Author Topic: Pseudopod torrent?  (Read 29051 times)

H. Bergeron

• Palmer
  • COACH! Check this out!
on: May 21, 2008, 06:43:23 AM
I'll admit it, I don't actually mind running through the whole website to grab all of the old copies of the podcast - but there's got to be an easier way than just beating on the servers (and my own internet connection) to download back podcasts, micromanagement-style.  So I'm asking, pleeeease - is there an existing torrent of the first, uh, 63 torrents?  That is, up to the last one that isn't in the feed?

I have this little habit - I love to listen to podcasts on the bus while I ride to and from school.  This is great and all, but two to three hours of public transit time, plus assorted walking-around time, amounts to quite a bit more than one podcast's worth of time.  I know I'll eventually deplete the available podcasts at this rate no matter what I do, but - c'est la vie, as they say.

Can someone give me a hand and throw up a .torrent of Pseudopod, so far?  I'd appreciate it, and leave it seeding (at least while I can get away with it - usually overnight, when the other people in the house won't complain about me eating bandwidth).

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:16:45 PM by Talia »

Formerly Ignoranus - now too big for my britches, literally and figuratively.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 03:19:00 PM
Bump!

We really do need one a torrent, and I don't think I can get away with running a torrent server anywhere currently available to me.  If anyone has one you don't mind seeding from, drop me a line at editor@pseudopod.org and we'll get you a file you can seed.  Thanks!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 03:45:23 PM
I would but i'd be stripped of internet privileges (damn college campuses)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 04:43:01 PM
Bump!

We really do need one a torrent, and I don't think I can get away with running a torrent server anywhere currently available to me.  If anyone has one you don't mind seeding from, drop me a line at editor@pseudopod.org and we'll get you a file you can seed.  Thanks!
What exactly is needed in order to 'seed' a torrent?
I've only been a leach.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 02:49:47 AM
well after you download the full torrent, usually you automatically start seeding (at least with Azureus)
soooo im guessing you use a torrenting program to make a torrent, and it'll auto seed.  i really dont know much about it... use your googley eyes :P

Russell Nash

Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 09:48:10 PM
I think if we can get enough people to just seed on their regular computers, we'll be able to keep it going enough.  I have unlimited bandwidth, so I don't mind being one whenever my computer is on. 

If Ben starts it and sends the torrent to just me, I'll start running for the first five to ten people who want to help out and then we can just let everyone get it.  Just ask everyone to return the favor by seeded for a week or so after they get it. 

It won't necessarily be the most reliable feed,  but it will probably do for a while.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 12:16:10 AM
or you can just wait for an anthology on CD :)

Russell Nash

Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 10:59:37 AM
I think three torrents would be best.  Eps 1-20, 21-40, 41-63.  I'm sure that most of the folks currently interested in the torrents have already downloaded some from the site.  There's no reason to waste bandwidth on folks re-downloading 30 eps they already have.

When more eps should hit the torrent we can make it eps 41-60 and 61-80.

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 08:44:37 PM
All you need to torrent is to download a copy of Utorrent. Then make a folder with the files included in the torrent, and click on create new torrent in the drop down file menu on Utorrent. It should then generate a torrent file, and that file can be shared across the internet however you like. I used a similar system to transfer my music to the computers in college.

I would make a torrent file, but I don't have an account on any of the torrent websites. I could post a mega-upload link on this board to help you out though, if anyone's still interested.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 06:39:08 AM
All you need to torrent is to download a copy of Utorrent. Then make a folder with the files included in the torrent, and click on create new torrent in the drop down file menu on Utorrent. It should then generate a torrent file, and that file can be shared across the internet however you like. I used a similar system to transfer my music to the computers in college.

I think you also have to post to a "torrent tracker", or nobody will know that you're seeding a new torrent.  Once the tracker knows that the torrent exists, then any extant seeds can be found and downloaded from.  But I know from personal experience that nobody will download a torrent that you created unless and until you notify a tracker.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 09:34:08 PM
Right. I'm going to give this a go, or it won't get done. I'll post links here when I'm finished, and I'll probably put it up with The Pirate Bay, because they're pretty trustworthy and reliable.

