Author Topic: Variant Frequencies/Murky Depths Contest  (Read 5574 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
on: May 20, 2008, 06:05:29 PM
I got this from Rick Stringer earlier today about the contest Variant Frequencies is running to promote Murky Depths and my story, "Saint Darwin's Spirituals" (VF podcast of said story available here for free. End of shameless plug. Or the beginning. You decide.) 

For everyone who is a fan of D.K. Thompson(Dave's note: all 5-10 of you)

You are running out of time for our contest!

Terry Martin, the Managing Editor and Publisher of Murky Depths, has offered us two copies of Murky Depths Issue #4 to give away. Each issue will be signed by the author of "Saint Darwin's Spirituals," D.K. Thompson, and signed by the cover artist, Vincent Chong. Here are the rules: send an email to variantfrequencies@gmail.com with the subject "Murky Depths Contest." In the email you need to tell us the name of one other story that appears in Issue #4 of Murky Depths. It is easy to find out the names of the other stories by going to murkydepths.com. Two winners will be drawn from the list of people who send us the correct answer. All entries must be in by May 31, 2008. We will announce the winners on our podcast in June.

Personally, I've been a subscriber to Murky Depths from its beginning, and I'm a fan.  If you like dark fantasy/SF, this magazine is something to behold.  It feels good in my hands everytime my issue shows up in the mailbox.

So yeah, my autograph, no big deal.  But Vincent Chong autographing that killer illustration is something you might want to check out. 

cuddlebug

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 04:20:12 PM
OMG, DKT, ...

... I just found this thread and wanted to say, excellent and absolutely AMAAAAAZZZINGGGG story. I listened to it last week and it blew me away literally. (might have had something to do with the stormy weather as well, actually, no, it was DEF the story.) Well done, I can't really think of anything to criticize, *thinking really hard ... nope ... nothing. Sorry.* (Excellent production as well, Rick mentioned it was one of the most difficult/elaborate productions to date, but well worth it, IMO)

Will have to check out the website for the competition. Hurrah!

And again, I can't say it enough, great story.

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:32:15 PM
OMG, DKT, ...

... I just found this thread and wanted to say, excellent and absolutely AMAAAAAZZZINGGGG story. I listened to it last week and it blew me away literally. (might have had something to do with the stormy weather as well, actually, no, it was DEF the story.) Well done, I can't really think of anything to criticize, *thinking really hard ... nope ... nothing. Sorry.* (Excellent production as well, Rick mentioned it was one of the most difficult/elaborate productions to date, but well worth it, IMO)

Will have to check out the website for the competition. Hurrah!

And again, I can't say it enough, great story.

Hey DKT,  How much did you pay her to post that?

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:14:08 PM
I got this from Rick Stringer earlier today about the contest Variant Frequencies is running to promote Murky Depths and my story, "Saint Darwin's Spirituals" (VF podcast of said story available here for free. End of shameless plug. Or the beginning. You decide.) 

For everyone who is a fan of D.K. Thompson(Dave's note: all 5-10 of you)

You are running out of time for our contest!

Terry Martin, the Managing Editor and Publisher of Murky Depths, has offered us two copies of Murky Depths Issue #4 to give away. Each issue will be signed by the author of "Saint Darwin's Spirituals," D.K. Thompson, and signed by the cover artist, Vincent Chong. Here are the rules: send an email to variantfrequencies@gmail.com with the subject "Murky Depths Contest." In the email you need to tell us the name of one other story that appears in Issue #4 of Murky Depths. It is easy to find out the names of the other stories by going to murkydepths.com. Two winners will be drawn from the list of people who send us the correct answer. All entries must be in by May 31, 2008. We will announce the winners on our podcast in June.

Personally, I've been a subscriber to Murky Depths from its beginning, and I'm a fan.  If you like dark fantasy/SF, this magazine is something to behold.  It feels good in my hands everytime my issue shows up in the mailbox.

So yeah, my autograph, no big deal.  But Vincent Chong autographing that killer illustration is something you might want to check out. 

Can't pass this up:)  Just entered.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 06:01:43 PM
Wow, Cuddlebug.  Thanks!  Just, Thanks!  ;D

Rick and the VF team blew me away with their production on this.  I've been a fan of theirs for a while now, but they left my jaw on the floor.  I will say, this is perhaps the best issue of Murky Depths I have as well (I've been a subscriber since they started up) and I've not yet read a story in the issue I didn't like.

In particular, the Mur Lafferty comic is hilariously sick. 

Wouldn't you like to know!  It's a strict pimp first, pay later basis, and you have yet to pimp.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 06:03:27 PM by DKT »

cuddlebug

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 08:04:45 PM
Wow, Cuddlebug.  Thanks!  Just, Thanks!  ;D

Rick and the VF team blew me away with their production on this.  I've been a fan of theirs for a while now, but they left my jaw on the floor.  I will say, this is perhaps the best issue of Murky Depths I have as well (I've been a subscriber since they started up) and I've not yet read a story in the issue I didn't like.

In particular, the Mur Lafferty comic is hilariously sick. 

Wouldn't you like to know!  It's a strict pimp first, pay later basis, and you have yet to pimp.

Yeah, actually I wouldn't mind trying those goggles, DKT.   :-*

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:58:08 PM
Hang on.  They're all fogged up right now.  ;)

cuddlebug

• Peltast
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 11:33:30 PM
Fogged up, ha?

ALL of them. Well, you better wipe them clean then.

Besides, I only need one pair, am easy to please.  ;)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 06:39:40 PM
Rick Stringer sent me an email yesterday, and it appears quite a few of you have entered.  Thanks a bunch! 

If you haven't taken a shot at it yet, you have 'til tomorrow night!