Author Topic: Terror of Mecha-Film Poll: Finals group C  (Read 7731 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: June 11, 2008, 08:57:00 PM
Fight Club was a surprise win in group B!  It and Holy Grail will go on to match up with the four best performing films from the original poll in the quarterfinals. 

This week we have four more previous poll winners.  Fellowship won twice, the Matrix once, Serenity won the very first poll, and Apocalypse Now tied with Nightmare Before Christmas.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:47:55 PM
Wow.  Tough choice.  I really really love both the Matrix and Fellowship.  The others were good, too, but those movies hit me in all the right places.  I'm gonna have to think about this some. 

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 09:51:12 PM
Easy choice for me.  The only incomplete film I would vote for is The Empire Strikes Back, so Fellowship is right out.  Apocalypse Now doesn't really speak to me, and I'm still no fan of Firefly.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:23:40 PM
Easy choice for me.  The only incomplete film I would vote for is The Empire Strikes Back, so Fellowship is right out.  Apocalypse Now doesn't really speak to me, and I'm still no fan of Firefly.

But wait!  The Matrix is the first part of a coughcrappycough trilogy.  It's incomplete!

I kid, of course.  Actually, I wish they'd never made the sequels...

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:49:17 PM

But wait!  The Matrix is the first part of a coughcrappycough trilogy.  It's incomplete!

What trilogy?  The Matrix is a stand-alone film, and no sequels were ever made.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 05:59:51 AM

I gotta admit, sequels played a role in my vote.  StePH is right about Fellowship not being a complete movie by itself, but I voted for it anyway.  There may come a time when I can vote against a lush, beautiful adaptation of Tolkein's work, but that day is not today...

Although, had the crew that created The Matrix known when to quit, it might have been...

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:05:44 AM
Browncoat representin...

Russell Nash

Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 10:07:20 AM
It was between Matrix and Serenity for me.  I went with Serenity.  If I had gone with Matrix, it would have been a three-way tie.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:00:04 PM
Tough call for me between Serentiy and Matrix.  But I remember how I felt after seeing the Matrix in the theater - blown away at how cool the whole concept was and how well done it was.  I really liked Apocalypse and Fellowship, too. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 07:40:55 PM
One vote for Apocalypse Now here.  I confess to never having seen Serenity (or Firefly; don't hate me, please!) and The Matrix is on my top 10 "worst movies of all time" list, for its silly pop-Gnosticism, as well as being just plain boring.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 04:50:26 PM
BTW, I decided awhile ago that if there was a tie, I'd just remove my own vote.

The current tie is between movies I didn't vote for though.  Hopefully it gets broken on it's own...

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 11:16:46 PM
I confess to never having seen Serenity (or Firefly; don't hate me, please!)

Oh, we won't hate you. We'll probably ignore you a lot and snigger behind your back, but we won't hate you.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 12:02:12 AM
One vote for Apocalypse Now here.  I confess to never having seen Serenity (or Firefly; don't hate me, please!)
As I've said before, I've watched the first DVD of Firefly and completely failed to understand why it's held in such high regard.  So you're not alone.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 05:22:50 AM
One vote for Apocalypse Now here.  I confess to never having seen Serenity (or Firefly; don't hate me, please!)
As I've said before, I've watched the first DVD of Firefly and completely failed to understand why it's held in such high regard.  So you're not alone.

Thirded.  And I'm even a Buffy fan!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 04:51:10 AM
I voted for the Matrix in the end.  It was between that and Fellowship, and really I could've easily voted for Fellowship instead.  Actually, now that I see the Matrix is rocking, I almost wish I had.  But I voted for it because in the end, I'm more of a cyberpunk type guy than a high fantasy-type guy.  That said, I think both those movies are at the top of their respective fields.

Russell Nash

Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 10:25:46 AM
I haven't picked a winner in the finals yet.

eytanz

Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 06:21:37 PM
I haven't picked a winner in the finals yet.

I've picked 2 out of 3 winners so far; 3 out of 3 if you count the one I wanted to vote for in group B instead of the one I actually did.