Author Topic: Film Poll Quarterfinals in 3D!  (Read 22392 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: July 09, 2008, 05:53:37 PM
The first half of the semifinals is now set: Star Wars vs. Empire.  So we know at least one film from the saga is going to be represented in the final.  What will it be up against?  The second bracket starts now.   The Matrix beat Fellowship and Serenity, but Princess Bride was undefeated in the regular poll.  Which one moves on?

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 06:01:55 PM
No contest Princess Bride.  When I managed a video store, I had this running on the screens almost everyday and none of us got tired of it. 

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 06:05:56 PM
And here I was thinking I'd be the lone voice of reason... Matrix didn't make me want to gnaw off my own legs to escape the theater.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 06:06:57 PM
And here I was thinking I'd be the lone voice of reason... Matrix didn't make me want to gnaw off my own legs to escape the theater.

But The Princess Bride did?  Or am I misunderstanding you here?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 06:08:12 PM

But The Princess Bride did?  Or am I misunderstanding you here?

Jeff is on record in a couple of places as absolutely hating PB.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 06:23:21 PM
Jeff is some kind of crazy fool.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 06:30:25 PM

Ah.  I missed that.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 06:43:45 PM

Ah.  I missed that.

So did I.

I love the Princess Bride, don't get me wrong.  But the first Matrix knocked my socks off. 

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 07:08:58 PM
Difficult choice. But I can't vote against PB.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:46:34 PM
Princess Bride, firstly because it's great and secondly because I loved The Matrix until the sequels. 

A few years back we tried watching it again.

The scene with Cypher and Agent Smith?  We AGREED with him.

Great movie obliterated by the follow ups for me.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 03:20:05 AM
I'm with whoever said "What sequels? The Matrix was a standalone movie." (stePH, i think)

Man, these polls are getting a LOT harder.... hmm... i really don't know which one to vote for.

I think since i voted for the shallower of the two in Star Wars vs. Fight Club, i'll do the opposite this round and vote for Matrix.

edit: holy crap that was a wasted vote. :D

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 03:36:12 AM

I think since i voted for the shallower of the two in Star Wars vs. Fight Club, i'll do the opposite this round and vote for Matrix.

Shallow wins all.  It's the nature of polls - the movies left standing are going to be what qualifies as the lowest common denominator for this group.

If it was up to me, 2001 would have won the whole thing, but most folks don't appreciate it like I do.  Of course I love Princess Bride too, but everyone can appreciate that.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 04:41:26 AM
I'm with whoever said "What sequels? The Matrix was a standalone movie." (stePH, i think)

Yup, that was me.  I mean, it's true, isn't it? 

And Frank Herbert never wrote any sequels to Dune, and his son never wrote any related books with or without Kevin Anderson.  And I'm still waiting for a movie adaptation of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I could go on all night ....  8)

Russell Nash

Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 09:47:47 AM

And Frank Herbert never wrote any sequels to Dune, and his son never wrote any related books with or without Kevin Anderson.  And I'm still waiting for a movie adaptation of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Relax… have a drink… take it easy.  Think of your special place and feel the anger leave your body.  It's OK.  Life is OK.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 11:51:04 AM

I'm still trying to work out why they only ever make odd-numbered Die Hard movies...

Russell Nash

Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 12:37:42 PM

I'm still trying to work out why they only ever make odd-numbered Die Hard movies...

There were no sequels to Die Hard.  Bruse Willis has too much integrity to make sequels.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 01:16:36 PM
... and even-numbered Star Trek movies.

There were no sequels to Die Hard.  Bruse Willis has too much integrity to make sequels.
In my universe there's a sequel with Jeremy Irons and Samuel L. Jackson costarring along with Willis, and while not a patch on the first film I think it's pretty good.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 01:33:28 PM
In my universe there's a sequel with Jeremy Irons and Samuel L. Jackson costarring along with Willis, and while not a patch on the first film I think it's pretty good.
Agreed.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 02:13:50 PM
hmm,  I actually rather liked the movie HHGTTG. That probably makes me a horrible person, or at least a very poor Douglas Adams fan.

But then, I just owned up to liking Waterworld, too, so maybe I should just be fired from cinema fandom for all eternity. :p

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 02:44:59 PM
hmm,  I actually rather liked the movie HHGTTG. That probably makes me a horrible person, or at least a very poor Douglas Adams fan.

But then, I just owned up to liking Waterworld, too, so maybe I should just be fired from cinema fandom for all eternity. :p

I also liked HHGTTG, and what makes it worse is I have not read a single HHGTTG book.   I will join you in cinema / sci-fi damnation. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 03:26:57 PM
Not having read the book likely made the difference. I have, and absolutely loved it.. but not recently, so all the changes they made didn't bother me, much like with the LOTR movies. Hadn't read the books in a while, so I didn't really notice the differences much. Seems best to do it that way, imho, that way I enjoy both the books and movie equally. :) (likewise with harry potter).

I absolutely recommend the books, though. You won't be sorry. (at least the first few. I did not like how the HHGTTG series ended).

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 04:25:11 PM
I absolutely recommend the books, though. You won't be sorry. (at least the first few. I did not like how the HHGTTG series ended).

Is two novels a "series"?  ;)  Or do you perhaps mean the 6-part TV series?  Or even the original 12-part radio series?

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 05:00:25 PM
Is two novels a "series"?  ;)  Or do you perhaps mean the 6-part TV series?  Or even the original 12-part radio series?
I think five novels would count as a series. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; The Restaurant at the End of the Universe; Life, the Universe and Everything; So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish and Mostly Harmless.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 05:38:49 PM

There are no books.  HhGttG is a 12 part radio series.  I just wish Adams had finished it before he died.  I want to know what happens after Arthur steals the Heart of Gold with Lintilla, leaving Zaphod and Ford stranded on the planet with the man who rules the universe...

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 06:00:16 PM
There are no books.  HhGttG is a 12 part radio series.  I just wish Adams had finished it before he died.  I want to know what happens after Arthur steals the Heart of Gold with Lintilla, leaving Zaphod and Ford stranded on the planet with the man who rules the universe...

I'm inclined to agree, but I did enjoy the two novels that fell into my possession from a parallel universe, as well as the 6-part TV series (which seems to be an adaptation of the first half of the radio series with elements of the novels dropped in.)  In fact, were it not for the novels I might never have become aware of the radio play.