Author Topic: PC009: Wisteria  (Read 30706 times)

eytanz

Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 05:29:34 PM
Aren't hurricanes always female oriented names?

Not since 1979.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 12:54:57 AM
A google search turns up a few dirt cake recipes that do call for baking. May be regional differences.
I did a very brief search, obviously not as thorough as yours. Probably is a regional thing.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 04:05:33 AM
I did a very brief search, obviously not as thorough as yours.

I cheated and used "dirt cake bake" as my search criteria. ;-)

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 04:41:52 AM
Aren't hurricanes always female oriented names?

Not since 1979.

Somehow that makes me want to feel old, but instead I just feel uninformed. I seem to recall a pretty grumpy hurricane with a boy name... Andrew? At least these forums are educational!

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 05:04:07 AM
I did a very brief search, obviously not as thorough as yours.

I cheated and used "dirt cake bake" as my search criteria. ;-)
lol! D'oh! I just did "dirt cake."

Hatton

• Peltast
    • Front Porch Political Talk
Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 01:36:11 PM
Dirt cake or no, I really enjoyed this story!  The biggest thing that hit home with me was the complete Southern-ness of the main character.  Having grown up in the south (and been one of those toe-headed boys), I remember Mabel, who was every bit a Dalia in mannerism and attitude.  This story brought back good memories about things that I haven't thought about in a LONG time.

The story was well written, the narration excellent and the tagline was made up ;)

Normal is just a setting on the washing machine.

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 01:11:25 AM
I enjoyed this little fantasy romance. I'd rather not have this every week, but a sprinkling is nice.

KingWulfgar

• Extern
Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 01:18:06 PM
Sorry.  I really didn't care for this story.  The reading was well-done and nailed the character completely.  I just didn't see any fantasy in it and lately I have such narrow tastes for stories.

Keep up the good work, though.  1 (not so good) out of 9 isn't bad.   ;D

Myrealana

• Peltast
    • Bad Foodie
Reply #33 on: August 04, 2008, 08:15:04 PM
I'm sorry, I don't like that tagline - it sounds forced.

"You don't fix faith. Faith fixes you." - Shepherd Book

KnitWitch

• Extern
    • KnitWitch’s Scifi/Fantasy Zone
Reply #34 on: October 16, 2008, 11:13:10 PM
I just wanted to drop in with big thanks for the kind words about my narration of “Wisteria”. I am listening today to this story myself for the first time since recording it many months ago and I loved the story all over again. Maybe it’s because I was born and raised in the South. Or perhaps that I’ve lost all my grandparents over the last two years and right now am dealing with my own father’s recent stroke, but this story manages to touch something in me and brings tears to my eyes even now.

Those who know me or my podcast (yes, it’s in hiatus again) know that I am a pretty hardcore scifi & fantasy junkie. However, I did not mind the non-traditional branch of fantasy presented in Ada Milenkovic Brown’s story and rather quite enjoyed playing at the edge of the genre with a different form. Thank you to PodCastle for asking me to perform the reading and once again to the listeners for your kind review of my work!

BTW, the website linked on my name is not my website.  Mine is www.knitwitchzone.com and previous episodes are still available for download while I'm plotting what's next for the show(s)...

Hop the next wormhole and enter the Zone for Season Two - KnitWitch’s Scifi/Fantasy Zone

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #35 on: October 17, 2008, 12:07:42 AM
I just wanted to drop in with big thanks for the kind words about my narration of “Wisteria”.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, KnitWitch.  I didn't say so in the thread but I did love your reading.  Having lived in the South for a long time, I find Southern accents to be strangely comforting.  It may be what attracts me to some of Mur's readings also.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

KnitWitch

• Extern
    • KnitWitch’s Scifi/Fantasy Zone
Reply #36 on: October 17, 2008, 12:18:37 AM
I just wanted to respond with a thanks for the kind words about my reading of “Wisteria”. I am listening today to this episode myself for the first time (the 1st time I've heard the story since recording it many months ago) and I loved the story all over again.  Maybe it’s because I was born and raised in the South. Or perhaps that I’ve lost all my grandparents over the last two years and right now am dealing with my own father’s recent stroke, but this story manages to touch something in me and brings tears to my eyes even now.

The family stuff mentioned above and some other critical things have pulled me away from online and recording activity for a while, so I'm catching up on lots of things that have happened since May... I am glad to see in the posts about the story that the accent was not too much or an obstacle to understanding the story...

Those who know me or my podcast (yes, it’s in hiatus again) know that I am a long-time, pretty hardcore scifi & fantasy junkie. However, I did not mind the non-traditional branch of fantasy presented in Ada Milenkovic Brown’s story and actually quite enjoyed playing at the edge of the genre with a different form. Thank you to the folks of PodCastle for asking me to perform the reading and once again to the listeners for your kind review of my work!

Hop the next wormhole and enter the Zone for Season Two - KnitWitch’s Scifi/Fantasy Zone

Zathras

Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 10:24:18 PM
I'm catching up, so pardon the topic ressurection.

I had to turn this one off mid-way through it.  Not because I didn't like it, but because I had to call my wife to tell her I love you.    Fabulous story, but I have to fall on the not fantasy side of the fence. 

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 06:09:38 PM
Excellent writing, excellent reading.

It didn't really connect with me though, I think it's just that I didn't relate strongly to the character, perhaps because I've never been to the south, I'm nowhere near the same age, I'm not particularly good with kids, a variety of things.

I wouldn't call this fantasy by my own classifications, but I don't mind that.  I like that Podcastle has a very broad definition, it lets me get a taste of a variety of styles.  Pseudopod is good that way too with their broad definition of horror.  But for my personal tastes I like stronger fantasy elements.