Author Topic: PC010: Magic in a Certain Slant of Light  (Read 36033 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 09:20:16 PM
Just want to say that I think this story is simply beautiful, and was beautifully narrated.  So much unspoken, so much implied.  Fiercely intelligent and deeply moving. Whatever 'fantasy' may be, this transcends such limitations of genre - this is literature.

It does strike me as the sort of story one might read in a high school or college English class, yes.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Void Munashii

• Matross
  • twitter.com/VOIDMunashii
    • Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse
Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 10:23:14 PM
Just want to say that I think this story is simply beautiful, and was beautifully narrated.  So much unspoken, so much implied.  Fiercely intelligent and deeply moving. Whatever 'fantasy' may be, this transcends such limitations of genre - this is literature.

I have to agree. This story, to me, is sort of the polar opposite of last week's EP. I decribed "Kallakak's Cousins" as literary popcorn, ligjt, fun, not particularly filling. MiaCSoL is the opposite, it's a sort of literary bran, you have to chew it a lot, it tastes pretty good (as opposed to say, brussel sprouts), and it's good for you.

You have to think about what happened in the story to get the most out of it, my wife and I have spent some time discussing what the ending means. She felt there was really no resolution, as where I thought that everything was resolved, if a little awkwardly. On the other hand we have spent no time at all discussing KC, because while it was a very fun and enjoyable story, it did not have the fiber to really make us chew it over. There's nothing wrong with either, and it's good to have both in a balanced diet.

Enough food comparisons... now I'm getting hungry.

"Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse"
http://mallvillestory.blogspot.com

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 11:10:40 PM
This story, to me, is sort of the polar opposite of last week's EP. I decribed "Kallakak's Cousins" as literary popcorn, ligjt, fun, not particularly filling. MiaCSoL is the opposite, it's a sort of literary bran, you have to chew it a lot, it tastes pretty good (as opposed to say, brussel sprouts), and it's good for you.

You have to think about what happened in the story to get the most out of it, my wife and I have spent some time discussing what the ending means. She felt there was really no resolution, as where I thought that everything was resolved, if a little awkwardly.

I'm inclined to agree with your wife.  I didn't feel the resolution when I listened, though I can see the point that others raise here (that the end indicates that Jeff will not leave and break her heart.)

(And incidentally, I happen to love brussels sprouts and will take any excuse to have them with dinner.)

ajames

• Lochage
Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 01:50:29 AM
Thanks to your reply to my post, eytanz. You make some good points, and I like your interpretation much better. I will have to listen to the ending again; I definitely was distracted at a couple of places the first time through.

eytanz

Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 01:54:20 PM
Thanks to your reply to my post, eytanz. You make some good points, and I like your interpretation much better. I will have to listen to the ending again; I definitely was distracted at a couple of places the first time through.

Um, did you mean Cuddlebug? I didn't post a reply on this thread since you last posted (and Cuddlebug and I may be co-workers, but we're not the same person).

Void Munashii

• Matross
  • twitter.com/VOIDMunashii
    • Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse
Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 03:04:21 PM
I'm inclined to agree with your wife.  I didn't feel the resolution when I listened, though I can see the point that others raise here (that the end indicates that Jeff will not leave and break her heart.)

(And incidentally, I happen to love brussels sprouts and will take any excuse to have them with dinner.)

He did leave though, he went and discovered that valley and found the talking dog, and he came back. What she couldn't see was that he wasn't leaving forever, not yet anyway (everyone leaves eventually, after all). That is hiw I saw the ending anyay.

you know, I was originally going to suggest spinach instead, but I figured less people like brussel sprouts than spinach... how about lima beans then?

"Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse"
http://mallvillestory.blogspot.com

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 04:22:35 PM

He did leave though, he went and discovered that valley and found the talking dog, and he came back. What she couldn't see was that he wasn't leaving forever, not yet anyway (everyone leaves eventually, after all). That is hiw I saw the ending anyay.

No, I disagree.  I think eytanz had the right of it with:
I don't think you can explain her initial premonition that way - it wasn't a prophecy with wording that can be reinterpreted - I think it was pretty clear that she had a sense of what he will do, not what she can say about what he will do. Plus, she had a clear sense that he will break her heart, which the ending seemed to contradict.

Ragtime

• Palmer
    • Comic Book Thoughts
Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 06:32:55 PM
In literary terms, generally, fantasy literature tends to get grouped into the "Uncanny" and the "Bizarre."  The dividing line is generally whether or not the story is physically possible.

Henry James's fiction tends to be the prototype of "Uncanny."  The woman believes she is being haunted by a ghost of an ex-lover.  She runs into a dark room, screams, and when the lights come on she is dead.  Was it really a ghost?  Or was she going insane, and scared herself into a heart attack?  Either option is possible.

"Bizarre" is on the other side of the line, where the story makes it clear that the Ghost walked into the room and throttles the ex-lover.

Last week's Wisteria fell very clearly into the "Uncanny" category (which will always lead to some commenters saying that it's not really fantasy at all.)  This week's, I think, straddled the line very well.  Did the hero have magical pre-cognition, or was she just very intuitive?  I remember being at a wedding of two people I only barely knew (I was only a "date" of a real guest) and whispering that the marriage wouldn't last a year, based on body language, etc..  (As my pre-cognitive powers aren't quite so magical, the marriage actually lasted 13 months.)

I think what I liked most was how closely the story straddled the line.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #33 on: June 07, 2008, 12:38:15 AM
speaking of uncanny, can fictional character influence reality? in the right light?

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #34 on: June 07, 2008, 04:06:28 AM

I had a hard time with this one.  I vacillated between being charmed by the language, world-view and main character, while periodically wanting to shout: "For heaven's sake, PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR NAVEL AND GET SOME AIR!!"  At times she seemed so tightly wrapped into herself, her "knowings," her relationship and her tight little world that it felt almost claustrophobic.  At the same time, what I loved about it was the emotion and the "magic" and the intimacy made possible by that same tight little world. 

Since I'm both Intuitive and Introverted (in the Myers-Briggs sense of both terms) it was probably a case of being bugged by seeing your own flaws in other people (either real or imaginary), though that commonality may also be the source of the story's charms for me. 

It comes down to a case of "the things I love about the story are also the things I hate about the story." I haven't really come to terms with that, and probably won't.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

cuddlebug

• Peltast
Reply #35 on: June 07, 2008, 12:18:38 PM

I had a hard time with this one.  I vacillated between being charmed by the language, world-view and main character, while periodically wanting to shout: "For heaven's sake, PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR NAVEL AND GET SOME AIR!!"  At times she seemed so tightly wrapped into herself, her "knowings," her relationship and her tight little world that it felt almost claustrophobic.  At the same time, what I loved about it was the emotion and the "magic" and the intimacy made possible by that same tight little world. 

Since I'm both Intuitive and Introverted (in the Myers-Briggs sense of both terms) it was probably a case of being bugged by seeing your own flaws in other people (either real or imaginary), though that commonality may also be the source of the story's charms for me. 

It comes down to a case of "the things I love about the story are also the things I hate about the story." I haven't really come to terms with that, and probably won't.

Oh, maybe we are the same type then, I am the 'Independent Free Thinker' (INTJ) according to Myers Briggs.

And I completely agree with you, I really identified with Nora and I was not entirely happy about it... seeing/reading about your own flaws is always a bit painful, and being told what your flaws are is even worse. I have friends who do that, who like doing that, and it often surprises me to see how well some people know me, given that I (like most people) try to hide my flaws.

Anyway, I LOVE personality tests, even though I am not entirely happy with the results. But knowing means we can maybe do something about it? That is what I liked about the story, it showed me someone who is like me, has my flaws, but it also made me realize I can try to change, just like Nora 
is not the same person at the end of the story.

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #36 on: June 07, 2008, 05:38:32 PM
i was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the lights?

my first thought was the aurora but there's that whole angle about how your views & reality can change under a different light. then there's the precog side to Nora. were there rare / unusual lights that appeared in norway she may have anticipated?

I thought it was an obvious use of the "Paris, city of lights" nickname. Ironically, the lights in Paris are academic luminaries (and also street lights) so the lights are research and illumination.

When I hear "Paris, city of lights" I think of the night life, however, and this makes no sense to me in the context of the story.

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #37 on: June 07, 2008, 05:48:08 PM

Oh, maybe we are the same type then, I am the 'Independent Free Thinker' (INTJ) according to Myers Briggs.

And I completely agree with you, I really identified with Nora and I was not entirely happy about it... seeing/reading about your own flaws is always a bit painful, and being told what your flaws are is even worse. I have friends who do that, who like doing that, and it often surprises me to see how well some people know me, given that I (like most people) try to hide my flaws.

Thank you for identifying what annoyed me the most about this story. As another INTJ, I was very frustrated that she, for all her brilliance and foresight (real and imagined) had done absolutely no self-reflection. (As it's rather dark in one's navel if not lower in the anatomy). The universe here is one which she either knows or defines, i.e. it revolves around her. Why has she never wondered how the universe would appear to her if it did not and what difference it would make?

She needs to get over herself.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #38 on: June 07, 2008, 07:24:32 PM
i was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the lights?

I thought it was an obvious use of the "Paris, city of lights" nickname. Ironically, the lights in Paris are academic luminaries (and also street lights) so the lights are research and illumination.

the quote seemed pretty specific about finland (and not norway, as i said. but what's the difference really? sweden? phhht!).

JonCayen

• Extern
Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 02:31:37 AM
I liked this episode because it made me think, really think, about how we as humans view the world.

Nora viewed the world as a scientist does  ( a + b = c). However, Jeff sees the world with magic in it were sometimes ( 1 + 1 = 42). It really hard for us as human beings to change the way we think and see things, but when it happens we sometimes get a deeper understanding of ourselves, others, and the universe.

It takes a while for Nora to see other ways of seeing the world, mainly because she her Dr. Know abilitiy. But when she does it a good character defining moment and is rare to see in the "real" world. To me that is what the Zepplin and the talking dog represent. Its the moment when we break from the way we see the world, and get another perspective.

Schreiber

• Peltast
Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 06:07:16 AM
While I enjoy "genre" fiction as much as the next fanboy, I really appreciated the contemporary literary feel this story brought to the table.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #41 on: June 08, 2008, 07:28:29 AM
Try this, Chivalrybean!

http://www.allstarstories.com/rosenbaum-notes.html

I haven't read this all yet, but I did start a story, and not only is it TOTALLY SWEET! it has a zeppelin in it.

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

cuddlebug

• Peltast
Reply #42 on: June 08, 2008, 09:38:23 AM
Thank you for identifying what annoyed me the most about this story. As another INTJ, I was very frustrated that she, for all her brilliance and foresight (real and imagined) had done absolutely no self-reflection. (As it's rather dark in one's navel if not lower in the anatomy). The universe here is one which she either knows or defines, i.e. it revolves around her. Why has she never wondered how the universe would appear to her if it did not and what difference it would make?

Right, good point. Thanks for that. But all the "Nabelschau" (something like 'navel inspection' ...your own German lesson, and all for free  :)) and perceived/imagined similarities aside, it is a good story, one that resonated with quite a lot of people apparently, BECAUSE the main character was so flawed, but still able to 'get over herself' by the end of the story, if not entirely .. still noticeably. And who wants to listen to stories with flawless characters? Hell, to be honest, I prefer flawed people over perfection any day, and that includes friends and people I know.

hautdesert

• Editor
Reply #43 on: June 08, 2008, 01:14:44 PM
Try this, Chivalrybean!

http://www.allstarstories.com/rosenbaum-notes.html

I haven't read this all yet, but I did start a story, and not only is it TOTALLY SWEET! it has a zeppelin in it.

