Author Topic: Pseudopod 91: Caesar’s Ghost  (Read 12997 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 04:57:59 PM
I liked the premise of this one with the dead pets coming back to save her and also to exact their own revenge.  It really hit home with the tortured animals, as I'm an animal lover.  I have 3 dogs who are still quite young, and thinking about them getting old and dying just makes me sick to my stomach.  Thinking about them being hurt or killed prematurely is even worse.  So... I probably won't be listening to this one again, for that reason.

My main complaint about it though was the guy turning out to be another Hollywood psycho.  Once he flipped it registered high on the "meh" scale, despite the otherwise interesting story.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 05:31:15 PM
I have 3 dogs who are still quite young, and thinking about them getting old and dying just makes me sick to my stomach.

I have 4 German shepherds, had 5 yesterday if u know what I mean, she was the fifth dog of mine to go, and even tho she annoyed me it's still sad to see a friend go. However sadly I am so used to it by now it's much easier to accept.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 10:20:51 PM
This one gets a negative reaction from me.  It's not a strong negative, but I was just completely unimpressed.

1.  The boyfriend's transition from friendly guy to psycho killer is far too abrupt.  I realize it can SEEM that way in real life, but some inconsipicuous foreshadowing would have been nice.

2.  Who didn't see the ending coming?  Ghost of animal friend saves lady.  That was definately not a shock.  Played it straight right up to the last.

3.  Maybe this is just me, but I found this whole thing positively oozing with sickly-sweet sentimentality.  From the friendly critters all too happy to help in an all-too-human way (as if a ferret would know to bring you scissors) to the vengeful animal ghosts to the happy little parade at the end - this was pretty darn close to a Disney movie in my opinion.

4.  The language was lackluster.  Clumsy metaphor and nothing that stood out.  The pacing was good though, cannot fault it there.  The tension might have existed, had the ending not been foregone.  Not to be judgemental or imply anything here, but it felt like the author was simply not brave enough to have anything legitimately bad happen to the protagonist.

EDIT: forgot to add that the reading was GREAT, as was the outro.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:28:22 PM by Millenium_King »

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.