Author Topic: Recommendation for a reader  (Read 5126 times)

mairlistening

• Extern
on: June 28, 2008, 05:43:41 PM
Hi,

A good reader can bring out the best in the story so I'd like to recommend someone that I've listened to on librivox. I'd love to hear her narrate a Podcastle story or two.

Her name is Karen Savage. I've listened to and enjoyed her narrations of Anne of Green Gables, The Railway Children, and Pride and Prejudice (all on librivox).

Here's the link to her reading of Pride and Prejudice on librivox:

http://librivox.org/pride-and-prejudice-by-jane-austen-2/

Listen to some or all of it, and see if you agree.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:44:33 PM
Is she actually British, or does she just do a good job of faking it?  I listened to the first chapter, and while being an American might render my perception flawed, she doesn't feel like a native Brit-speaker to me.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

mairlistening

• Extern
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 11:20:25 PM
As far as I've been able to find out she's a brit who's lived in Texas for a long time. I think that probably accounts for the mixed accent!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 05:44:14 AM
As far as I've been able to find out she's a brit who's lived in Texas for a long time. I think that probably accounts for the mixed accent!

I ended up listening to the whole book, and stopped noticing this issue after a while.  Maybe it's just because I'd recently heard Dani Cutler's awful attempt at sounding British in "Saint Darwin's Spirituals" that I was oversensitive to it.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising