Author Topic: Hey, what's going on with that under-300-word contest?  (Read 31101 times)

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
on: January 05, 2007, 09:13:27 PM
Just wondering... is that still going on?

I forget what we're supposed to do with our entries.

How are we going to vote, again?

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 05:23:17 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Jim.  I finally put the whole thing in writing and posted it on the main site:

http://www.escapepod.org/2007/01/06/300-word-flash-contest/

I'll soon make a board here and start posting the contest entries we've already got.  Voting will be by means of the forum's poll feature.  Sound like a plan?

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 05:44:31 AM
In put this in the comments as well, not sure what goes where yet:
One quick point - you mentioned in the podcast a max of three submissions per author (I’m guessing to avoid getting an avalanche of entries from the same person). Is that still true - I didn’t see it in the info above.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 05:46:24 AM
Yes, and I edited the post.  Thanks for the reminder.  >8->

Jim

• Matross
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 02:51:18 PM
Is there a way to lock a forum thread while still allowing voting?

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 04:13:53 PM
I'm not sure.  Why should the thread be locked?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 07:19:14 PM
so there arent unnecessary posts while the votin is goin on...
but i dont think it should be locked (but those unnecessary posts could just be deleted)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 07:21:34 PM
so there arent unnecessary posts while the votin is goin on...

What do you mean by "unnecessary?"  Do you feel that people shouldn't comment on the stories during that time?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 07:24:37 PM
i think there should be a separate thread for story comments, so it would be more organized for the contest.
also someone who really likes a story could write a great review of it, maybe biasing other voters.  by having it all separate you have a smaller chance of that happening.

i also think that all submissions should be submitted before voting starts, so have everyone post their stories but dont run the poll until submissions close.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

SimplyScripts

• Extern
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
    • SimplyScripts
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 10:56:21 PM
Steve,

Hope you don't mind, I've posted the 300 word contest info to my site here (primarily a screenwriting site).  Not sure if you wanted to limit the reach on this to EP regulars or not.

Regarding the posting of the stories, I'd recommend (based upon running several one week writing contests) that you post the stories in one fell swoop rather than posting them as you get them.  This generally gives everyone a fairly even chance of getting read.  If you dribble them out over the course of a week, the first few stories get a lot of reads and comments and drowns out the later posted stories.  To "Bdoomed's" point, you will get a lot of posts to the effect of , "Cool" and "I liked this story" which runs up the 'replied to' numbers and give the appears that one story may be more popular than another. 

Just some thoughts.

Don
webmaster
http://www.simplyscripts.com

Laieanna

• Palmer
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 04:08:53 AM
I agree with the last two posts.  I believe this could occur and kinda make things screwy. 

I asked this question elsewhere, but want to make sure I cover all the areas....for those of us who have our own story telling podcast, can we post our story there before the contest or would you prefer we wait till after the deadline?

Working on my comeback

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 06:09:02 PM
If there is a high volume of entries then I see one problem with holding all the stories back.  Voters would be overwhelmed having to read say 100 to 200 stories, so most probably won't.  This happens already in contests at www.irtc.org

I don't have a good answer just some ideas:
Release them in blocks of 10 or so in the form of heats - top two qualify to the next round, and so on.
Realize that early submitters will have an edge, and leave it at that - this may help in minimizing a glut of submissions on Jan 31st.
Not sure about SMF, but GeekLog polls "forget" that you voted (I'm assuming a cookie expires) and allow users to vote multiple times.

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
  • Writer of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror
    • Jonathan C. Gillespie, Author
Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 06:03:39 PM
I want to back up those comments; I've seen contests where gradual postings of submissions have been done, and they don't always work out well.  Just my two groks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 06:07:27 PM by JCGillespie »

Published genre fiction author with stories in print and upcoming.

Official site: http://jonathancg.net/ | Twitter: JCGAuthor | Facebook

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 12:15:00 AM
I can't wait to see some of the stuff everyone's written!

