Escape Artists
May 22, 2019, 12:08:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Podcastle Flash Fiction contest has begun!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC010: Magic in a Certain Slant of Light  (Read 26696 times)
Schreiber
Peltast

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 01:07:16 AM »

While I enjoy "genre" fiction as much as the next fanboy, I really appreciated the contemporary literary feel this story brought to the table.
Chivalrybean
Peltast

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2008, 02:28:29 AM »

I haven't read this all yet, but I did start a story, and not only is it TOTALLY SWEET! it has a zeppelin in it.

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.
cuddlebug
Peltast

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2008, 04:38:23 AM »

Thank you for identifying what annoyed me the most about this story. As another INTJ, I was very frustrated that she, for all her brilliance and foresight (real and imagined) had done absolutely no self-reflection. (As it's rather dark in one's navel if not lower in the anatomy). The universe here is one which she either knows or defines, i.e. it revolves around her. Why has she never wondered how the universe would appear to her if it did not and what difference it would make?

She needs to get over herself.

Right, good point. Thanks for that. But all the "Nabelschau" (something like 'navel inspection' ...your own German lesson, and all for free  Smiley) and perceived/imagined similarities aside, it is a good story, one that resonated with quite a lot of people apparently, BECAUSE the main character was so flawed, but still able to 'get over herself' by the end of the story, if not entirely .. still noticeably. And who wants to listen to stories with flawless characters? Hell, to be honest, I prefer flawed people over perfection any day, and that includes friends and people I know.
hautdesert
Editor

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2008, 08:14:44 AM »

I haven't read this all yet, but I did start a story, and not only is it TOTALLY SWEET! it has a zeppelin in it.

I love that story.  It was one of the first things I ever read by Benjamin Rosenbaum and it made me an instant fan.
Chivalrybean
Peltast

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2008, 12:01:27 PM »

Thank you for identifying what annoyed me the most about this story. As another INTJ, I was very frustrated that she, for all her brilliance and foresight (real and imagined) had done absolutely no self-reflection. (As it's rather dark in one's navel if not lower in the anatomy). The universe here is one which she either knows or defines, i.e. it revolves around her. Why has she never wondered how the universe would appear to her if it did not and what difference it would make?

She needs to get over herself.

Right, good point. Thanks for that. But all the "Nabelschau" (something like 'navel inspection' ...your own German lesson, and all for free  Smiley) and perceived/imagined similarities aside, it is a good story, one that resonated with quite a lot of people apparently, BECAUSE the main character was so flawed, but still able to 'get over herself' by the end of the story, if not entirely .. still noticeably. And who wants to listen to stories with flawless characters? Hell, to be honest, I prefer flawed people over perfection any day, and that includes friends and people I know.

Except maybe the flaw where they think they are perfect? {;0p

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.
Planish
Hipparch

Fun will now commence.

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2008, 05:46:07 PM »

First of all, before I forget...
I listened to this at my workplace (a slow day, on a weekend shift) and was in the staff lunch room the first time the word "zeppelin" was spoken. I happened to turn around right at that moment, and there on the TV was a zoomed-in shot of the Goodyear blimp, on some Golf show. Shocked

This story had no small amount of charm, but I think I'd have to read it (not just listen to it) a few more times to fully appreciate it. It's one of those stories where you don't know what's going to be important the first time through. Or maybe you have to stand back and look at the whole thing as a tapestry.

Similar to "Come Lady Death", nothing really magical or mundanely impossible happened, yet it did a good job of showing the blurry line between the mundane, the magical, and the scientific.

Whatever gave that power maybe was trying to tell her she didn't always know everything.  Or if she acts upon it it may change the outsome.
Yeah, I'd say that was underlined by the reference to Schroedinger's Cat.

One of my "if I was a billionaire" fantasies has always been to have a dirigible and fly it along the Trans-Canada Highway, picking up hitch-hikers. I'd drift as silently as possible up behind them, and drop a ladder down to them with a "Welcome Aboard" sign on it. All just to see the looks on their faces.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")
ajames
Lochage

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2008, 06:08:32 AM »

Thanks to your reply to my post, eytanz. You make some good points, and I like your interpretation much better. I will have to listen to the ending again; I definitely was distracted at a couple of places the first time through.

Um, did you mean Cuddlebug? I didn't post a reply on this thread since you last posted (and Cuddlebug and I may be co-workers, but we're not the same person).

Yes, I did - sorry  for the confusion Cuddlebug and eytanz.

Oh, and a word on personality tests like the Myer-Briggs - they are almost certainly being used in ways not intended or scientifically validated, so my advice is to have fun with them (and I admit they are fun) but don't make life decisions based upon the results!
Archie
Extern

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2008, 07:32:15 AM »

Nice vocals and a beautiful, may I say magically, romantic story. Had me in tears at the end. Then I'm a sucker for a love story!
koda
Extern

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2008, 02:11:02 PM »

We all had our heart broken before, and the more we love the more it hurts, the more we struggle with it and the longer it takes us to get over it. But it is not just that, it is also that everything in the story felt so tangible to me (actually, I think that is the perfect word for it, tangible or maybe tactile?), even down to the ‘premonitions’. 

EXACTLY.
I am going back through stories I have listened to before because and skipping the ones I know I hated.  I had to look for this thread on page 2 - that's how you know I am serious! =)

It isn't like I sit around wondering when the world will end, but I have considered what it might feel like.

Live every week like it's Shark Week!
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »

This was an alright story, but the protagonist just got on my nerves.  Not that she was unrealistic, or a bad person, or anything, but I never really believed that she had real premonitions, and so the fact that she was so convinced that he was going to leave here started to grate.  If you believe so strongly that a relationship is going to end, it just seems more likely that you'll cause the end yourself by overanalyzing every meaningless detail. 

I did enjoy the talking dogs/zeppelin banter--that was cute and felt real.
chemistryguy
Matross

Serving the Detroit Metro area since 1970

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 06:50:31 AM »

This story was beautiful and subtle.  Absolutely worth a visit for those who haven't heard it or for those who haven't listened to it recently.

Reality and fantasy were blended together in such a way that made the story not only plausible, but had me believing in magic.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: