Author Topic: PC016: Magnificent Pigs  (Read 37023 times)

hautdesert

• Editor
Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 02:17:53 PM
Oh, random question about the intro - what was the book with the story about the camp children being eaten? That sounds like a book that my cousin's daughters might enjoy...

It's a story in a collection--

http://www.amazon.com/Noisy-Outlaws-Unfriendly-Blobs-Things/dp/1932416358/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216476953&sr=8-1

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #26 on: July 20, 2008, 07:49:46 PM
Overall I liked this story. The only bit I thought could have been better was the "foreshadowing" (read: dead givaway (to me)) when Nurse Grumpy said 'blah blah when pigs fly blah blah'. Nurse G. could have said something mean and not even mentioned pigs, and I think they story would have been better.

Ok, maybe another thing. If the pigs had taken on, even slightly, some kinds of characteristics of whatever was tattooed on them before, this might have made the ending stronger.

But, I liked the story anyways and am glad to have heard it. It made me happy instead of sad like the intro warning made me think it might.

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 08:32:26 PM
The only bit I thought could have been better was the "foreshadowing" (read: dead givaway (to me)) when Nurse Grumpy said 'blah blah when pigs fly blah blah'. Nurse G. could have said something mean and not even mentioned pigs, and I think they story would have been better.

is that phrase ever used as anything but a set up?
it's just a little airborn. it's still good, it's still good...

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 11:52:25 PM
The only bit I thought could have been better was the "foreshadowing" (read: dead givaway (to me)) when Nurse Grumpy said 'blah blah when pigs fly blah blah'. Nurse G. could have said something mean and not even mentioned pigs, and I think they story would have been better.

is that phrase ever used as anything but a set up?
Once again, I'm reminded of Dinosaur Comics...

Science means that not all dreams can come true

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 08:31:09 PM
This one hit a lot of good notes for me.  Made me laugh, made extremely sad, made me hope.  Great story by Ms. Rambo.  Excellent pick, and I'm always a fan of MWS's readings.   I thought he was the perfect narrator for this piece.

MattArnold

• Extern
    • nemorathwald.com
Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 02:52:52 PM
Boring. Instead of Podcastle, this should have been published in Reader's Digest.

It took me to no new worlds, and tacked on a couple of paragraphs of impossibility for no reason. Alongside Escape Pod's "Love and Death In The Time Of Monsters", I am thoroughly cancered out.

Ragtime

• Palmer
    • Comic Book Thoughts
Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 03:16:36 PM
I agree with those who feel that the Fantasy element was "tacked on."  There was nothing preceding in the story (aside from the fact that it was on Podcastle) that led one to think that Fantastical Things may be afoot.  So when it comes, it is sort of out of left field.

Thinking back later on the "Why The Pigs Flew" question, I started to wonder about Ms. Huber.  When I first listened to the story, I was turned off by the physical description:

"She was an elderly woman dressed in black, a blue and white scarf bound around her hair to hold it in place. She had an enormous beaklike nose and bright black eyes that glittered at me as though daring me to rebuff her."

So, the only physical description of the Jewish character is that she has dark eyes and a huge hooked nose?  Immediately turned me off as "Jewish Stereotype."  Thinking back, it made me wonder if maybe it was intended to be "Witch Stereotype" as well.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #32 on: July 22, 2008, 05:56:39 PM
Thinking back later on the "Why The Pigs Flew" question, I started to wonder about Ms. Huber.  When I first listened to the story, I was turned off by the physical description:

"She was an elderly woman dressed in black, a blue and white scarf bound around her hair to hold it in place. She had an enormous beaklike nose and bright black eyes that glittered at me as though daring me to rebuff her."

So, the only physical description of the Jewish character is that she has dark eyes and a huge hooked nose?  Immediately turned me off as "Jewish Stereotype." 

She was Jewish?  That part got lost on me.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Ragtime

• Palmer
    • Comic Book Thoughts
Reply #33 on: July 22, 2008, 06:22:49 PM

It was very clear and a recurring plot point.  You might want to re-listen if you missed that.  Continuing the paragraph I quoted above:

She had an enormous beaklike nose and bright black eyes that glittered at me as though daring me to rebuff her. It was Mrs. Huber, whose husband had died a few years before.I don't know why she stuck in Bedford. She had, and was an object of some curiosity, being the town's only Jew.

Also:

Jilly loved her like a mother. I got fond of her myself. There was a certain irony to a Jew living on a pig farm, particularly with a tattoo artist. She didn't keep kosher, so she ate with us each night, although she'd never touch pork. . . She coaxed Jilly's tender appetite with blintzes and rugelach, kugel and kreplach. The kitchen took on a constant simmer of cinnamon that was a pleasant change from TV dinners.

Also:
She named them Celeste, Patience, Rutabaga, Bill, Princess Splendid, and (predictably) Wilbur. Mrs. H. professed to hate them. "Trafe!" she said, and spat whenever they were mentioned, but I noticed her assembling leftovers for Jilly to feed them.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 06:25:00 PM by Ragtime »

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #34 on: July 22, 2008, 06:24:02 PM
Heh. Someone beat me to the quotes.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #35 on: July 22, 2008, 08:31:22 PM

It was very clear and a recurring plot point.  You might want to re-listen if you missed that. 

Thanks, I don't think I will; there are many other stories much more worthy of a repeat listen.

(I forgot which one Mrs. Huber was; I thought it was the bitchy and cruel former nurse.)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 09:09:54 PM
Sweet for what it was, but very light fare indeed. I could feel the heartstrings being plucked - and that's fine - but it seemed to play out of tune at the end which I thought was rushed and much too ambiguous.

ajames

• Lochage
Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 11:55:11 PM
Ok, maybe another thing. If the pigs had taken on, even slightly, some kinds of characteristics of whatever was tattooed on them before, this might have made the ending stronger.

