Author Topic: EP157: A Small Room in Koboldtown  (Read 27727 times)

sayeth

• Palmer
    • Free Listens
Reply #50 on: May 24, 2008, 03:26:09 AM
I loved the similarities to "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" by Edgar Allan Poe - the locked room, the window, the neighbors hearing the arguments - all great stuff, but done in a way that flips Poe's story on its head. Here, the seemingly supernatural mystery actually is supernatural. If you haven't read "Rue Morgue", it's available at Gutenberg and Librivox.

Free Listens Audio Reviews: www.freelistens.blogspot.com

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #51 on: May 29, 2008, 08:22:19 PM
I thought the atmosphere of this story was great, and it deserved the full-strength reading.  It wasn't always easy to follow but I felt that a little confusion was unavoidable: some stories that push the written word hard are going to be even harder work in audio.  This story's world made it worth the effort.

jonathanhowell

• Extern
Reply #52 on: May 31, 2008, 01:36:03 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this story.

As I listen to more podcasts, I find that the quality of the voice acting is very important to me. It's one of the main reasons I like hearing Steve's readings. He manages to be able to emote the story more than read it. This has also turned me away from other well-written stories (EP137 and almost EP154) where I just couldn't stand the dry monotonous delivery being given.
In this podcast I very much enjoyed Cheyenne Wright's acting. I found the accents to be inconsistent, but somehow the characterizations remained strong. The accents used gave a feel of being in New Orleans and lent the story characters an extra bit of depth. Coupled with a nice juicy supernatural murder mystery, it left me with a nice little tale to chew on. No, I'm not about to brag about how I knew 'whodunit' from the start -- I don't work that way. I enjoyed the ride for the sake of the ride.

Jonathan

lieffeil

• Palmer
    • spring forward, fall back
Reply #53 on: June 05, 2008, 02:26:24 AM
This was the first story I heard on Escape Pod. The reader made me laugh, he had such a voice for characters. I don't actually remember much of the story itself, but it got me hooked, so that has to mean there was something I enjoyed about it. Right?

...you've got three metric seconds.

eytanz

Reply #54 on: June 23, 2008, 02:52:46 PM
In case anyone is interested, this weekend this story won the 2008 Locus Award (short story category).

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #55 on: June 23, 2008, 04:07:06 PM
In case anyone is interested, this weekend this story won the 2008 Locus Award (short story category).

Cool. 

Is there a complete list up on the Locus site?

eytanz

csrster

• Palmer
Reply #57 on: June 24, 2008, 12:58:39 PM
This is one of those rare Escape Artists 'casts that sent me scurrying off to rustle up some printed words by the
same author. I loved the world-building and characterisation although I wasn't terribly blown away by the plot - it's
a great piece of fantasy writing but a so-so mystery story.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #58 on: August 30, 2010, 04:24:08 PM
I liked a lot of things about the story.  It presented an odd world very efficiently with action not in big info-dump sections.  That was done very well.  I hate police procedural TV shows as I just find them terribly dull, but throw some supernatural elements in there and I like it very much better.  I'd definitely be interested in more from this setting.

The thing that I had trouble with is that I felt like I was always playing catchup on what each race's abilities were.  To me, I didn't get that a boggart could have its heart ripped out and survive until after the explanation was revealed.  It's hard to strike just the right balance in a mystery, not too easy so that everyone figures it out before the detective, or too hard so that the solution just comes out of nowhereville.  Ideally, I either figure it out right at the same moment as the detective, or at least when the solution is revealed, I realize that all the clues were there but I just didn't put them together.  In this case, I thought the resolution came out of nowhere.  "Oh, he's still alive, he survived the heart removal." To me it was sort of like if the Poe's Rue Morgue story had ended with "Oh, he had a time machine in the room, and he's waiting for us in the future." without any prior clues of existence of said machine.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #59 on: August 30, 2010, 04:25:36 PM
As for the story... I thought the ending was too easy, like Will just put all this stuff together and Encyclopedia Brown'd the entire mystery for us. 

Ha!  I love the use of "Encyclopedia Brown" as a verb.  I remember those stories fondly.  My poor wife has never heard of him!