like a complitation of all of the Union Dues strories, maybe we could even get Mr. DeRego to throw something in.

Has there been any mention of a text compilation of all of the Union Dues stories?  I'd definitely buy one.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #85 on: February 05, 2009, 01:21:25 AM
I just listened to "Cold Duty" and the 2nd and 3rd Union Dues (Team Shikaragaki) stories in the last 24 hours, and while I applaud the ambition and effort of creating a podcast run by teenagers, I have to agree that the quality of the intros and outros leaves a lot to be desired.  I, too, am skipping the outros, though I can't skip the intros as I don't know where the story starts. 

Skim.  Scroll ahead about two minutes -- if the kids are still talking, scroll ahead another half minute.  If there's somebody else reading the story, scroll back.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #86 on: February 08, 2009, 03:49:16 AM
The skim scroll is generally how I handle it- unless I'm driving, then it's to hum (if the girls are in the car)  or quietly tell the CP kids to shutupshutupshutup under my breath. No cool coping skills- but I've never been good with the coping.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

fuzzygnome

• Palmer
Reply #87 on: February 12, 2009, 04:44:42 PM
Clonepod needs to put chapters in their podcast like Drabblecast does, so listeners don't have to skim.  Although, I usually don't want to miss Norm's intros. 
Coincedentally, Drabblecast also did Resnick's the Last Dog this week-- and did it much better.  Worth listening to again.

Zathras

Reply #88 on: March 02, 2009, 02:16:48 AM
I unsubscribed.  I had to turn off the latest episode. 

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #89 on: March 02, 2009, 03:05:44 AM

For some reason, I have it twice.  WTF?  ???  Haven't listened yet, tho'.  The latest EP is next on deck.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #90 on: March 02, 2009, 04:52:53 AM

I'm considering the same after this last episode.  Listened to it all the way through (almost an hour), not sure why.  I was totally lost and missed the point of the story.  I heard at least three repeated lines and several words were cut off.  It just didn't flow.   It seemed like the editing was fouled up and I had a hard time following the reader also.  To me it was one of their worst episodes. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #91 on: March 02, 2009, 05:31:17 AM

I'm considering the same after this last episode.  Listened to it all the way through (almost an hour), not sure why.  I was totally lost and missed the point of the story.  I heard at least three repeated lines and several words were cut off.  It just didn't flow.   It seemed like the editing was fouled up and I had a hard time following the reader also.  To me it was one of their worst episodes. 

I'll give it a miss, then.  But I'll stay subscribed.  "Cold Duty" makes up for a lot, plus there's more Union Dues to come.

BethPeters

• Palmer
Reply #92 on: March 14, 2009, 06:10:17 AM
Axe dropped.  Maybe Robert Reed and J Derego will start submitting to places that won't scew their stories up?