Author Topic: EP164: The Right Kind of Town  (Read 38219 times)

Russell Nash

Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 06:26:39 PM
The reading was adequate, but Minx's voice sounded overprocessed.  Maybe that's how she really sounds; I've never spoken to her in person.  Or was it done that way because she's part-alien?

I wondered about that too.  It seemed there was a bit of phase-shift or "flanging" in the recording, and I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not.

I just thought the recording was of a lesser quality than normal.  If it was intentional, the effect went right past me.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 09:09:06 PM
The reading was adequate, but Minx's voice sounded overprocessed.  Maybe that's how she really sounds; I've never spoken to her in person.  Or was it done that way because she's part-alien?

I wondered about that too.  It seemed there was a bit of phase-shift or "flanging" in the recording, and I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not.
It sounded over-processed to me, too. But i thought i remembered hearing the exact same sound in her reading of PC's "For Fear of Dragons," so i thought it must be intentional on her part for all her recordings. Maybe it's a quality issue, though.

edit: (Maybe it wasn't "For Fear of Dragons," but one of the one's she's read recently... well, maybe it wasn't recently... i'm still going through PP's backlog)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 09:11:21 PM
Maybe the Sloan Men over at PP?

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 09:14:53 PM
Maybe the Sloan Men over at PP?
I thought of that one after i edited the comment once... it could have been that one.

Brian Deacon

• Extern
Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 11:49:36 PM
Okee, I have nothing useful to say about the story other than I enjoyed it.  I just want to give Steve something to point to by saying that I just clickitied an audible credit for Kristine Rusch's The Disappeared based on his recommendation for the Retrieval Artist series.

And anyone tempted to do the same... do squint before you click, because it appears Audible is trying to be a pinch evil by tossing a $3.49 audiobook at you called "The Retrieval Artist" that you could burn a whole credit on, which appears to be just a 2 hour novella.  (Although narrated by Stefan Rudnicki who has a great, thunderous voice... I might spend the $3.49 on it, but I hate when I accidentally blow a credit on something cheap.)

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 01:14:10 AM
I normally have trouble getting into a story, but I find if I wait five minutes I start to get involved. I got to the end of this one, but I'm still waiting.

I get the feeling I could get into it if I explored more of this world. It was the same with Firefly: it wasn't the spaceships or fancy guns that were important, it was the world building and story line. As DKT said, there was a lot of time spent info-dumping. This story needed to be twice as long and more needed to happen.

As it turned out, we just got Pretty Woman with Richard Gere actually turning out to be a bigger jerk. Prostitute meets rich man, rich man gives prostitute longer term employment, prostitute falls in love with rich man, situation becomes complicated when it transpires rich man is in fact a jerk who thinks he's above common whores. The stories diverge a little after that. Admittedly, I liked this ending a little better.

By the way, I also think an Eley-style warning might have been appropriate on this one. It didn't deserve an X-rating, but there was swearing, sex, violence and adult themes. My daughter heard exactly one word of the whole thing. Guess which one it was...

Cerebrilith

• Palmer
Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 03:05:13 PM
  The only problem I had with the story was at the very end. I know the author went to great lengths to demonstrate how little respect is given to dead bodies in this town, but I still would think that there must be some sort of law in town (or at least paidd thugs) who would react quickly and unkindly to the main character throwing the town's richest man off of a balcony.  Maybe too much of my western experience in through 'Deadwood', but I have to think that there would be some quick and violent retaliation from his cronies.

The idea that something can be learned about a town by the way it treats dead bodies was interesting.  Though like Void Munashii I don't think it's credible that this super rich fellow doesn't have henchmen about to avenge him or someone to respond to his murder in some way.

My only other thought is a great big sarcastic "woohoo" for yet another prostitute story.

Dwango

• Matross
Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 03:34:52 PM
I love the way Minx narrates stories, not overacted and more straight forward.  I just wish she had a better microphone.

As for the story, I'm with the consensus that the twists came out of left field and made them less believable.  I think some tells earlier in the story to Freeman's disposition and Cate's alien origin would have made it smoother and add an ah-hah feeling you get when you see the clues for what they are.  Yet, I still found the yarn interesting and worth the listen.

