Author Topic: Pseudopod 181: Spirit of Nationalism  (Read 7563 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: February 14, 2010, 09:38:11 AM
Pseudopod 181: Spirit of Nationalism

By Richard Marsden
Read by Mike Bennett

The wind bit into his skin like daggers into flesh. The cold was like no other he had felt, and he knew it was only going to get worse, day by day. Never mind the night; even people such as himself had to find shelter by night or end up a victim of his own trade by dawn. Gregorie’s eyes panned out across the vast, empty, bleak Russian landscape. It reminded him of looking out to sea from the docks at Cherbourg, with its long piers and obstacle strewn harbor to keep His enemies at bay. The steppes of Russia, much like the waters outside the port city.

Here and there he could spy a single tree, or what looked to be a hill or solitary steeple. White land, white skies, and cold wind made Gregorie curse Him again. Why had they marched so far? What was the point of Borodino and the thousands dead they had to leave unburied, and only a week ago had to trample upon as they retreated? There was no point, beyond the vainglory visions of a man. Of Him!

A groan redirected Gregorie’s thoughts. He looked at the makeshift path the Grand Army had carved through the snow. While Russia might be near-featureless, His army was leaving behind plenty of markers.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:58:58 AM
I liked this one -- good, classic ghost story. Nicely done.

Forgive me for saying so, but I kept expecting one of the characters to say: "I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

feste451

• Extern
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 04:26:44 PM
I do love me a good ghost story.

The author did an especially fine job with the imagery and I could almost feel the bitter cold of a Russian winter. I had to double-check the window to make sure it was closed.

Had I been a more attentive student of history, I might have been able to guess the identity of Him. Still, when it was revealed, it really was no surprise. There are very few historical figures able to inspire that level of Nationalistic spirit. Even fewer could foment unrest among the dead.

Entropy requires no maintenance.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 06:48:03 PM
I particularly liked that, from our comfortable perspective in the future, we know just how futile their newfound hope and vigor is.  That, I think, is what makes this story reach into the uncomfortable zone of horror instead of just a ghost story.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:30:56 PM
I usually don't like historical settings much, but this one was used very well.  I'm no history buff, but one of the things I happen to remember is that Napoleon's first great defeat was trying to attack Russia--In a country so vast it became a war of attrition, and he ended up heading in during winter.  Presumably that's where the Sicilian's oft-quoted line came from:  "Never get involved in a land war in Asia.  But only slightly less well-known is this:  Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line!  Hahahahaha!  Hahahahaa!  HAhaha--"

It did make me feel like I was there, and though i guessed that the other soldier was the living dead, it didn't bother me to know that well before the protagonist--the anticipation of the reveal was as great as the reveal itself.

This one my dad might even like--he is a huge history buff, and he's told me about Napoleon's attempt to attack Russia many a time before.  He doesn't usually read horror or science fiction, but the historical setting might be enough to draw him in.

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 10:13:04 PM
Really enjoyed this one both in terms of the scene setting which made driving across snow covered moors feel really really cold and  the simple story told well. Almost seemed like one of  Holdstocks mythagos in as much as he reminded me of the Blighty Bill character from WW1 who always helped lost soldiers back to their lines, a character born out of the need of the protaganist and therefore a character and device in one.

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Sylvan

• Palmer
    • The Darken Hollow
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 01:26:22 AM
Fantastic!

I don't post in the forums all that often; usually only when I find a tale that really makes me stand up and take notice.  What we have here is a classic ghost story.  On top of that, it's a grand historic tale, too!

It didn't horrify me but that wasn't what it was about.  This was one of those tales in which the spectre-from-beyond offers a warning.

"And when he turned around, she could see that he was dead" is a long-standing tradition in many tales as an ending in which a creepy or foreboding character turns out to be a guiding figure from beyond the grave.  Absolutely perfect and a welcome visit to a place I'd forgotten from my youth!

Thank you, PseudoPod!

Yours,
Sylvan (Dave)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 04:37:46 AM
@sylvan, love the avatar dude, really nice.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 04:29:33 PM
I usually don't like historical settings much, but this one was used very well. 
I loves me some historicals, especially when I'm at least passingly familiar with the setting.  But usually even if not.

I'm no history buff, but one of the things I happen to remember is that Napoleon's first great defeat was trying to attack Russia--In a country so vast it became a war of attrition, and he ended up heading in during winter. 
A history lesson that Hitler failed to learn from, incidentally.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

cdugger

• Peltast
  • I read to be smart...er.
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 01:44:32 AM
Good, classic style ghost story. Kinda predictable, but still enjoyable.

I, too, kept expecting "you silly Arthur King!"

I read, therefore I am...happy.

Rhio2k

• Extern
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 03:52:36 AM
2 things:

1: great story, totally didn't see the ending coming.

2: stePH, what anime is your cowbell image from?

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 06:59:24 PM
i enjoyed this one as much the last Marsden story.  glad that the land war master kept his feet on dry land this time. =P  how does he keep getting these awesome readers? i'm sure other authors would like to know.

this method of including a famous historical figure in a story without explicitly saying the name is what i was talking about in i am your need.  handled correctly it can be much more powerful.

those unfamiliar with Napolean's march to moscow might find Minard's infographic interesting.  brown is the march into russia, black the march out.  of the 400,000 men that started the march only one in a hundred would finish it.  it's surprising just how deadly the natural obstacles were, a frozen river or a dip in temperature could cost tens of thousands of lives.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 03:37:13 PM
2: stePH, what anime is your cowbell image from?

Shoujo Kakumei UTENA (Revolutionary Girl Utena).  Specifically, episode #16 Shiawase no KAUBERU "Cowbell of Happiness"

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 06:52:07 PM
Here's a funny story: one of my co-workers has a board at her desk labeled "Outstanding Campaigns" -- meaning campaigns that should've gone live already but aren't live because something is missing. They're labeled by order number and client name (ie: 12345 -- Jones Big Ass Truck Rental And Storage). Yesterday I found out that today was her last day. So I went to her cube and, under the list, wrote:

1812 -- Napoleon's invasion of Russia

It looked pretty close to her handwriting. She thought it was quite amusing.

This morning, I finally listened to this episode.

Serendipity?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

ancawonka

• Palmer
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 05:56:55 PM
This was an awesome, classic story.  I figured out what was going on immediately (a French accent?  Russia?  Him?) which made it that much more enjoyable.    The reading was just gravelly enough to make it rather chilling.  I had to listen to it in two sittings, and I couldn't wait till I got back to it.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 02:56:54 PM
I saw that the guard was dead before Gregorie. However, I was expecting a terrible tortorus fate for being a scavenger, rather than redemption (even if he still had a vastly reduced chance of making it back to France). I was pleasantly surprised by this nice ghost story. Well done.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”