Author Topic: Pseudopod 199: Broken Bough  (Read 17730 times)

lisavilisa

• Peltast
Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 01:53:54 AM
I think this technique is particularly problematic in that someone who *doesn't* read genre fiction at all would read this story and go, "Um... I have no idea what happened,"

This combined with not hearing the closing line about Eliot being cold made me not get the zombie angle.  I actually thought he'd killed his son because the world was ending and "was no place for a child".  It took the boards to make me realize what happened.  Pretty good twist [to me] afterwards, but I get the feeling that's because I'm unused to zombie fiction.

The Far Stairs

• Peltast
    • A Thousand Lifetimes in an Hour
Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 04:14:32 AM
I thought this was a solid zombie story. Not as memorable as "The Skull-Faced Boy" or "Everything is Better with Zombies," but well-written and brilliantly read.

Jesse Livingston
Head of Historical Archives
The Far Stairs
www.athousandlifetimes.com

eytanz

Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 04:08:09 PM
the zombie baby was a new angle (for me) that added a lot to it. I guess the option was open that the reanimated dead were not violent, but in the context of previous zombie stories, the image of the toothless baby biting on its mother's breast was truly horrific.

Well, even if the undead were violent, how much damage could a toothless baby zombie do?  I think the crying might have been the best it could do.

Oh, I wasn't horrified by the thought of damage. On the contrary - it's the image of a creature, driven by a desire for flesh that it can in no way fulfil, even when it is presented directly into its mouth. I wasn't horrified by the zombie, I was horrified by the impotent desire that it represented.

disk2

• Extern
Reply #28 on: July 04, 2010, 07:49:04 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this but the "Thump" in this story was more deliciously disturbing than most
of the luridly descriptive deaths I've ever read described. Its been a LONG time since a story made me go "DAMN",
but that did and I loved it. Less truly can be more on occasion.

I do have to wonder though if all of this could have been averted if the parents had only had a pacifier. ;)

SacredCaramel

• Extern
Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 03:34:17 AM
I'm going to fall in line with those who loved this story.  I'm not exactly an aficionado of Zombie fiction, but I enjoy them as a variant of the "end of civilization" genre, which I do like.  This was one of the best I've come across.  While the literary obfuscation was strong, I didn't feel it detracted from the story at all.  Without the "reveal", this just becomes a character study of two souls at the end of their world and ropes, ending with infanticide and suicide, which I personally find to be the most boring of reads (or in this case listens).  Had it ended this way, my reaction would have been very different.  And I felt it was quite subtle.  It is not as if the newscasters suddenly broke in to say, "And the shambling dead have been kept from our shores for another day."  Frankly, the balcony jump was the most obvious part of the story to me.  I had no expectation that it wouldn't happen at the end.

As was said above, the twist brought a whole new imagery to the baby "chewing" at the breast -- or whatever, I can't remember now, and don't have time to listen again; either way, the word chosen wasn't one that would describe normal nursing behavior, and I remember thinking at the time that it was an odd choice.  In hindsight, it seems more like a very subtle foreshadowing.  In my case, the reveal that the baby was already dead snapped the horror into full focus for me (in its variant definition of "the feeling of revulsion that usually occurs after something frightening is seen, heard, or otherwise experienced. It is the feeling one gets after coming to an awful realization or experiencing a deeply unpleasant occurrence." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_%28emotion%29)

We don't have kids, but at the time the realization hit me, I could think of few things more horrific than an undead baby gnawing at a nipple.  It still makes me shudder.  Which, to me, is the mark of an excellent horror story.

rotheche

• Palmer
Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 10:09:46 AM
This was very enjoyable - well, you know what I mean, I'm not saying that undead babies are a happy thought.

By the time the 'reveal' game, I'd more or less worked it out: there was no one 'aha!' moment, but just a dawning realisation that something wasn't right, that it centred on the child, and eventually there was that line about Elliot's skin being cold and clammy despite the warm blankets, and the smell in the apartment.

The reading was hugely effective.  I've spent years working in radio, using my voice to make a living and surrounded by people who do the same, and I was sincerely impressed by the quality of the reading.

And, by the way, nice to hear an Aussie accent again :)

bastette

• Extern
Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 08:32:56 AM
I didn't get this story at all. Part of the problem might have been that I was listening to it on my iPod in a noisy environment and I probably missed some of the words - my hearing's not that great, either. But before I came here and read that it was a zombie story, I had no idea. I'm not too familiar with the zombie sub-genre, so I guess I missed a few cues. I'm not even sure exactly how that was revealed in the story, unless it was that part about the baby lying still and cold, and then 3 days later, moving again. Which didn't reveal anything to me - it just confused me. :)

I'm also noticing that several people thought it was just a case of post-partum depression for a good part of the story. But it was clear to me from the beginning that something major, maybe apocalyptic, had happened, or was in the process of happening. It has already happened in Europe and North America, right? Now it was starting in Australia. We didn't know what "it" was, but whatever was upsetting this couple, it was on the news 24/7.

So were adults becoming zombies, too, or just babies?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 02:07:57 PM
So were adults becoming zombies, too, or just babies?

Presumably adults too, though the roundabout nature of the newscasts makes any solid conclusion a little tricky.

bastette

• Extern
Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 08:13:08 PM
This makes me wonder why the mother (forgot her name - Emma?) thought committing suicide was going to solve any problems...

eytanz

Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 09:37:31 PM
This makes me wonder why the mother (forgot her name - Emma?) thought committing suicide was going to solve any problems...

I'm pretty sure that her state of mind was not such that she was interested in either solving problems, nor rationally evaluating what would be effective at solving problems.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 04:53:04 PM

I'm pretty sure that her state of mind was not such that she was interested in either solving problems, nor rationally evaluating what would be effective at solving problems.

exactly.  Most suicides are particularly rational.  In any case, if the fall squishes her enough, maybe there won't be anything to come back to.

SacredCaramel

• Extern
Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 04:55:41 AM

exactly.  Most suicides are particularly rational.  In any case, if the fall squishes her enough, maybe there won't be anything to come back to.

Rationality has left the building for her, by the time we are listening.  I mean, she was breast-feeding a DEAD baby.  And at some level she knew it, and her husband knew she knew it, that's just one reason why he didn't want her on the balcony.  The situation had no nice fixes, just the best of bad choices.  At least, that's my take on it.