Now, when are we going to get a space pirates story?  space ninjas?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 04:34:51 PM
By the way, I also think an Eley-style warning might have been appropriate on this one. It didn't deserve an X-rating, but there was swearing, sex, violence and adult themes. My daughter heard exactly one word of the whole thing. Guess which one it was...

"Whore"?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Russell Nash

Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 04:52:52 PM

"Whore"?

Was it "fuck"?

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 05:12:02 PM

"Whore"?

Was it "fuck"?

Maybe it was "gun".  Or "body".

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 05:21:03 PM
I'm guessing "hegemony". I like that word.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 05:22:07 PM
Firefly?  No, wait, that wasn't in the story. 

Nightwalker?

Russell Nash

Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 06:29:08 PM
I knew jumping in on StePh's joke was asking for trouble, but I did it anyway.  Why do I do this?  Crap, I probably just started something else now.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 06:46:29 PM
I knew jumping in on StePh's joke was asking for trouble, but I did it anyway.  Why do I do this?  Crap, I probably just started something else now.

FWIW, I'm not entirely sure that I was joking.

Russell Nash

Reply #40 on: July 02, 2008, 07:48:15 PM

FWIW, I'm not entirely sure that I was joking.

That makes it twice as bad.

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #41 on: July 02, 2008, 08:02:53 PM

"Whore"?

Was it "fuck"?

Ladies, gentlemen and smizmars, we have a winner!

I don't know if it's the way my speakers are set up, the acoustics of my house, the compression used in the mp3 or what, but that word seemed to have a percussive effect that resonated right up the hallway. And if there's anything that gets mum or dad in trouble in our house, it's bad language.

I forgot about those other words, which goes to my point even more. The escapepod site rates the story as 'R', so a warning might have been in order for reasons that go back before I started listening to EP.

Still, it could be worse. My mother-in-law doesn't arrive for another week yet.

Russell Nash

Reply #42 on: July 02, 2008, 08:06:07 PM

"Whore"?

Was it "fuck"?

Ladies, gentlemen and smizmars, we have a winner!

I don't know if it's the way my speakers are set up, the acoustics of my house, the compression used in the mp3 or what, but that word seemed to have a percussive effect that resonated right up the hallway. And if there's anything that gets mum or dad in trouble in our house, it's bad language.

I forgot about those other words, which goes to my point even more. The escapepod site rates the story as 'R', so a warning might have been in order for reasons that go back before I started listening to EP.

Still, it could be worse. My mother-in-law doesn't arrive for another week yet.

You have my pity.

Biscuit

• Peltast
Reply #43 on: July 03, 2008, 12:24:16 AM
I often find myself, when reading westerns, wondering how a technological society can regress to westernism.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I got to the end of it.

I want my Sci Fi to be progressive in morals and attitudes to violence, in the hope that it will reflect what will be our real societal evolution. I guess it's the old maxim of "Write What You Know" - and we only know violence and historic a-holes to make good drama.

So yeah, left me "meh" too.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 12:32:08 AM by Biscuit »

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #44 on: July 03, 2008, 05:14:52 AM
I often find myself, when reading westerns, wondering how a technological society can regress to westernism.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I got to the end of it.

I want my Sci Fi to be progressive in morals and attitudes to violence, in the hope that it will reflect what will be our real societal evolution. I guess it's the old maxim of "Write What You Know" - and we only know violence and historic a-holes to make good drama.

So yeah, left me "meh" too.

"Westernism"?  Been to China lately?  India?  Two ancient cultures, each sporting >1 billion people, both possessing space technology, and both overrun with poverty, disease, poor sanitation, and - yes - violence.  China has Tibet; India has Kashmir.  And pretty much everyone here would admit they are in "the East".  (Though the Middle Kingdom and its many neighbors might cavil on that point.)

I realize your point was not to say anything about "the West", so my choice of examples was not meant to reflect poorly on the Far East; however, I think the fact that there can be such economic disparity in a large, advanced culture is perfectly believable.  The idea that "a sufficiently advanced culture would get rid of all the bad stuff" is patent hogwash.  The U.S. has a sufficiently advanced culture... and we certainly haven't solved any of it.

