Author Topic: Rampant Praise  (Read 14130 times)

Cerebrilith

• Palmer
on: July 03, 2008, 03:27:39 PM
I just want to say that I have a total hetero man-crush on Alasdair.  His intros and outros really make this podcast for me.

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 06:38:15 PM
I have to agree.  Except on the man-crush thing.  I don't handle that very well.  Al really quickly got the feel of hosting and has done an excellent job.

hmm.  Since I'm a moderator, people might not believe I'm sincere.  I think if you look through my back posts a bit, you'll see I'm willing to call something bad if it is.  Anyway I am sincere, damn it.  I really don't do that man-crush thing.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 07:27:06 PM
I have to agree with both of you (again, except the man crush thing, my love of the podcast hasn't turned into a crush...yet).  Pseudopod has quickly become my second favorite podcast (EP will always hold a special place as number one), and it's thanks in large part to the hosting of Al and Ben.  They have done a bang-up job.

Keep up the good work, guys!

(As an aside, it's beginning to concern me that I am agreeing with Russel once in a while.   :-\)

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 07:32:33 PM
Both Al and Ben kick ass with this podcast (as did Mur back in the day).  PP is something special; I dig that they are the middle child of the EA family. 

I still really appreciate the variety of horror they bring to us, and Al's outros are always something to look forward to.   

I do hope we get to hear Ben read again soon.  Seems like it's been a while...

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 09:20:30 PM
I just want to say that I have a total hetero man-crush on Alasdair.  His intros and outros really make this podcast for me.
If this turns in to some kind of fatal attraction thing in the future, please document it and submit your story to PP.

For me, it's his unique pov on the world.
He sounds much more... um.. meek? bookish? not the kind of guy who would read stories about eating baby mice? Anyway, he's charming and disarming, like the Red Queen.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 02:34:26 AM
I thought I was the only one...

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 06:05:47 PM
I am agreeing with Russel once in a while.   :-\

No you aren't

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 01:23:35 AM
I agree with the general sentiment on this thread and I wouldn't mind hearing more stories read by Alasdair.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 03:09:39 AM

No you aren't
Yeah, you're right.

Wait, dammit!

Russell Nash

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 04:45:37 PM

No you aren't
Yeah, you're right.

Wait, dammit!

Ha! Ha!

::Pointing in a mocking manner:: ;)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 03:48:24 AM
oookay, I'm going to have to make this rampant agreeing with russell stop... now.  its getting out of hand.  chodon this is your final warning, do not agree with him again or i'll have to do something.....

alasdair, read more.  :P

Russell Nash

Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 08:32:23 AM
oookay, I'm going to have to make this rampant agreeing with russell stop... now.  its getting out of hand.  chodon this is your final warning, do not agree with him again or i'll have to do something.....

Everyone should agree with me.  Except for a couple of people.  As soon as they agree with me, I have to stop and think about what I missed.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 11:27:34 AM

Everyone should agree with me.  Except for a couple of people.  As soon as they agree with me, I have to stop and think about what I missed.
Agreed.

Russell Nash

Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 11:39:01 AM
Agreed.

Now I have to stop and think about what I missed.   :D

goatkeeper

Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 11:06:26 PM
Not to derail this thread, but I have to rampantly praise Ben as well.  Alasdair's outros rock, but I think Ben needs to read more- he's the perfect voice for this cast.  And other casts too- check out this week's Drabblecast http://web.mac.com/normsherman/Site/Podcast/Entries/2008/7/16_Drabblecast_73-_All_In_by_Peter_AtwoodDrabble-_Clearing_the_Pallet_by_Michael_Young.html.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:12:43 PM by goatkeeper »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 01:51:21 AM
Not to derail this thread, but I have to rampantly praise Ben as well.  Alasdair's outros rock, but I think Ben needs to read more- he's the perfect voice for this cast.  And other casts too- check out this week's Drabblecast http://web.mac.com/normsherman/Site/Podcast/Entries/2008/7/16_Drabblecast_73-_All_In_by_Peter_AtwoodDrabble-_Clearing_the_Pallet_by_Michael_Young.html.

You know, he was reading a lot for a while, but I've noticed he's not reading as much recently, too.  Which is a bummer.  He's perfect for a lot of the stories here.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 04:13:50 PM
He's perfect for a lot of the stories here.

I agree.
I think his best stories have been "Across the Darian Gap" and "Goon Job"

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 04:34:02 PM
He's perfect for a lot of the stories here.

I agree.
I think his best stories have been "Across the Darian Gap" and "Goon Job"

Seriously, I think I could probably make a list out of stories Ben alone has narrated that I absolutely love.  I dug the two you mentioned a lot, also:

Bag Man
What Dead People Are Supposed to Do
Killing Jars
Merlin's Bane
Memories of the Knacker's Yard
The Intrusion
The Mill

Even the stories that I don't necessarily like (the one about the dead dog, for instance, or the Sandwich one), I always enjoy listening to Ben narrate them.

goatkeeper

Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 04:24:58 AM
Indeed.  I'll happily start the "Ben Ben Ben" chant whilst banging my fork on the table.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 05:04:09 PM
Waking up very old thread to say how much I enjoy Alasdair's intros and outros as well.  He has a great voice and I love the philosophy, thinking beyond the story into related topics.  Good stuff!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 10:45:49 PM
THREADOMANCY!  QUICK! MOB AGAINST THE THREADOMANCER!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 05:10:45 AM
I once read a very strange series of books in which magic was performed by manipulating the glowing threads that filled the world but could only be seen by magical sight.  The plot of one of the novels revolved around the healing and protective power of M.C. Hammer's rap music.  I wish I was kidding.

Russell Nash

Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 06:16:27 PM
Bdoomed, be nice.  You know it's far better to have someone raise the dead than to have them create to a new Golem.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 12:57:31 PM
Jack Vance?

Russell Nash

Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 03:46:14 PM
Jack Vance?

If you quote the original poster, we know who you're talking about.