Author Topic: Short Story Podcasts  (Read 35260 times)

goatkeeper

Reply #50 on: May 04, 2008, 05:34:25 AM
I actually love the multi-voice thing about Darker Projects.  The reason I gave up on it was the stories.  I checked out 4 or 5 episodes and thought they were duds and then listened to the series "autumn" which was actually great but had, by far, the biggest "you've gotta be kidding me" ending EVER.
I should check them out again though- I think with better story selection and better mixing on their music/effects this podcast could be amazing.

goatkeeper

Reply #51 on: May 09, 2008, 03:03:58 AM
Mur Lafferty is a robot.
Don't miss this week's Drabblecast.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #52 on: May 09, 2008, 03:30:26 AM
I was looking at the classic tales podcast website and was wondering if anyone knew why only episodes 50 - 53 were available
thanks in advance

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

clonepod

• Extern
    • clonepod
Reply #53 on: May 13, 2008, 10:33:56 PM
Don't forget about our podcast www.clonepod.org - science fiction and fantasy stories read bi-weekly for your happiness.  Some upcoming episoded are Union Dues stories and a story by Neil Gaiman and David Brin.

Listen to sff stories at my podcast, clonepod.org

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #54 on: May 30, 2008, 01:30:47 AM
it appears that after adding new options to the poll you can no longer 'Remove Vote' to change your choices.

i'll probably wipe the voting in a week or two so that everyone has a chance to choose a new set of favourites. if there's a better way to do this i'd be very interested to hear it.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #55 on: May 30, 2008, 02:24:28 AM

Of course, a lot would depend on the friend.  My wife loves This American Life but because of the way I listen to podcasts -- typically working out, cleaning, or doing house and yard work -- I strongly favor shorter podcasts.  And of course, no point in recommending Escape Pod to a friend who just isn't a fan of the genre.

Maybe a better question is: "Select your personal top 11 podcasts."

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #56 on: May 30, 2008, 05:04:42 AM
Hey Nobilis, I enjoyed "Magical Clothes" / "Magical Clothing" (you seemed to oscillate between the two titles; I'm not sure which is the correct one).  I liked how the sex was in service to the story, rather than the story being a vehicle for the sex -- some episodes were surprisingly light on the sexual content, which shows you were definitely thinking "story first." 

Kudos, and I look forward to your next SF project.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #57 on: June 07, 2008, 10:27:05 PM
the poll has been wiped in order to add new options. you now have the chance to change your favourites.

unfortunately, due to program restrictions, the limit is still at eleven votes and the option to change your choices seems to have disappeared. hopefully these wont be big problems.

Of course, a lot would depend on the friend.

Maybe a better question is: "Select your personal top 11 podcasts."

the wording was intentional, this is supposed to be a way for people to discover new podcasts outside of escape artists.

just the fact that we're all reading this forum is an indication that we have similar tastes but, at the same time, we all have personal quirks. things we like that few other people do.

by filtering for a generic friend we should get a good recommendation for the average reader.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 10:33:17 PM by deflective »

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #58 on: June 14, 2008, 12:34:49 PM
Thank you, deflective, for this list of wonderful short story podcasts! I never heard of Drabblecast and now I'm hooked! Wonderful strange podcast.
I must be a real strange girl to be loving those strange stories. Yep, I am. Thanks for introducing the podcast to me!

Having said that, I can't vote this poll... I keep telling my friends how I love fiction podcasts and audiobooks and NOBODY reacts! I want my friends to shout: "Yeah! Love it! Tell me more, please!" And then I will give them the whole list.

Come to think of it, I may need some new friends...

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

eytanz

Reply #59 on: June 14, 2008, 09:41:15 PM
The "recommend to a friend" wording eliminated Air Out My Shorts for me - I listen to it and enjoy it a lot, but between the very irregular updates, the ton of in-jokes, and the rather peculiar sense of humor, I think I would not recommend it to a friend looking fo short stories.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #60 on: June 16, 2008, 10:40:37 PM
Thank you, deflective, for this list of wonderful short story podcasts! I never heard of Drabblecast and now I'm hooked!
I keep telling my friends how I love fiction podcasts and audiobooks and NOBODY reacts!

you're welcome zZzacha, i'm happy the list worked for you =)
i'm sure Norm (known as goatkeeper here) will be happy to hear it too. the new drabblecast b-sides should be interesting.

unfortunately, the same thing happens with my friends as yours. it's disappointing since we all talk about movies and tv shows but i can't talk about a cool podcast. at least everyone's got the forums. i promise you, if you want tell us about a podcast we'll all shout, "tell me more, please!"