But while it's not everyone's cup of tea, "westernism" certainly has a broad appeal (think of all those spaghetti westerns).  Australia has a romantic ideal similar to the Wild West, too, doesn't it, Biscuit?  Cowboy hats, horses, guns, etc.  I'm thinking of "Man from Snowy River" and "Quigley Down Under", but I'm sure there are many more.  I think the romantic appeal of that stuff probably comes from the fact that at the time, the Frontiers were just that... the unknown, possibility-rich future of an expanding nation.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Russell Nash

Reply #45 on: July 03, 2008, 10:27:21 AM
Australia has a romantic ideal similar to the Wild West, too, doesn't it, Biscuit? 

::cough::  She's from New Zealand. ::cough::

Wherethewild and Cammoblammo are Australian.

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #46 on: July 03, 2008, 10:55:33 AM
Australia has a romantic ideal similar to the Wild West, too, doesn't it, Biscuit? 

It's true. I did live in New Zealand for 13 years though. I think it's fair to compare Australia to the Wild West.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #47 on: July 03, 2008, 11:53:04 AM

Same general topographical POV... I'd feel justified asking a Canadian about American culture for the same reason.  We're all one, big, English-language-butchering family, aren't we?  ;)

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

errant371

• Palmer
  • I for one welcome our new isopod overlords.
Reply #48 on: July 03, 2008, 02:40:32 PM
My two cents:  not a bad story; just not a great one.   The first line about learning alot about how a town treats its dead bodies was great, though.  It's too bad that Mr. Klaver couldn't follow up on it. 

I have no problem with S/F Westerns (Outland, Firefly, et al), they can be very enjoyable if they are Science Fiction.  "The Right Kind of Town" was not.  If we define a genre story as one having an intregal part of the plot which could not be replaced by another genre's convention, then it is a genre story.  To be more clear: "The Cold Equations" is a Science Fiction story because the plot turns on the fact that spaceships have limited fuel for their mass.  Mr. Klaver's protagonist could have been a vampire (and with a race name like Nightwalker, probably should have been) or a werewolf or a kung fu trained female shaolin monk.  Her being an alien had nothing to do with the story.  Only his info dump identified that this was supposed to be an S/F story, and that felt strained by having to pack so much information about his future world.  It was as if the author was running around with a sign reading "It's a Science Fiction Story".  There was nothing to distinguish it.

That, I think, is the reason why I am not all that impressed with "The Right Kind of Town".  No distinguishing features.  The protagonist is a prostitute (sigh), the antagonist is a rich asshole (sigh).  These are tired cliches.  I understand that certain cliches need to be in a story like this (obviously), but what matters is what is done with those cliches.  Other than making his hero half plant (interesting idea) there is nothing to distinguish her from any other prostitute hero?  One of the functions of speculative fiction (including S/F) is to subvert the genre's and reader's expectations.  Why not make her male instead of female?  Why not make the antagonist the good guy and the prostitute the bad guy? 

But like I said, it wasn't bad.  The plot was serviceable (if not dinstinguished), the characterization okay, and the prose was at times very good (like his opening line).  I think, however, that "The Right Kind of Town" would have worked better as a Weird (or Horror) Western better than as S/F.  Maybe if Mr. Klaver had another two or three thousand words with which to work, it might have been better.  There is potential in this universe  however.  I will head over to Mr. Klaver's website and see what else he has to offer.

What part of 'Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn' didn't you understand?

Russell Nash

Reply #49 on: July 03, 2008, 06:33:57 PM
Before we get into an is or isn't SF battle, I'd like to step in and say a word.  This type of thing can get into a nasty argument and it really is a judgement call.  I'd like to change the vocabulary a little if I may.  A few stories back someone used the phrase "a thin veneer of SF".  I thought this was brilliant.  It grudgingly said, "OK, it may be officially SF, but Not enough for me." 

She's an Alien (Half-breed? I don't remember exactly) and talks about going to other planets and orbiting ships.  That qualifies it as "officially" SF.  The questions really are: "Is this your SF?", "Were the elements used well?", "Was the world interesting?"

errant371 would have answered something like: no. no. a little to begin with, but the author didn't keep it going. 

The is or isn't it battles get very boring and I tend to split them off.  This doesn't make anyone happy.  But feel free to call the elements weak and poorly used til the cows come home. 

Thank you and play ball.