RobinSure

• Extern
Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 02:22:38 PM
Archive torrent.

Will leave seeding, hopefully 24/7, though may be occasionally slow (bandwidth throttled at busy times):
http://www.mininova.org/tor/2083431
http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1721217/

sixwordsounds.blogspot.com

Russell Nash

Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 03:53:48 PM
Archive torrent.

Will leave seeding, hopefully 24/7, though may be occasionally slow (bandwidth throttled at busy times):
http://www.mininova.org/tor/2083431
http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1721217/

Just checked it out.  Everything is on here up to episode 118. 

I will be downloading it and seeding whenever my computer is on.  If anyone else downloads, please seed it for as long as you can.

RobinSure

• Extern
Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 03:57:17 PM
Unfortunately, I should probably have put a bit more thought into it. There are a number of errors in naming it seems. I my be tempted to do it again at some point, but if you can live with the occasional error, it should do you. My upload speed seems a bit low though. Any suggestions on how to help it along?

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 12:56:59 AM
Are these the ones that will register as podcasts in iTunes, or are they just .mp3 files?

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 12:59:09 AM
I think three torrents would be best.  Eps 1-20, 21-40, 41-63.  I'm sure that most of the folks currently interested in the torrents have already downloaded some from the site.  There's no reason to waste bandwidth on folks re-downloading 30 eps they already have.

You don't have to download the whole thing.  Get a good torrent client and you should be able to select which files in the torrent you want.  I use μtorrent.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 01:02:20 AM by stePH »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 01:06:20 AM
azureus (vuse) is a good one too

Russell Nash

Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 08:10:00 AM

You don't have to download the whole thing.  Get a good torrent client and you should be able to select which files in the torrent you want.  I use μtorrent.

Since I wrote that, I have gotten a better program.  It is Transmission for OSX.  Very good, Very fast  and it lets you select which items you want. 

Don't forget to seed!

Russell Nash

Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 10:20:23 AM
Completed downloading.  Will be seeded whenever I'm online.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 12:21:10 PM
Cool!  Thanks guys.  Now help me out:  should I link to http://www.mininova.org/tor/2083431 from the main page, or just host the .torrent file in our web space?

Russell Nash

Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 12:24:29 PM
Cool!  Thanks guys.  Now help me out:  should I link to http://www.mininova.org/tor/2083431 from the main page, or just host the .torrent file in our web space?

Any reason you can't do both?

The one thing about linking to the website is that I don't know how long they keep the links before deleting them.  Maybe forever, maybe only for one month after the last download.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 02:24:22 PM
Completed downloading.  Will be seeded whenever I'm online.

Mine will seed from the hours of 2200-0700 Pacific time (thanks μtorrent scheduler  :))

:( Unfortunately it's recognized in iTunes as "music" not "podcast" so I don't know how long I'll bother to keep it on my system.  Through the end of the year at least, I promise.

RobinSure

• Extern
Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 06:37:30 PM
Ben,

The mininova site was having some difficulty giving the torrent. A link to the demonoid page would work, as would a download of the torrent file. The file might be best, as eventually I'll need to add files, and that would require updating demonoid.

Russell Nash

Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 07:29:18 PM
Can you update a torrent or would you need to restart it?  Would I need to re-download so that I could seed again or would it just add to what I already have seeding?

RobinSure

• Extern
Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 09:06:33 PM
I had thought it was possible to update a torrent, but google's giving me no help. When I get back home (currently on a jet engine training course), I'll set up a test, to see if it's possible by some jiggery-pokery, to keep the same files you've already got, and then only add the new ones.

Of course, if this doesn't work, it would be possible to just bring one out every ten episodes or so, though that would get a bit messy in my opinion.

I'm also tempted to just set up something equivalent to the escapearchive.com site, as that should be possible quite easily, just using another blog. That'll take a while though. An important question though, is why do files drop off the end of the feed? Is there an inherent limitation on the number of items?