Author Topic: Film Poll Semifinals 2 at World's End  (Read 13505 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: July 30, 2008, 10:09:15 PM
We're almost at the final, folks!  On one side, we have Star Wars... and on the other: the film that wins this week's poll.  Raiders took down Blade Runner, and Princess Bride devastated the Matrix.  Both are great films, and obviously wildly popular with our little geek demographic.  And like all things democratic, this is just a popularity contest.   ;D

The final itself will be posted in about two weeks, and voting on it will last a few weeks so no one gets left out.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 11:16:12 PM by Ocicat »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:12:04 PM
It's not the years, baby, it's the Raiders.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 01:54:42 AM
Both among my favorites, but gotta go with Indy.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 03:01:37 AM

I loved Raiders, but asked my spouse how I should vote.  After that I could only say, "As you wish..."  ;D

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 08:50:14 AM
Hallo. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die.

eytanz

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 08:55:35 AM
Oh, these are getting painful. But I'll go with the movie I've seen 50+ times and still would be happy to see again, vs. the movie I've seen maybe 15 times and would be happy to see again. Princess Bride it is.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 11:49:10 AM
These are getting difficult. Turn out though, that if I'd gone for Princess Bride, it would have been tied 7-7.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 12:48:21 PM
INDY IS AHEAD? INCONCEIVABLE!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 03:30:59 PM
Indy!  I love you!

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 04:39:06 PM
Indy!  I love you!
But we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth!

Oh, wait. That was a different film. Never mind.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 06:24:09 PM
Indy!  I love you!
But we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth!

Oh, wait. That was a different film. Never mind.

How can you mistake Indy for any other film?  There is only one Indy film.  Seriously, there is really only one.  The others are knock-offs made in China.  I'm surprised no one every notice that wasn't Harrison Ford in the other movies.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 06:30:19 PM
Raiders no contest

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Russell Nash

Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 06:32:46 PM
This is the first film to even give PB a little bit of a run for its money.  Even Raiders had a tougher time than PB in every poll IIRC.

eytanz

Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 06:54:09 PM
This is the first film to even give PB a little bit of a run for its money.  Even Raiders had a tougher time than PB in every poll IIRC.

These polls depends a lot on the competition involved. And part of the problem is that - at least for me, but I believe for many people - these decisions aren't always transitive.

For example, in the previous poll, I voted for Star Wars over Empire Strikes Back. If there was another poll were I was comparing, say, Empire Strikes Back to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, I'd vote for Empire. But if I were asked to vote between Star Wars and Holy Grail, I'm pretty sure I'd vote for Grail.

And I think each of those preferences make perfect sense, though when you try to see what the overall result is, you run into a bit of a problem.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 08:23:00 PM

These polls depends a lot on the competition involved. And part of the problem is that - at least for me, but I believe for many people - these decisions aren't always transitive.

For example, in the previous poll, I voted for Star Wars over Empire Strikes Back. If there was another poll were I was comparing, say, Empire Strikes Back to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, I'd vote for Empire. But if I were asked to vote between Star Wars and Holy Grail, I'm pretty sure I'd vote for Grail.

And I think each of those preferences make perfect sense, though when you try to see what the overall result is, you run into a bit of a problem.

So you are saying you can't rank these three films in order from best to worst (or least good)?

Russell Nash

Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 11:15:04 PM

I was just having fun with the paradox.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 04:38:22 AM
I do love a good paradox...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/W7lEunJvRUU&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/W7lEunJvRUU&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Geeky notes: Yes, that's probably who you think it is ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363891/ ); and note the tie-in to the pirate theme?  :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:43:47 AM by Tango Alpha Delta »

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 08:46:07 PM
Princess Bride: awesome words.  Raiders: awesome images.  I love clever writing as much as the next geek but it's a film poll, not a poetry contest, so I've got to go with the images.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 06:40:46 PM

like when he matched up Fight Club to i think it was Star Wars. that was unfair.
however either way, in the end anything would be eventually paired up with something else that will overpower it.  Had lets say Fight Club gone on, it would have eventually lost to Star Wars at some point.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 07:43:37 PM
Still only 22 voters, which is pretty light for these polls.

Are folks frozen by indecision, or what?  At the moment it looks like we're headed for an all Lucas/Ford final, but it's still very close!

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 09:01:07 PM
This is an evil poll.  Indy made me wanna be an ultra cool school teaching treasure hunter.  Princess Bride made me quote it and wanna be a (a) Pirate so I could wear a cool mask. (b) princess so I could bag a guy like Cary Elwass. (c) revenge hungry Spaniard... so I could tlak like a revenge hungry Sapniard. Princess wins.. but narrowly.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Russell Nash

Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 09:08:10 PM
What happens if we get a tie?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 09:09:38 PM

I'd propose a three way final.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 09:43:47 PM

If we get a tie, I'd been planning on nullifying my own personal vote.