And not to beat anyone over the head, but I'd also rather read all the stories (or as many as possible) before I read what other people think about them.  I think it'd be a more even playing field that way.

WheelMan

• Extern
    • wheelMan's Place
Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 02:35:11 AM
I'm unfamiliar with the SMF software, but presumably it has a way of making posts locked in such a way that only an Admin or Moderator can post to it. Seems like this would be the best option in dealing with the situation of posting stories, while limiting comments to a separate thread.

Just a thought.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." --Satchel Paige

Jim

• Matross
Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 03:01:08 AM
It looks like we're all on here at the same time right now. We should open up a Skype chat room.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 09:14:10 PM
If you dribble them out over the course of a week, the first few stories get a lot of reads and comments and drowns out the later posted stories. 

That's a pretty valid point, if all stories are being judged against all stories.
But as they're being released in batches, and each story is only competing against other stories in its batch, it won't be a problem.
The top stories in the first coupld batches might get three times as many votes as the top stories in the final batch, but when the move up to the finals all previous votes are forgotten.

Does anyone have input on the idea of keeping stories and comments seperate? (it was mentioned under the judging thread by smartbombradio)

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 08:52:16 AM
Does anyone have input on the idea of keeping stories and comments seperate? (it was mentioned under the judging thread by smartbombradio)

Comment away on the story threads just be civilized(Not a real problem with EPers). It's just that the author isn't allowed to give away who wrote it. The stories are to be totally anonymous

Laieanna

• Palmer
Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 05:56:07 PM
I gotta say, I'm real impressed with the comments made on the contest stories.  I'm timid about my writing and always afraid of what comments might come through.  Escape Pod is intimidating cause I've seen some of the comments placed for the really great stories that make the podcast.  But here everyone is very nice and gentle and if they don't like the story, they give nice constructive criticism that's not harsh in anyway.  I know it's the rule to not bash, but there are ways of being mean and getting away with it.  So, if I happen to have some stories pop up on this contest, I'm confident enough to take a peek at everyone's opinion.  I'll just keep my woobie near by.   ;D

Working on my comeback

The Word Whore

• Palmer
    • Air Out My Shorts
Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 02:31:26 PM
I was way behind in my listening and just finished catching up...
Really want to participate in this contest (I've never attempted sci-fi before),
but just found out this morning  :-[

Probably cutting it way too close, but I'm going to give it a shot!
~tWW

Cheers,
~tWW
Air Out My Shorts
www.airoutmyshorts.com

smartbombradio

• Peltast
  • Clthulhu loves me, this I know!
    • One Eighteen: Migration
Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 02:41:17 PM
I think you've got a couple days left.

Shaun Farrell

• Extern
    • Adventures in Scifi Publishing
Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 02:52:57 AM

Probably cutting it way too close, but I'm going to give it a shot!
~tWW

Sometimes we do our best work when there is no time and we just have to trust our instincts. Good luck!

This month at the Adventures in Scifi Publishing podcast: John Ringo and Keith R.A. DeCandido. And coming soon: David Webber and James Van Pelt. www.adventuresinscifipublishing.blogspot.com

The Word Whore

• Palmer
    • Air Out My Shorts
Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 12:16:34 AM
Wow, this is really tough! I've whittled it down to 419 words   :-\

...newfound respect for all entrants!!!

Cheers,
~tWW
Air Out My Shorts
www.airoutmyshorts.com

Laieanna

• Palmer
Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 03:56:23 PM
Wow, this is really tough! I've whittled it down to 419 words   :-\

...newfound respect for all entrants!!!

What's worse is getting it down to the required word count then reviewing it after it's been submitted and contemplating all the changes you should have made.  Ack!

