Author Topic: Notes from the Vault  (Read 7283 times)

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
on: July 11, 2008, 02:34:38 PM
Phil Rossi's recent project of short stories, Notes from the Vault (available on Podiobooks.com or through Itunes) just started a few days ago. The first 8 stories on the feed are the previously released Crescent Vignettes, well worth the listen if you haven't already. Episode 9 is new, and I made the mistake of listening to Episode 9: "Let the Dead Lie" while hunting mushrooms deep in the woods last evening, alone. Creeped me right the hell out!
What Sigler has in over the top violence, Rossi has in true horror.

Anyone else listening?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 03:48:50 PM
I got so tired of him in Crescent that I won't be listening to anything else.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 04:24:37 PM
I got so tired of him in Crescent that I won't be listening to anything else.

Really??
Was it his drawl?

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 04:38:54 PM
The only reason it was on a space station was that it had already been done 5000 times as a haunted house.  He had almost no understanding of science.  Somethings were downright stupid, but were there because he was too lazy to come up with a better reason.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 05:08:44 PM
The only reason it was on a space station was that it had already been done 5000 times as a haunted house.  He had almost no understanding of science.  Somethings were downright stupid, but were there because he was too lazy to come up with a better reason.
Yeah... but the sex scenes were hot.

Russell Nash

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 05:15:13 PM
I don't really remember any of them, so I guess they weren't.  I'm a dirty old man.  The stuff has to be really good to make an impression on me.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 07:57:35 AM
Huh. I loved Crescent. To each their own I guess.

I don't know crap about science/technology, so I guess that helps. :p (see, there are certain advantages to being an ignoramus.. heh  :P)

Russell Nash

Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 12:49:46 PM
There was just downright stupid mistakes.

Crescent didn't spin, so it had magic gravity.  Crescent also had all sorts of power problems, but never lost gravity.

600 years in the future, but they put glass mirrors in jail cells??

600 years in the future, but they're still using LCD screens??

the list goes on and on.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 02:52:38 PM
I didnt even notice any of those things. The last two it wouldnt have even occurred me to be bothered by. Hehehe.

Russell Nash

Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 07:51:31 PM
They haven't had glass mirrors in jail cells ever, because they're weapons.  It's just lazy writing-

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 04:30:15 PM
I heard a promo for this on one of Sigler's episodes of Nocturnal, and I think it creeped me out more than the Sigler episode did. 

shwankie

Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 07:30:39 PM
This isn't going to surprise anyone, I suppose, but I loved Crescent. The science of it--or lack thereof--didn't bother me for whatever reason. It was "haunted-house" storytelling, but it worked for me. Russell does have a point about that--the setting was somewhat irrelevant, but I liked the story, the narrative voice, and the pacing. The spacestation setting could have been a large resort complex and the same story could have been told; but, that didn't hurt the story for me. Many stories could have locations moved and still work well. Also, I love Phil's voice, which helps tremendously on almost any podcast (voice can literally make or break a 'cast for me, completely independant of the content). I often focus on things that it seems others don't notice or care about much in audio, so my listening tastes can be pretty divergent from what most poeple would expect if they looked at my taste in books. There was one 'cast mentioned on EP a while ago that I *should* have loved, but I got through about 5 episodes (on shee will) and haven't listened since.

I was thrilled when I saw this on podiobooks.com, and have listened to all of it, even though I'd already listened to the first 7 before. It actually reminded me I wanted to listen to Crescent again, which I did on my flight last week. This was possibly a bad idea.  :o

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 10:32:27 PM
This isn't going to surprise anyone, I suppose, but I loved Crescent. The science of it--or lack thereof--didn't bother me for whatever reason. It was "haunted-house" storytelling, but it worked for me. Russell does have a point about that--the setting was somewhat irrelevant, but I liked the story, the narrative voice, and the pacing. The spacestation setting could have been a large resort complex and the same story could have been told; but, that didn't hurt the story for me. Many stories could have locations moved and still work well. Also, I love Phil's voice, which helps tremendously on almost any podcast (voice can literally make or break a 'cast for me, completely independant of the content). I often focus on things that it seems others don't notice or care about much in audio, so my listening tastes can be pretty divergent from what most poeple would expect if they looked at my taste in books. There was one 'cast mentioned on EP a while ago that I *should* have loved, but I got through about 5 episodes (on shee will) and haven't listened since.

I was thrilled when I saw this on podiobooks.com, and have listened to all of it, even though I'd already listened to the first 7 before. It actually reminded me I wanted to listen to Crescent again, which I did on my flight last week. This was possibly a bad idea.  :o

Yeah thats it exactly; half of it was the storytelling itself. Creepy! And the pacing really worked for me as well. One minor complaint would be not really understanding why he stuck that "epilogue" thing in there long after the rest of it, but I'll get over it.

Phil Rossi actually dropped by the Brave Men Run chatroom on Sunday during the promotion; that was pretty cool for me. Almost all my favorite podcast authors hanging out in one room.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 01:58:21 AM
I was so bummed to have missed that event--I was in another state travelling (via car), with no web access until this morning. ERGH. I wonder if there's any way I can download some of it--anyone know?

My absolute favorite promo for any award, podcast, etc. ever was Phil's wife. I think we listened to that about 40 times. I'd love to meet them both, but I suspect Thaur and I wouldn't be nearly as interesting and funny in contrast as we think we are.  ;D

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 02:49:20 AM
Thaur, the chatroom shenanigans and video feed wont be available, but Matt said he'll be releasing the stories as an anthology on podiobooks. Which is good, because the unfortunate timing of my quest to go get food led to me missing Mur Lafferty's.