Author Topic: PC016: Magnificent Pigs  (Read 37010 times)

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #50 on: August 22, 2008, 02:32:11 PM
Madam Z,  You agree with me because you are a gifted talented amazing woman. I agree, a rushed ending isn't always bad.  In this instance there was indeed just not enough building done to send aloft. A poorly folded paper plane just won't fly.  Tattoed pigs is a BEAUTIFUL idea. But then it was rushed out the door to do it's job instead of lingering long enough to become a fantastic dream.
Lion,
yup. Good to see you saw it too. Armchair writers unite. Shall we off and write some armchairs?

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Hilary Moon Murphy

• Palmer
  • Proving the inherent superiority of purple hair
Reply #51 on: September 03, 2008, 04:23:47 AM
I really enjoyed this one.

Maybe it is because I am on a death watch for someone who is currently on hospice care.  Maybe it is because I fantasize about being able to send her flying off on her journey accompanied by tattooed pigs... But this one struck a chord for me, and allowed me to cry in a really therapeutic manner.

Thanks for airing this one.

Hmm

PS I did see the narrator as female (I heard "Erin".)  The evil nurse reminded me of someone that we dealt with in the nursing home.  There are some mean-spirited people in every profession. 

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #52 on: September 11, 2008, 06:38:32 AM

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #53 on: September 11, 2008, 01:15:28 PM
some pig

LOL, this one has a trampstamp:

My wife would probably like the Louis Vuitton pig.  ;D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #54 on: September 14, 2008, 03:38:53 AM
some pig

I can't help but notice that the "less likely to be butchered" thing obviously didn't work out for those displayed as skins...

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #55 on: September 14, 2008, 03:15:25 PM
some pig

I can't help but notice that the "less likely to be butchered" thing obviously didn't work out for those displayed as skins...

I was noticing that as well.  This and I couldn't decided if there were more Disney princess pigs or more religious themed pigs..

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Myrealana

• Peltast
    • Bad Foodie
Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 05:55:22 PM
I found this story sad, wistful, and beautiful. It tugged at just the right heartstrings to almost, but not quite, bring me to tears.

Lovely.

"You don't fix faith. Faith fixes you." - Shepherd Book

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #57 on: November 19, 2009, 04:43:09 PM
This is a really good story--I tend to like Cat's stories, so that's no huge shocker.

Fantasy?  Only in a certain light.  It's fantasy in the same way that Big Fish is fantasy.  I know that the fantasy elements are not true in the strictest sense, but they exist in some respects, and that is enough for me.  I like that Podcastle keeps an open mind, allowing all sorts of fantasy in, even that which is a tad metaphorical.

This had a lot of good emotions, and I didn't see the wing tattoos coming, though afterwards I wondered how I missed it.  The descriptions of each set of wings were lovely details.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #58 on: January 30, 2013, 07:23:26 PM
grown up sister rather than father... did I interpret that wrong?

Grown-up brother... I'm pretty sure the gender is specified, but I could have imposed that on the text, I suppose.

The name is given as Aaron, but I think that's the only mention.

Note that I heard that as Erin, and had myself thought that the story was narrated by a sister until I came to post on the thread. I'm still trying to figure out whether that changes my perception of the story.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who heard Erin. The older sibling relationship seemed rather non-specific as to gender, so I don't think this changes my perception of the story at all.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”