Author Topic: PC014: The Grand Cheat  (Read 29775 times)

Hilary Moon Murphy

• Palmer
  • Proving the inherent superiority of purple hair
Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 08:48:38 PM
OK, I need some help.  Where have I heard other Hilary Moon Murphy stories.  Obviously this story and Run of the Fiery Horse, But I know I've heard another story by her and been to her website before, but I can't remember where.  I thought it was EP but i went through them and didn't find her.  Is anyone aware of other stories she has had podcasted in the last couple of years?  Perhaps Ms. Murphy herself is watching the forum?

Hello there.

Since this post was addressed to me, I figure that I had better log in and answer it.  I don't have any other stories that are in podcast format as yet, though I've been thinking of submitting more of my stuff to Rachel since I love Podcastle's broadcasts.

Perhaps you heard me reading at a SF convention?

Oh, and I have to agree with everyone that the narrator of this story was lovely.  Please bring him back to do other stories!  He was wonderful!

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments on my story.

Hmm

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 09:10:40 PM
Where have I heard other Hilary Moon Murphy stories.  Obviously this story and Run of the Fiery Horse, But I know I've heard another story by her and been to her website before, but I can't remember where.
I don't have any other stories that are in podcast format as yet, though I've been thinking of submitting more of my stuff to Rachel since I love Podcastle's broadcasts.

Hmmm.  Maybe I've just recognized your name from these forums, but I know I've been to your website previously for some reason.

Please do submit more stuff to Podcastle.  You're 2 for 2 in my book.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Hilary Moon Murphy

• Palmer
  • Proving the inherent superiority of purple hair
Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 09:16:13 PM
Hmmm.  Maybe I've just recognized your name from these forums, but I know I've been to your website previously for some reason.

Please do submit more stuff to Podcastle.  You're 2 for 2 in my book.

Okay, I will.  By the way, thank you again for your kind comments.  It is hard as a writer (and a pretty obscure one at that) to find validation at times.  Thank you so much -- all of you -- for giving me a little encouragement at a time when I really needed it.

It's also lovely sharing a table of contents with so many of my own favorite writers.

Hmm

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 11:21:10 PM
****WARNING: This post has nothing to do with the story*****

Okay, maybe since I've already praised this story I can reveal that the first image that comes to mind when I read the title is:

The Cheat from Homestarrunner.com

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 12:16:35 PM
OK, so I've just finished listening to all the PC stories back-to-back, and I'm caught up. And this is far and away the best story so far. I can't think of a single thing I'd change.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 04:18:02 AM

I liked the framing on this one; I thought it added to the the traditional tone of the story, which was a big reason that it worked for me.  One of the things I like best is a classic fantasy built from modern parts -- like Run of the Firey Horse.  Hillary Moon Murphy does it again!!

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Meeks

• Extern
Reply #31 on: August 03, 2008, 07:00:50 PM
Excellent story.  I loved the context that the protagonist was forced to work in, and the way he manipulated things was fantastic!

Myrealana

• Peltast
    • Bad Foodie
Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 06:59:17 PM
I loved this story. Leave it to a lawyer to figure out a way around a god!

"You don't fix faith. Faith fixes you." - Shepherd Book

Coyote

• Palmer
Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 10:52:08 PM
Haha! This story greatly reminded me of old Coyote stories I heard growing up. A well-crafted and satisfying story.

The following sentence is false. The previous sentence is true.

ckastens

• Extern
Reply #34 on: September 20, 2008, 12:48:14 PM
WOW!  Great story!  I've listened to most of the PC stories, and this is my favorite so far.  I missed it the first time, went back to listen, and I'm glad I did.

The "storytelling" feel was great, perfect for the content.  The tale itself is excellent and highly creative (was the part about the rice, etc. completely made up or based on some myth?).

I sighed when the story ended.  ;D

P.S. And I loved the reading as well, great choice.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 09:15:32 PM
I didn't expect to like this one--I'm not sure why, honestly, I guess I should consider that question.  But I did like it.  I like how the god himself became bound to spend all his time running errands to support his own edicts.  I saw the first solution coming, but hadn't had any idea about the second one.

And the reading was excellent as well.  I've been looking forward to reading Rajan's story in Shadows of the Emerald City, which is next on my to-read list, so it's cool to come across him on Podcastle at such a fortuitous time.  :)