Author Topic: The Time Engine  (Read 3463 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
on: July 28, 2008, 07:14:04 PM
Sean McMullen continues the fun, adventurous Moonworlds saga with the fourth book, "The Time Engine".  Watch for white text, which may contain spoilers.

In the last book, we lived through the eyes of Danolarian, the son of the man who used Silverdeath to destroy the continent of Torea.  At the end, Danol met his future self.

Or so he thought.

The Time Engine starts slowly, and not really interestingly, in my opinion.  But it gets good fast.  McMullen takes the world of Verral and advances it about 1000 years, making a lot of really funny plays on the culture of responsibility and litigiousness.  But then we have paradoxes (on purpose).  Then we meet the Gods of the Moonworlds again.  And of course our favorite ferrygirl.  It gets pretty crazy for a while, and then when Danol figures it all out... well... I was a little let down at first.

But in true McMullen style, everything is paid off, and the ending is quite enjoyable.

If you haven't read the McMullen books before, don't start with this one, but if you've read the others -- especially Voidfarer -- then this one is pretty good.  I look forward to the next adventure, which hopefully will focus on some new characters or at least not just on Danol again.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42