Author Topic: looking for diverse narrators  (Read 8425 times)

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
on: June 19, 2010, 08:40:53 PM
I'd like to reiterate what Anna posted elsewhere:

What we need:

• Irish narrator, male.
  • Australian narrator, female.
  • Southern USian narrators, both male and female, preferably black.
  • (I'm aware this is a stretch, but I can't get what I don't ask for) Louisiana Creole or New Orleanian narrator, gender not critical but male has slight advantage, and preferably black.

Generally speaking, and not for any given specific story, we would like to have more persons of color available for narration, of all genders.

If by any chance, you already read for us, and you fit these criteria, do let us know (frex you're an American Southerner and you can put on and take off the accent as required).

Please send voice samples, or links to voice work to editor(at)podcastle(dot)org.  Put "reader sample" or "reader audition" or something else indicative in your subject field.  And because I'm not always as astute as I'd like to think, mention which of the above categories you aim to fill (if you aim to fill one of them). 

We always accept reader samples and always consider requests to read.  You don't have to fit into the above mentioned categories to read for us.

And I'll point out that Pseudopod could use all of the above as well.  If PC hasn't found these people, we haven't either, because we definitely share narrator contact info with each other (unless a narrator were to request otherwise, I suppose...)  You can send auditions to the address above; or if for some strange reason you're especially interested in Pseudopod in particular you can send to me at editor@pseudopod.org.

What should you use as sample text?  I used to have some sample text I would send to potential narrators, but I got tired of listening to it, and it didn't contain enough dialogue anyway.  I recommend choosing something about as wordy as you can comfortably handle, with (or accompanied by another excerpt with) some dialogue between two characters.  No more than a minute or so total if you're cutting it just for an audition with us (especially if you're attaching a file of it -- in which case it should be in a compressed format like mp3).  Linking to something you've done before which you enjoyed (and which heavily features YOUR voice alone) is just fine as well.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:46:51 PM
I used Poe's "The Cask of Amontillado".  It has a good balance of narrative and dialogue in my opinion.  Just a suggestion for anyone stuck on what to read.  :) I believe it is available online to read for free if you google it.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 09:11:04 PM
I thought Geoff Michelli did a good job on EP228 and he indicated he'd like some cajun or creole work. Some listeners reacted badly to his Australian accent (hence recruitment posts like these). His post was a bit ago, but I read this recently since I just listened to the story this past week.

Let's hope that the fine EP folks ask me to narrate a story that has a cajun character, or someone from New Orleans in it... I could do those two some justice.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:49:43 PM
I'll re-link to my "audition" reading of Zenna Henderson's "Come On, Wagon!"

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1125424/Come%20On%2C%20Wagon%282%29.mp3

The accent is affected for the story since the characters are "country"; my normal speech is "unaccented American".  You can hear a bit of it at the end after the story.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:56:11 PM
I know someone who might be interested - is there any special set up or recording device I should recommend?

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:51:49 PM
I know someone who might be interested - is there any special set up or recording device I should recommend?

Varies widely with the resources of the narrator.  Google "podcasting equipment" for many, many possible options.  I use an SM-57, mixer, and Audacity to record -- but I already had the mike, stand, and mixer lying around before I got into podcasting.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:37:31 AM
...but I already had the mike, stand, and mixer lying around before I got into podcasting.

Purely out of interest, this might imply you record standing up -- do you?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 04:03:38 AM
I was under the impression Ben recorded while he was hanging upside down...  ;)

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 04:13:41 AM
I was under the impression Ben recorded while he was hanging upside down...  ;)

Only when he's not dancing on the ceiling.

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 03:13:20 PM
...but I already had the mike, stand, and mixer lying around before I got into podcasting.

Shoot no.  I sit on my couch with a printout.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/skellerina/100_2358.jpg

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 06:58:50 PM

Shoot no.  I sit on my couch with a printout.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/skellerina/100_2358.jpg

You're narrating Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus?

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

Geoff

• Extern
Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 09:29:43 PM
I thought Geoff Michelli did a good job on EP228 and he indicated he'd like some cajun or creole work. Some listeners reacted badly to his Australian accent (hence recruitment posts like these). His post was a bit ago, but I read this recently since I just listened to the story this past week.

Why thank you!  I'm in complete agreement that my ability to do accurate Australian accents is non existent.  But being from south Louisiana, I can do a pretty darn good New Orleanian accent - because I do it on a daily basis!

If you need a hand with anything, just give me a shout.  geoff -at- michelli dawt net.

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 11:18:09 PM

BarryJNorthern

• Extern
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 12:40:54 PM
None of the above, but I'm British, and happy to donate my voice if you ever need narration. British isn't just one accent though. I'm from the south coast of England, which means I can be quite posh, or more Cockney-ish (proper like, not Dick Van Dyke). I can also do a decent West-country/Somerset old-fashioned farmer-type accent. I'd pass on Scottish, Welsh or Northern-Irish though, I get those all muddled.

You can hear the most recent narration I've performed in episode 10 of Cast Macabre. The short piece by Abigail Hilton has no dialogue, but the main story has quite a bit.