I like that idea, and it would have addressed somewhat the 'tacked on fantasy' feeling.

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 11:05:55 AM
I thought this story was wonderous. Gorgous and sad. The ending was a mite bit hurried, and I was a little sad at how the pigs were, then wern't, there. I wanted... more from flying pigs.

MacArthurBug expresses my thoughts exactly. The story was both cute and sad and I missed something in the ending too.

I wanted to know more about the little girl and the pigs, the story left those 'characters' a bit floating (pun). I kept expecting to get deeper into the characters of the little girl and the pigs and then they just flew away!

I don't have problems with open endings when the story has given a strong basis (character building etc.) so that I can play with possible storylines in my head. If the story building is strong enough and I 'know' the characters, I can think about possible endings for days and I love that! I think the characters in my head love that too, BTW.
However, I missed the character building for the pigs and the girls and that left me with an unsatisfied feeling at the end.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

smithmikeg

• Extern
    • Life Without Robots
Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 06:22:03 PM
I usually have trouble paying attention through a whole story, but this one kept me engaged all the way through.  I think the fact that Charlotte's Web is the first story I remember having read to me as a child may have something to do with it.  The vulnerability and hopeless situation drew me in, too.  It's odd, this is NOT the kind of story that I would choose to read on my own, but I liked it.

quia ego sic dico

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 06:51:10 PM
It's odd, this is NOT the kind of story that I would choose to read on my own, but I liked it.

Honestly, that's what I love about all the EA podcasts.  A lot of the stuff they feature is typically not what I'd choose to pick up to read on my own.  So I really feel like they do a good job of helping me broaden my horizons.  Or at least my mind.

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #41 on: July 26, 2008, 01:11:25 AM
I thought it was a terrific story.  It was very sweet.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 05:56:14 AM
finally got to listen, que cute.  wonderful story, cept i dont buy the fact that the first nanny is so mean spirited.  doesnt seem likely

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 04:01:09 PM
finally got to listen, que cute.  wonderful story, cept i dont buy the fact that the first nanny is so mean spirited.  doesnt seem likely

Why don't you think it likely?  Is it you don't buy caregivers being so mean in general, or something else?

I've seen some recordings of caregivers like her be physically abusive to their patients.  That's certainly weird, and I can't understand why someone who hates taking care of people would sign up for that kind of job.  (Then again, I've met a few teachers who just do it for the paycheck and summer breaks.)

stephenmid

• Extern
Reply #44 on: August 03, 2008, 05:14:17 PM
Nice story - reminded me very strongly of "Through a Glass, Darkly" by Jostein Gaarder - a very touching story of a dying child as well.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #45 on: August 04, 2008, 06:29:49 PM

Why don't you think it likely?  Is it you don't buy caregivers being so mean in general, or something else?

I've seen some recordings of caregivers like her be physically abusive to their patients.  That's certainly weird, and I can't understand why someone who hates taking care of people would sign up for that kind of job.  (Then again, I've met a few teachers who just do it for the paycheck and summer breaks.)
i just dont think a caregiver would spit such harsh words at a dying child.  it would be one thing if the kid was a brat, but to just be so evil is pretty unrealistic. (then again, im accusing a fantasy story of being unrealistic ha)

eytanz

Reply #46 on: August 04, 2008, 06:42:23 PM
i just dont think a caregiver would spit such harsh words at a dying child.  it would be one thing if the kid was a brat, but to just be so evil is pretty unrealistic. (then again, im accusing a fantasy story of being unrealistic ha)

I'm afraid you are rather naive, then. Not that I want to disparage caregivers in general - most of them are doing exactly what they are supposed to - but there are many cases of caregiver abuse every year, many much worse than the one in this story.

Sometimes people take caregiver jobs and can't handle the emotional strain and find that to keep their own emotions safe they must dehumanize the people they care for. Others are just bullies, who take caregiver jobs because they enjoy being in a position of power over another human being and have no compassion at all. I wish this was limited to fantasy, but that's not at all true.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #47 on: August 04, 2008, 07:15:49 PM

I'm afraid you are rather naive, then. Not that I want to disparage caregivers in general - most of them are doing exactly what they are supposed to - but there are many cases of caregiver abuse every year, many much worse than the one in this story.

Sometimes people take caregiver jobs and can't handle the emotional strain and find that to keep their own emotions safe they must dehumanize the people they care for. Others are just bullies, who take caregiver jobs because they enjoy being in a position of power over another human being and have no compassion at all. I wish this was limited to fantasy, but that's not at all true.
Agreed. The majority of carers go into the profession because they want to help people, and do a wonderful, selfless job. But a small minority (though you'd probably be surprised at how large that small minority is) are... bad eggs. Some are good people who just can't handle the massive amount of stress that can be involved, and others honestly seem to get off on abusing the people in their care, just because they're vulnerable. Any job that puts people in direct, unsupervised contact with the defenceless is going to attract people who, for want of a better word, are evil.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #48 on: August 17, 2008, 09:22:43 PM
meh, i like to have more faith in humanity than it deserves...  it's a curse, i'm always let down.

Lionman

• Peltast
  • Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
    • The Practice of IT.
Reply #49 on: August 18, 2008, 05:33:03 PM
I liked this story, perhaps a strong tie to reality.  However, when we get to the end, I thought it felt a little contrived, or forced.  I think perhaps it could have been done differently.  But, then again, I'm playing the arm-chair writier.

Failure is an event, not a person.