The "recommend to a friend" wording eliminated Air Out My Shorts for me

the same thing kept me from voting for the cthulhu podcast. it's fantastic for fans of Lovecraft but unless you're ok with his ponderous writing style the stories can be pretty dry.

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #61 on: June 17, 2008, 03:25:29 AM
...but I did like the "Dreamland" series for its SFnal qualities.

I plan on getting back into the SF after Balticon--my current serial is a speculative fairy tale.  Also, I've done a few shorts along the way with strong SF elements.

I'm interested.  I still have all the files of your show, up through "Magical Clothing Episode 6" though I've only listened as far as show #9 ("Erin Goes Braless").  Is "Magical Clothing" the speculative fairy tale you mention?  I haven't deleted the files yet because something about that title grabbed me.

Sorry to take so long to get back to you... yes, that's the fairy tale.  I'm gearing up for an SF serial if I can get the start hammered out.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #62 on: June 17, 2008, 02:52:34 PM
["Magical Clothing"]
Sorry to take so long to get back to you... yes, that's the fairy tale.  I'm gearing up for an SF serial if I can get the start hammered out.
I'm sure you've already been farther downthread where I said how I enjoyed the story.   :)

I'm no longer subscribed to your feed, so I'll try to periodically check in on your site watching for the SF serial.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #63 on: June 17, 2008, 10:18:30 PM

I'm the only person who voted for Well Told Tales?

I'm curious: are there people who have heard it and don't like it -- at least not well enough to make it though the "generic friend" filter -- or is it just that nobody has heard of it?

I still find "generic friend" difficult to apply.  None of my friends are generic...   ::)

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #64 on: June 17, 2008, 10:34:24 PM

I'm curious: are there people who have heard it and don't like it -- at least not well enough to make it though the "generic friend" filter -- or is it just that nobody has heard of it?

I still find "generic friend" difficult to apply.  None of my friends are generic...   ::)

I should probably give them another try.  But, yeah, I listened to an episode of it -- the one Rick Stringer from VF narrated about the gangsters and the alligators, and just didn't feel the story that much.  It was okay, but I only have so much time, and my podcast backlist feels overwhelming already.  But like I said, I will probably give them another try eventually. 

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #65 on: June 17, 2008, 10:41:45 PM

I hadn't heard of most of the podcasts on the list.  Or rather, I've heard of some of them, via promos in other podcasts that I listen to, but hadn't bothered to check any of them out yet.

I buy mine at Costco by the case.  :P

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #66 on: June 18, 2008, 01:21:11 AM

I subscribed for four of five episodes, didn't like it, ended my subscription.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #67 on: June 18, 2008, 12:55:43 PM

MeMeMe!!!! I love Well Told Tales! Only, I decided not to vote this poll, because I can never recommend anything to friends, because they don't seem to like audio fiction. If I had any real cool friends, I would recommend most of the podcasts.
Okay, I'll go and answer the question in the hypothetical situation that I had cool friends ;P

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #68 on: June 18, 2008, 12:57:08 PM
Are we the only person who voted for Well Told Tales?

The Dunesteef

• Palmer
    • The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine
Reply #69 on: July 08, 2008, 09:24:18 PM
Just adding to the list.  A new podcast that just posted the first story today, The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine.  It can be found at www.dunesteef.com.  I hope you like it.

Check out some great stories at The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #70 on: July 08, 2008, 09:47:26 PM
You missed "Basic Brewing Radio" in the poll.  Please fix that.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #71 on: July 09, 2008, 12:16:28 AM

a) you didn't provide a link
2. that doesn't sound like a short story podcast

A new podcast that just posted the first story today, The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine.  It can be found at www.dunesteef.com.  I hope you like it.

the first post here has been edited with your link. new links are added to the poll in batches since voting is reset when that happens.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #72 on: July 09, 2008, 10:29:34 AM
a) you didn't provide a link
2. that doesn't sound like a short story podcast
Right...I guess I missed the part that says "short story podcast" in the topic.  I'm a stupid dummy sometimes.  Or most of the time.  My apologies. ;D

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.