Makes your 800 words look massive, doesn't it?   ;D

Working on my comeback

The Word Whore

• Palmer
    • Air Out My Shorts
Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 05:19:14 PM
sure does   ;D

I did finish it and submit it yesterday... woo hoo
(but, in truth, not quite sure it even qualifies as sci-fi) –

kind of freaked me out having to use my 'real name' though!
I trust our dear Mr Eley not to reveal my secret identity   :o

Cheers,
~tWW
Air Out My Shorts
www.airoutmyshorts.com

Laieanna

• Palmer
Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 05:34:44 PM
kind of freaked me out having to use my 'real name' though!
I trust our dear Mr Eley not to reveal my secret identity   :o

Holy crap, your man fans over at AoMS would go nuts if they found out your name and could find sneaky ways to track you down.

Working on my comeback

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 06:10:16 PM
Holy crap, your man fans over at AoMS would go nuts if they found out your name and could find sneaky ways to track you down.

For what it's worth, she also didn't use her usual e-mail address at theitspot.com, so even I'm reduced to making intelligent guesses as to which story was hers. 

(And that's fine with me, BTW.  I'm perfectly fine with keeping the Whore's identity...uh...pure?  Untarnished?  Damn, there's got to be a word that fits, but it isn't those.)  >8->

Laieanna

• Palmer
Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 06:14:20 PM

For what it's worth, she also didn't use her usual e-mail address at theitspot.com, so even I'm reduced to making intelligent guesses as to which story was hers. 

*giggle*  Sneaky

Silly Scifi Fans, Word Whores are for kids...err...no...wait...not that....

Working on my comeback

The Word Whore

• Palmer
    • Air Out My Shorts
Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 10:11:41 PM
(And that's fine with me, BTW.  I'm perfectly fine with keeping the Whore's identity...uh...pure?  Untarnished?  Damn, there's got to be a word that fits, but it isn't those.)  >8->

That's right, Steve... keep it secret, keep it safe   ;)
..."pure" though, I wouldn't hold you to.

Cheers,
~tWW
Air Out My Shorts
www.airoutmyshorts.com

Laieanna

• Palmer
Reply #29 on: January 31, 2007, 03:31:53 PM
I just gotta say I've become obsessed with these forums.  Part of it is waiting for any of my stories to show up.  God, I'm freakin' goofy, I even dreamed about it last night.  Second is reading all the comments about everyone else's stories.  Some have opened my eyes to things I didn't know or realize and some have just been entertaining.  Third is trying to guess which stories I think were written by my online friends.  Boy do you feel in the dark when you don't know who wrote what.  I guess...then second guess myself...then guess again.  Anonymous is pretty interesting and keeps favoritism out of the voting.

Working on my comeback

GoodDamon

• Lochage
    • Speculations - My writing blog
Reply #30 on: January 31, 2007, 08:24:46 PM
I just gotta say I've become obsessed with these forums.  Part of it is waiting for any of my stories to show up.  God, I'm freakin' goofy, I even dreamed about it last night.  Second is reading all the comments about everyone else's stories.  Some have opened my eyes to things I didn't know or realize and some have just been entertaining.  Third is trying to guess which stories I think were written by my online friends.  Boy do you feel in the dark when you don't know who wrote what.  I guess...then second guess myself...then guess again.  Anonymous is pretty interesting and keeps favoritism out of the voting.
I feel the same way. My refresh button is getting worn out. And on the plus side, it's a great excuse to avoid writing... ;)

I have the honor -- nay, privilege -- to know a few of the authors from my writing group, so I recognize their stories, at least the ones I've critiqued. I'm looking forward to when we can all out ourselves.

Damon Kaswell: Reader, writer, and arithmetic-er

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 06:55:43 PM
One thing I didn't expect from being a part of this contest is the camaraderie it seems to build in me after the completed rounds.  I feel a certain amount of kinship to some writers after reading their work, even if I didn't vote for their stuff. 

Laieanna

• Palmer
Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 07:02:59 PM
One thing I didn't expect from being a part of this contest is the camaraderie it seems to build in me after the completed rounds.  I feel a certain amount of kinship to some writers after reading their work, even if I didn't vote for their stuff. 

Me too.  I want to send personal messages of thanks yous and I love your posts to a bunch of people.  If only I had the energy.  Oh, but I can type here...yes I can...that apparently takes no effort.  Sheesh!

Working on my comeback