I love that story.  It was one of the first things I ever read by Benjamin Rosenbaum and it made me an instant fan.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #44 on: June 08, 2008, 05:01:27 PM

Right, good point. Thanks for that. But all the "Nabelschau" (something like 'navel inspection' ...your own German lesson, and all for free  :)) and perceived/imagined similarities aside, it is a good story, one that resonated with quite a lot of people apparently, BECAUSE the main character was so flawed, but still able to 'get over herself' by the end of the story, if not entirely .. still noticeably. And who wants to listen to stories with flawless characters? Hell, to be honest, I prefer flawed people over perfection any day, and that includes friends and people I know.

Except maybe the flaw where they think they are perfect? {;0p

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #45 on: June 08, 2008, 10:46:07 PM
First of all, before I forget...
I listened to this at my workplace (a slow day, on a weekend shift) and was in the staff lunch room the first time the word "zeppelin" was spoken. I happened to turn around right at that moment, and there on the TV was a zoomed-in shot of the Goodyear blimp, on some Golf show. :o

This story had no small amount of charm, but I think I'd have to read it (not just listen to it) a few more times to fully appreciate it. It's one of those stories where you don't know what's going to be important the first time through. Or maybe you have to stand back and look at the whole thing as a tapestry.

Similar to "Come Lady Death", nothing really magical or mundanely impossible happened, yet it did a good job of showing the blurry line between the mundane, the magical, and the scientific.

Whatever gave that power maybe was trying to tell her she didn't always know everything.  Or if she acts upon it it may change the outsome.
Yeah, I'd say that was underlined by the reference to Schroedinger's Cat.

One of my "if I was a billionaire" fantasies has always been to have a dirigible and fly it along the Trans-Canada Highway, picking up hitch-hikers. I'd drift as silently as possible up behind them, and drop a ladder down to them with a "Welcome Aboard" sign on it. All just to see the looks on their faces.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

ajames

• Lochage
Reply #46 on: June 09, 2008, 11:08:32 AM

Um, did you mean Cuddlebug? I didn't post a reply on this thread since you last posted (and Cuddlebug and I may be co-workers, but we're not the same person).

Yes, I did - sorry  for the confusion Cuddlebug and eytanz.

Oh, and a word on personality tests like the Myer-Briggs - they are almost certainly being used in ways not intended or scientifically validated, so my advice is to have fun with them (and I admit they are fun) but don't make life decisions based upon the results!

Archie

• Extern
Reply #47 on: June 20, 2008, 12:32:15 PM
Nice vocals and a beautiful, may I say magically, romantic story. Had me in tears at the end. Then I'm a sucker for a love story!

koda

• Extern
    • The ManicMinute
Reply #48 on: August 11, 2008, 07:11:02 PM
We all had our heart broken before, and the more we love the more it hurts, the more we struggle with it and the longer it takes us to get over it. But it is not just that, it is also that everything in the story felt so tangible to me (actually, I think that is the perfect word for it, tangible or maybe tactile?), even down to the ‘premonitions’. 

EXACTLY.
I am going back through stories I have listened to before because and skipping the ones I know I hated.  I had to look for this thread on page 2 - that's how you know I am serious! =)

It isn't like I sit around wondering when the world will end, but I have considered what it might feel like.

Live every week like it's Shark Week!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #49 on: November 20, 2009, 08:19:10 PM
This was an alright story, but the protagonist just got on my nerves.  Not that she was unrealistic, or a bad person, or anything, but I never really believed that she had real premonitions, and so the fact that she was so convinced that he was going to leave here started to grate.  If you believe so strongly that a relationship is going to end, it just seems more likely that you'll cause the end yourself by overanalyzing every meaningless detail. 

I did enjoy the talking dogs/zeppelin banter--that was cute and felt real.