Escape Artists
April 21, 2018, 02:55:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP160: Kallakak’s Cousins  (Read 15558 times)
goatkeeper
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 03:29:50 PM »

I felt like it would have worked better as a TV show. It felt like it was filled with sight gags, and some of the drags in the action could be corrected by fantastic scenery.

I agree- this did seem like an episode out of a sitcom.  I enjoyed this story very much and great read.
Archie
Extern

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2008, 07:41:24 AM »

Sorry but I thought this was terrible. Dull, pointless and such an obvious ending it was painful. I would have turned it off half way through except I had a vague amount of curiousity over whether he got to keep his shop or not.

Dire.
csrster
Palmer

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 08:04:50 AM »

I found this one thoroughly and enjoyably old-fashioned - from back in the days before SF became "genre literature".
It read like the kind of thing that used to crop up in those crumbling old 1970s paperback sf anthologies I used to
borrow from the local library when I was a kid.
CollSwan
Extern

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2008, 10:15:09 AM »

Was anyone else picturing ST: Deep Space 9 and Kallakak & his cousins as a furry & webbed version of a Ferengi?

Maybe I should've had a 2nd cup of coffee before plugging it in during my commute...
Russell Nash
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2008, 01:25:24 PM »

Was anyone else picturing ST: Deep Space 9 and Kallakak & his cousins as a furry & webbed version of a Ferengi?

Maybe I should've had a 2nd cup of coffee before plugging it in during my commute...

Several differnet space stations went through my head.  All of the ones that were portrayed as being a bit run down were mashed together in my head.  A little DS9, a little B5, even a little Crescent.
Atara
Extern

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2008, 10:47:01 AM »

This was one of the episodes we saved up for our cross-country road trip, and we enjoyed it. Yes, it was fluffy, but it was an enjoyable fluffy.

Although, after the story, we speculated a bit over the physiological characteristics of the alien species, because we're nerds like that.
Myrealana
Peltast

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2008, 03:06:24 PM »

Cute. I liked it. Not the best Escape Pod of all time, but certainly entertaining - like an episode of "Welcome Back Kotter" -- the students get him into various embarrassing situations and then accidentally get him out of trouble in the end.

Pretty stock stuff, but it's stock because it works.

More of a B5 in my mind, but yeah.

Actually, I thought that kind of helped with the story.

"You don't fix faith. Faith fixes you." - Shepherd Book
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2010, 12:55:02 PM »

I didn't finish this one. It sounds like those who liked it thought it was light and funny, but I must've missed something because it didn't make me laugh and I didn't find it at all light--it was about an oppressive government with constantly shifting laws so that no one can ever be aware whether they're breaking the law or not to the point that business owners can have their shop stolen right from under them without the slightest warning.  That's depressing.  The idea of the constantly shifting laws was interesting by itself, but the story wasn't compelling enough to make me want to hear the rest.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: