Author Topic: EP169: How I Mounted Goldie, Saved My Partner Lori, and Sniffed Out The People’s  (Read 71997 times)

geekysteven

• Extern
This story was fun. It must have made an ample impression on me, as I usually fall asleep at the mere mention of a cop story. Officer Bull was an awesome character, even though Lori was the real star.

Sylvan

• Palmer
    • The Darken Hollow
Ruh-roh, Raggy:  they're ralking about REX!

That was a GREAT tale; very fun and very engaging!

Yours,
Sylvan (Dave)

Void Munashii

• Matross
  • twitter.com/VOIDMunashii
    • Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse
Ruh-roh, Raggy:  they're ralking about REX!

NO! Now I'm hearing the story in my head with Steve doing a Scooby voice!

"Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse"
http://mallvillestory.blogspot.com

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
I'm so far behind in my EP episodes that I find that people have already said most of what I want to say.

That was a fun episode, fun-excited-bouncy Steve Eley for the win!

roshy

• Extern
This was my first time listening to a podcast with Steve Eley providing narration. I'm sorry to say that within seconds of beginning, I decided that his voice acting was ridiculous, very distracting, and that I would enjoy the story much better if I just imagined that his character was a dog.

You can imagine my surprise and delight when the penny dropped!  ;D

I have since listened to many more podcasts and am being blown away by the consistent high quality of narration. But this one in particular is one of my favourites, for both the voice acting and the actual story.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
This was my first time listening to a podcast with Steve Eley providing narration.

Haven't been listening to Escape Pod long, have you?  ;)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

netwiz

• Extern
Loved it

TristanPEJ

• Extern
  • Keep on Rocking the V-World
    • The Universe of Tristan
Escape Pod Sci-Fi Literature Entertainment Everything needs more wonder-dogs

www.TristanPEJ.com
The Universe of Tristan:
News and stories from around the world

mudguts

• Extern
    • Blog Allo!
Loved it !  it prompted me to put a tinfoil hat on my bluetick coonhound, Pepper, and tie a walkie talkie around her neck.

She wasn't as thrilled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Free Blogs, Free Hosting, Free domain name
http://www.BlogAllo.com

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Loved it !  it prompted me to put a tinfoil hat on my bluetick coonhound, Pepper, and tie a walkie talkie around her neck.

She wasn't as thrilled.

A belly rub and a dog biscuit and all is forgiven.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog

I'm thinking this needs a movie. Or maybe a series on the scifi network. Or at least an afterschool special.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to

I'm thinking this needs a movie. Or maybe a series on the scifi network. Or at least an afterschool special.

An afterschool special with barklike repetitions of "fuck" at about thirty second intervals?  I'm all about it!  Tell me when it comes on.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Ray Shaw

• Extern
I've been listening to Escape Pod since episode 20, but this is the first episode I've really felt compelled to respond to.  I wish I wasn't behind on listening (I took a month hiatus from EP to listen to some Audible books), because so many others had the same feelings about this as I do and I don't want to sound like a "me too" commenter.   But I'll take a chance on Steve getting a swelled head and say this:  I think this was possibly the best reading of any story EP has presented so far.   Outstanding vocal acting by Steve.  Quite often I will find and read the printed version if I like a story, but this is one story that I would never be able to enjoy reading silently.  Steve, you OWN the voice of Bull, and I would REALLY, REALLY LIKE IT if we could hear more about Bull and Lori.   

heyes

• Peltast
    • The Returning
This story was genius!  The voice acting really sold the story.  I totally bought the portrayal of the main character, and the phrase "skull-top" was such a funny, if dark, projection.  This is the story that kept me fighting with iTunes (which at the time never wanted to let escapepod update) to maintain my subscription.  This is also the lead out story in my "Favorite Audio Dramas" Cd I'm making to get several of my friends hooked.

"Feed me Seymour!"
     -Audry II
"You were not put on the Earth to get it, Mr. Burton"
     - Lo Pan

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Okay, for those who wanted it, the here's the raw session recording.
Heh. Just finished listening to that version the other day. It doesn't get old.

Oh, btw, it wasn't a typo:
subornation
English
Noun
1. The act of suborning
2. The procuring of someone to do a criminal act, especially to commit perjury
Retrieved from http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/subornation

I gather you use the clicker so you can hear start and stop points?
Better than than. You can see them. It produces a distinctive pair of spikes in the waveform when you scroll through a track in an audio editor, even when you're zoomed out.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
I gather you use the clicker so you can hear start and stop points?
Better than than. You can see them. It produces a distinctive pair of spikes in the waveform when you scroll through a track in an audio editor, even when you're zoomed out.

Indeed. I see them a lot when recording people who pop their Ps.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Indeed. I see them a lot when recording people who pop their Ps.

A simple device fabricated from a sheer nylon stocking and a piece of wire garment hanger can put paid to that particular problem.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

crem8d_boogaloo

• Extern
Great story. Great story.  I loved it, my two golden retrievers loved it (though they immediately demanded cerebrally implanted supercomputer-the older one said he'll give me a quantum dot processor if I give him thumbs; still working on it).  Kudos and a milk-bone to the author.

Russell Nash

The posts about EP's Hugo designation have been moved here.

McToad

• Extern
Good story, great reading.  This is why I listen to EP.

McToad

Nothing is impossible,
  but few things are probable.

AndrewRiot

• Extern
Someone know if I can find this story transcripts somewhere? :D

Finally! I found it!

Edit:
http://www.sullydog.com/sullysites/fiction/shaggyfull.htm :)

If everyone has any other transcript of escapepod stories... I'd be really grateful if he could send it to me!

My mail is:
londeau (at) gmail.com

PodCastle and PseudoPod stories are really appreciated too!!!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:25:20 PM by AndrewRiot »

Jago Constantine

• Extern
    • Science Fiction Discussion
Very short notice ... but if anyone is in Second Life in 30 minutes we're listening to this story in the Science Fiction Saturday meeting this week (2pm PST).

Edit: had about 15 people turn up to listen to this story and everyone loved it!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 11:05:39 PM by Jago Constantine »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots

Heh, Yuna. Nice one. I still wish I could get back the 40 hours I devoted to that game.

Which? FFX or FFX2?  Because X2 got really tiresome really fast, but X is still my second-favorite FF after VII.

FFX was one of my favorites, some good twists and turns, an experience building system that required preplanning and wasn't just the usual "collect experience points, repeat".  Fun characters, customizable equipment by combining equipment with weapons.  I made my own accessory in that game that allowed the spellcaster woman (I forget her name) to cast Flare twice in a single turn with x2 multiplier, all for the MP cost of 4! 

Ah, those were the days.  Anyway, on to the actual story!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Loved it!

Steve does a GREAT dog voice.  He sounds very similar to Dug in Pixar's UP.  Or I should say that Dug sounds like him, since this story pre-dated the release of that movie.  "I don't know you, but I love you!"  If I hadn't had that association, I probably would've pictured Bull as a German Shepherd, but I pictured him as Dug.  Seriously, if they ever make an UP sequel and the original Dug voice actor gets sick, they should give you a call.

I'm definitely a dog person, so there wasn't much chance I'd dislike this story.  The title would've sucked, coming from anyone but a dog.  But it shows his enthusiasm, his priorities, gives a hint that he's a cop, gives a quick synopsis, and sets up the tone of the story all in one.  Likewise the constant profanity would've been annoying from anyone but this character.  His partner wanted him to use the word, so he does, all the time, regardless of its appropriateness like a kid showing off his shiny new knowledge.  I loved the loyalty and the enthusiasm he showed about everything.

The comment at the end about the Marx story was great.  Did Ragtime ever submit a story to EP?  I hope he does, that one itself was pretty much a kickass flash story as-is.

I thought the name Terry Stringer could have been more subtle, but that's really my only quibble, and so minor that it's only worth mentioning to show that that's really all I could find to complain about.

And, since someone set the precedence of posting a dog picture, I'm going to have to go dig out one of my three pups.  Back soon...

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Can anyone tell me how to post an image?  I tried clicking on the "Insert Image" and it gave me a couple HTML tags.  But what do I do with the tags--put a web address of the picture between them?