Author Topic: new torchwood  (Read 8795 times)

oddpod

• Matross
on: January 16, 2008, 09:54:11 PM
just finished watching the new torchwood

looks good so far, an improvment i think.
thow thare are still a few daft wholes

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:55:07 PM
And it's nice to see that fish aliens have a healthy respect for the Highway code don't you think?

I dug that quite a bit.  I especially liked how they seemed to deliberately approach a lot of the serious problems last season (Let's bicker pointlessly!  Let's talk about sex a lot!  Let's piss and whine endlessly!  Look Jack's on a rooftop!) into running gags:)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 01:57:13 AM
oboy ... wonder how many years I have to wait before it's running in the States. 

Still waiting for the Doctor Who Christmas 2007 special too.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 07:32:18 AM
January 26th, this year, apparently:)

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 12:59:25 PM
oboy ... wonder how many years I have to wait before it's running in the States. 

A buddy of mine found a...ahem...unorthodox...way to stream it.  He also got sick of waiting for it.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 01:49:43 PM

A buddy of mine found a...ahem...unorthodox...way to stream it.  He also got sick of waiting for it.

I did that with the first season of Torchwood and the "Runaway Bride" special.  But my computer right now is, to quote C3PO, "not entirely stable."

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 03:46:31 PM
As another heretic, it's the only way to go. The way they(British TV shows) get cut up with commercials doesn't work as well because it's not written in the same format as US. One of the problems with BBC:A in my opinion.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 11:20:12 AM
It's a lot better, most of the cringingly stupid things about the first season seem to have been forgotten, they've decided that a secret government agency driving around in cars with their name on them is daft, so there seems to be a general level of acceptance that they exist, even if people don't know where they are based. The team now seem to be pretty competent at their jobs now, last season, if presented with a door, Ianto would cry at it, Tosh would be too embarrassed to open it and Owen would be trying to rape it. But now they all seem to know what they are doing although there is still a bit of a 'why do Torchwood need a butler?' about Ianto, I know he's supposed to manage the base and be computer guy, but they seem to give a lot of this to Tosh as well, so that he ends up doing little other than stand around pointing out that, no, he won't have sex with Owen.

The second episode wasn't as good as the first. I think the show needs to concentrate on the team being the ones primarily in danger, rather than persuading me that these are the right people to save the world from hidden nuclear warheads in Cardiff.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 10:55:13 AM
Friend of mine has a theory that Ianto is being quietly repositioned as the team's Intel Analyst, which would make sense both given his somewhat nebulous job description and the fact he worked at Torchwood One.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 03:50:21 AM
Is it just me or is Toshiko the emotional punching bag of the show.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 06:39:13 PM
It does seem like that at times. Which is a shame, because I quite often want Owen to be used as an ACTUAL punching bag...

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 02:00:46 AM
It does seem like that at times. Which is a shame, because I quite often want Owen to be used as an ACTUAL punching bag...
I'm all for tossing him into the Weevil cage and seeing if he can go two falls out of three  :)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 06:07:25 PM
Is it just me or is Toshiko the emotional punching bag of the show.

I was actually talking to a friend of mine about this earlier today.  We agreed that the best thing to do for the show in a lot of ways, would be to actually have characters operate outside their comfort zone because then they can do nothing but grow.  I agree, a Tosh story where she gets the girl/guy/alien and it's not actually an emotional meatgrinder would be great.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 06:43:00 AM
A drawback to Torchwood thus far is that while Doctor Who is supposedly for kids and Torchwood for teenagers DW does deal with human emotions in a much more mature manner, see the end of 'Parting of the Ways' or 'Doomsday' and compare to the end of 'Cyberwoman' or the feverish hysteria at the end of series one of Torchwood.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 07:58:41 PM

Liminal

• EA Staff
    • These Liminal Days
Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 10:10:43 PM
If you haven't seen this yet, you must check out Torchwood Babiez:

http://tw-babiez.livejournal.com/

Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness? - Artemus Ward

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 02:54:42 AM
I have a feeling that the British equivalent of the Catholic League will have problems with this last two episode arc (and apparently the next one), but as one of the few, few people that liked Owen, it's nice he's getting some real chance to grow.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 01:59:28 AM
God, that ender was a one-two punch only mollified by the fact that The Doctor came back today.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 03:19:31 AM
God, that ender was a one-two punch only mollified by the fact that The Doctor came back today.

Nevermind, just finished watching The Doctor, it's a one-two-three punch.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 07:29:56 PM
It's impressive how quickly Torchwood jumps around, like an infant that's given a can of Red Bull then allowed to stay up past it's bedtime. The last episode was a masterclass in ignoring both continuity and internal consistency, or maybe Gwen letting John off for everything he did was actually supposed to be a subtle sign that BBC Wales don't like Cardiff either and think a few nuclear explosions might improve the place...

NoveltySeeker

• Extern
Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 06:58:48 PM
Yes, I was a fit bummed by the last episode, and yet consoled by Dr. Who.  However, It may take a few episodes of season 3 to become attached to new characters, so allowances should be made to content.  And, although with Dr. Who there is the constant changing of companions, the aggravation is more that I am not the one chosen. :)

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 07:55:07 PM
Well, to be honest, even John Barrowman's good looks and the prospect of more JackIanto fiddling with each other while Cardiff burns is unlikely to drag me back to the Hub for the third season, everyone is thoroughly miserable and for someone that is now several centuries old Jack has lamentable man management skills.