Author Topic: Film Poll Reloaded - Finals groups A  (Read 12659 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: May 28, 2008, 06:22:41 PM
Okay, time to start the filmpolls up again, with the finals! We had 120 films in 30 weeks, and 18 films won (or tied) at least one week. Two movies won four straight times and were retired. For the finals, I ranked how well the films did (based largely on how many weeks they won) and put them in a tier system.  Since 18 is an awkward number, I added two films that performed very well but never won, and put them at the bottom of the groups. There are four groups, each with a good mix of films that never faced each other in the normal poll.  The top tier films do not appear in the groups.  Each group winner will go up against a top tier film in the next round.  Then the four winners will go up against each other in 1 v. 1 semi-finals, leading up to the final Escape Artist's favorite film showdown...

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:24:41 PM
Cool!  Thanks for taking the time to set this all up. 

My vote this week:  LOTR. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:47:50 PM

Wow, much tougher call this time, but Casablanca still rules...

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 10:22:06 PM
Tough call LotR vs. Casablanca...I'll have to think about this for a while.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:23:44 PM
Man! No kidding. Tough call... out of all of them, I've probably seen MP&THG more than the rest put together, buuuut... hmm.... gonna have to ponder this one.

Russell Nash

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:51:11 AM
Good set up for the finals.

Casablanca all the way.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 02:43:38 PM
I'm gonna have to go with LOTR. I haven't seen Casablanca in yearsdecades, and while I love Holy Grail, I can't say it's in my Top 20 favorite movies of all time.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 11:12:36 PM
Turning out closer than I thought, though the top seed is winning.  I'm very interested to see if any of the group winners will eventually beat the top tier movies though...

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 04:40:24 PM
Man can't I vote for all of them?  It's too hard to narrow they're all excellent movies.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 10:37:15 PM
In the end, I went with Casablanca.  Although if it had been FotR, I might've gone the other way.  Not that it looks like it matters, though.  The final finals should be interesting.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 03:44:42 AM
I'm a bit baffled that Holy Grail is winning... I voted for it!   ???

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 04:26:23 AM
You're used to supporting lost causes, you mean?  Bah.  You probably voted for it in the first round, too  :D

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 01:20:13 PM
You're used to supporting lost causes, you mean?  Bah.  You probably voted for it in the first round, too  :D

Let's just say that when it's a matter of *opinion*, I'm usually vastly outnumbered.

I don't remember what it was up against in the first round, but chances are good that's what I picked.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 02:39:22 PM

Let's just say that when it's a matter of *opinion*, I'm usually vastly outnumbered.

I don't remember what it was up against in the first round, but chances are good that's what I picked.

I had no choice but to vote for MPatHG.

As I've said before, I can't really say I've seen Casablanca.

LotR: RotK is not a complete movie, but only the last third of a much longer one.

And The Shining is a Kubrick film.  ::)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 06:19:21 PM

Hum, let's see... Holy Grail went up against a lot of pictures.

It came in at week 8, against Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Army of Darkness, and Schindler's List.

It won week 9 vs. Harold and Maude, The Lion in Winter, Time Bandits, and Terminator 2

It lost in week 10 vs The Matrix, and also faced Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Hellboy.

Yes, I do keep notes - why do you ask?

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 06:58:39 PM
Hrrm...

I couldn't find week 8...(oh, wait... there it is!; I didn't vote, but I think I probably would have gone for Schindler's List... that was another really tough group)

I didn't manage to vote week 9 OR week 10...

...and my votes wouldn't have affected the outcome either way.  I don't know how I would have decided week 10; tough group!

Edit: to my week 8 comment
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 07:01:22 PM by Tango Alpha Delta »

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 05:40:51 AM
Hrrm...

I couldn't find week 8...(oh, wait... there it is!; I didn't vote, but I think I probably would have gone for Schindler's List... that was another really tough group)
I think I would have felt too guilty to not vote Schindler's List. Putting it up against Holy Grail is almost like comparing apples and orangutans.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 06:21:43 AM
I think I would have felt too guilty to not vote Schindler's List. Putting it up against Holy Grail is almost like comparing apples and orangutans.

And yet, when the poll was actually run, no one voted Schindler's List. 

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 02:17:42 PM

I'd never vote for it, cos' I've never seen it.  Probably never will.

eytanz

Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 03:13:05 PM

I would never vote for it either. It's an important movie, and one I think people should see, but judging it on its artistic merits as opposed to its sociological value, it is not a great movie.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 07:32:03 PM

I would never vote for it either. It's an important movie, and one I think people should see, but judging it on its artistic merits as opposed to its sociological value, it is not a great movie.
But it's artistic merits aren't horrible either. I mean, some movies' artistic merits are so bad, any sociological value is lost by the distracting pain in the eyeballs... this wasn't one of those. I feel like it's sociological value more than makes up for any points it loses in artistic merit. That's not to imply that you don't reel the same, I'm just saying... ;)

Edit: I forgot to ask the question that was the whole point of this post: So what are we rating these movies on? Artistic merit, sure, but to what degree? Does any sociological merit count? Or is it just gonna vary from person to person? I know there are no hard and fast rules, but I was just curious what the majority rule was...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 07:34:19 PM by birdless »

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 07:41:41 PM
Edit: I forgot to ask the question that was the whole point of this post: So what are we rating these movies on? Artistic merit, sure, but to what degree? Does any sociological merit count? Or is it just gonna vary from person to person? I know there are no hard and fast rules, but I was just curious what the majority rule was...

It's pretty clearly stated in the poll: "Which movie do you like best?"

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 08:13:58 PM
Ah, but what does "best" mean? Or, for that matter, "like"?

Science means that not all dreams can come true

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 08:21:35 PM
Ah, but what does "best" mean? Or, for that matter, "like"?

What is the definition of "is" ?  :P

It's a subjective question.  Use your own judgement for values of "like" and "best".

eytanz

Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 08:23:12 PM
But it's artistic merits aren't horrible either. I mean, some movies' artistic merits are so bad, any sociological value is lost by the distracting pain in the eyeballs... this wasn't one of those. I feel like it's sociological value more than makes up for any points it loses in artistic merit. That's not to imply that you don't reel the same, I'm just saying... ;)

Actually, my previous sentence is guilty of hyperbole. There are many crappier movies, and thus many possible movie polls in which I would vote for Schindler's List.

But in this sort of poll, I tend to vote based on my reaction to the movie, not my reaction to the topics the movie was about. A good movie about a topic I find unimportant (say, Holy Grail) would trump an ok movie about an important topic (Schindler's List).