Author Topic: What the Frack is Up with Battlestar Galactica? (spoilers)  (Read 30385 times)

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #75 on: March 28, 2009, 02:43:43 AM
For me it pretty much went off the rails when the last cylon was revealed to be Ellen.  Sure there were good bits every once in a while, but really it's like the writers painted themselves in a corner and went to the great "Wheel of Surprise Twists-each one more surprising than the one before" spun it and wrote down whatever was there.

And there were some really odd bits - like Adama putting the ring on the wrong finger (or is that a BSG ref I missed?)

Starbuck just disappears?  Seriously? It would have been better if Lee had been mauled by a lion. 
"What are you going to do Lee?"
"I don't know" As he turns towards her "Maybe explore or tra-ahhh"
"LEEEEEE!!"

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #76 on: March 28, 2009, 07:15:32 PM
I'm mostly with you guys. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't as good as I would have hoped.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #77 on: March 28, 2009, 07:51:53 PM
Another thing about BSG that I've been thinking: Does anybody else think it is odd how much smoking and drinking there was going on in this show? You think there might be a little sponsorship deal going on between the SciFi-Channel and the tobacco and/or alcohol lobby?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have much against smoking and drinking in a tv show and I wouldn't mind if an industry group gave money to a network to show people smoking (like in the good old days ), I am just curious.

Would also explain how BSG is making financial sense for the network, cause this isn't a cheap show (or at least doesn't look like one) and the ratings are not that fantastic either.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #78 on: March 28, 2009, 08:13:15 PM
Another thing about BSG that I've been thinking: Does anybody else think it is odd how much smoking and drinking there was going on in this show? You think there might be a little sponsorship deal going on between the SciFi-Channel and the tobacco and/or alcohol lobby?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have much against smoking and drinking in a tv show and I wouldn't mind if an industry group gave money to a network to show people smoking (like in the good old days ), I am just curious.

Would also explain how BSG is making financial sense for the network, cause this isn't a cheap show (or at least doesn't look like one) and the ratings are not that fantastic either.

I doubt they got money — I took it as a detail of dystopia.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #79 on: March 29, 2009, 12:09:05 AM
sirana makes a good point, and I doubt we'd be able to find out - if they did, it would be more in distant financing since no specific brand of any type was mentioned - "Hey Starbuck, you sure look relaxed right before this battle with the cyclons. How do you do it?" "Well Lee, I to take a long drag on my Lucky cigarellos and it calms my nerves."

However, I don't think so - mostly because it wasn't the glamourous type of smoking and drinking.  As Heradel mentioned it's more about self destruction and dystopia than anything.  It was alcoholics and people trying to escape that did the drinking and smoking, not really the kind of spokespeople you want.

Anarquistador

• Matross
  • Servant of Fire
    • The Pit
Reply #80 on: March 29, 2009, 01:06:13 PM
I found the dystopia aspect both refreshing and disturbing at the same time. It was nice to see a gritty and grim post-apocalyptic scenario, which was appropriate for the show. But it did get TOO dark at times for my tastes. There were times when it seemed like the show's writers were doing it just for the heck of it. I'm reminded of a parody news article I read a few years ago, which stated that BSG accidentally cancelled itself; it got so gritty that they killed off all the main characters.

It also made the...erm, happy ending to the series ring kind of hollow. So after all that, they all live in peace and harmony and start all over again? Not that I wanted to see everyone die horribly, but still...

"Technology: a word we use to describe something that doesn't work yet."

- Douglas Adams

http://www.thereviewpit.com
http://thesuburbsofhell.blogspot.com

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #81 on: March 29, 2009, 02:06:10 PM
Not that I wanted to see everyone die horribly, but still...
I did.

AarrowOM

• Palmer
  • "We are fleeting creatures, we humans!" - S Baxter
    • Aaron Morris's Website
Reply #82 on: April 02, 2009, 05:28:06 AM
I did.

But didn't they?  I mean life without high technology?  How much more horrible can it get?

Most that are profound would choose to narrate tales of living men with nouns like sorrow, verbs like lose, and action scenes, and love – but then there are now some, and brave they be, that speak of Lunar cities raised and silver spheres and purple seas, leaving us who listen dazed. -- Irena Foygel

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #83 on: April 02, 2009, 07:32:41 AM
I did.

But didn't they?  I mean life without high technology?  How much more horrible can it get?

Did you not see the entire run except for the end?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

rowshack

• Extern
Reply #84 on: April 13, 2009, 09:20:28 AM
excluding Racetrack buying it I was happy with the end. Starbuck being whatever I let go because earlier they had the phantom Capirca that could be seen, heard and touch things then just disappeared.  I would have like to have seen Athena have a real go at Boomer. all said and done I'll just close the book on that story and walk away happy.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #85 on: April 14, 2009, 08:09:02 PM
It kind of seems that people have been forgetting that there is going to be a show called Caprica, which if it does nothing else will probably end up answering some of the lingering questions.

The (already leaked) pilot comes out on DVD next week, and even if Adm. Adama's the only character showing up in both so far, it's hard to think that they won't relate to each other a fair bit.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #86 on: April 17, 2009, 05:57:46 AM
I was under the impression that Ron Moore had said that Caprica was stand-alone from BSG.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #87 on: April 17, 2009, 06:59:57 AM
What I've read has suggested that the central plot of Caprica is going to be seperate but we'll see elements of BSG's history get worked in.  Moore's already said that the stuff about Daniel in the final few episodes is going to be important and I'd be very surprised if we didn't get some other callbacks.

I do wonder, by the way, whether Caprica's going to end up doing what Mad Men does and have large time jumps between seasons.  That way you could do the impact of Cylon tech on society as well as play with the status quo a little.  Plus, that would make a Romo Lampkin appearance in later seasons much more likely:)

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #88 on: April 17, 2009, 07:06:45 AM
I think it has to be a continuation of exploring the themes — Moore isn't a one trick pony, if he's staying in the same universe it's because there are questions left unanswered.

It would be so cool to see a prelapsarian Lampkin.