Author Topic: Watchmen Trailer  (Read 44323 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #100 on: January 17, 2009, 10:41:14 PM
More importantly, Fox will get a gross participation in "Watchmen" that scales between 5% and 8.5%, depending on the film’s worldwide revenues. Fox also participates as a gross player in any sequels and spinoffs, sources said.
[/quote]

That at least I'm actually happy about.  It drastically reduces the chance that the studio will actually make any spinoffs if they have to share the profits.  And... There.  Should.  Be.  No.  Spinoffs.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #101 on: March 01, 2009, 05:08:56 PM
Anybody else heard aboot the Watchmen Motion Comic?  Looks interesting, and will probably be a better "movie" than the theatrical film promises to be.  I'm not ready to buy webisodes yet though ... I can't really afford luxuries right now; probably won't even be able to go see the movie.  :(
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:29:59 AM by stePH »

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Russell Nash

Reply #102 on: March 05, 2009, 07:55:24 AM
I find Roger Ebert to be a pretty decent reviewer.  I don't always agree with him, but if he doesn't like something, he blasts it.  You gotta respect that.  In his review he gave Watchmen four stars.

After the revelation of “The Dark Knight,” here is “Watchmen,” another bold exercise in the liberation of the superhero movie. It’s a compelling visceral film — sound, images and characters combined into a decidedly odd visual experience that evokes the feel of a graphic novel. It seems charged from within by its power as a fable; we sense it’s not interested in a plot so much as with the dilemma of functioning in a world losing hope.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #103 on: March 06, 2009, 05:13:39 PM
What if Watchmen was a Saturday morning cartoon?

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/485797

I consider it a cross between Watchmen, Scooby Doo, TMNT, and Jem and the Holograms.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #104 on: March 07, 2009, 08:46:19 AM
Went to see the movie last night, 2 3/4 hours and I could have sat for much longer, thought it was brilliantly put together, the casting was spot on, for me they captured the real feel of the book. Even though they couldn't repeat it scene for scene they recreated some of the key scenes virtually frame for frame, and there were enough nods to the parts that they couldn't use fully to show that they knew the source material well.

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #105 on: March 08, 2009, 08:14:38 PM
I saw watchmen last night and thought it was absolutely awesome. Just a really good time. It didnt even seem that long to me.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #106 on: March 09, 2009, 07:24:18 AM
I find Roger Ebert to be a pretty decent reviewer.  I don't always agree with him, but if he doesn't like something, he blasts it.  You gotta respect that.  In his review he gave Watchmen four stars.

After the revelation of “The Dark Knight,” here is “Watchmen,” another bold exercise in the liberation of the superhero movie. It’s a compelling visceral film — sound, images and characters combined into a decidedly odd visual experience that evokes the feel of a graphic novel. It seems charged from within by its power as a fable; we sense it’s not interested in a plot so much as with the dilemma of functioning in a world losing hope.

Ebert's not especially well known over here but everything I've seen of his has impressed me.  That quote is no exception. 

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #107 on: May 06, 2009, 01:58:02 AM
I'm surprised this threaded faded away since the movie came out.

I just got around to seeing it, and thought it was fantastic.  I'm sure Alan Moore could come up with a hundred legitimate reasons why it was awful, but I can't.  Maybe it's because I was younger and dopier when I read the book (I resisted the temptation to read it again before seeing the movie), but the characters really jumped out for me in the movie and gave me a better appreciation for the book.

Was it financially successful?  I could see how the studio would expect it to be based on the success of Heroes and Dark Night, but I could also see how audiences wouldn't like it based on the darkness, unfamiliar characters, and complete moral uncertainty.  I think audiences are more sophisticated than most do, but when you see a superhero movie you go in with certain expectations that Watchmen doesn't fulfill.

Overall, I'm with Ebert.  Four stars. 

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #108 on: July 30, 2009, 03:22:32 AM
Finally watched this; came from Netflix in today's mail.

The ending doesn't work for me.  I can't see [what was used] being anywhere near as effective in uniting the world as the "alien" monster that Veidt invented and dropped on New York City in the book.  It just doesn't make sense.

That aside, I'm impressed with how well the rest was done, particularly the adventures of Rorschach behind bars (my favorite part of the book).

Three stars out of five, and I'm being generous (was almost inclined to give it a mere two).  If the ending had been done right, it would be four, maybe even 4-1/2.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:46:10 AM by stePH »

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising