Author Topic: Film Poll: The Final Battle!  (Read 16960 times)

Russell Nash

Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 08:39:50 AM
The other thing that still impresses me about it is the "used future" look, something he let go of in the newer movies. 

I was at the train station the other day and I watched one of these super-fast euro-trains come in.  It was a rainy, crummy day.  The train was streaked with dirty water and looked horrible.  the only thing I could think about was the "used future" look from SW.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 07:49:18 AM
Annnnd that's it! 

Star Wars wins the Escape Artist's Favorite Film Award!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 06:58:00 PM
yay.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 01:45:47 PM

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 02:35:35 PM
the award ceremony

Holy living f**k Harrison Ford was young back then.

No medal for Chewie?  I thought I remembered Chewie getting a medal too.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 02:47:11 PM
and i remembered a free spirited Carrie Fisher bouncing with excitement.
might be one of the many other versions of the movie.

edit: ever see the Kurt Russell audition? there's a version may have been
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 02:51:37 PM by deflective »

eytanz

Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 03:56:17 PM
(quietly, beneath my breath:) boo

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 03:55:50 PM
the award ceremony

Holy living f**k Harrison Ford was young back then.

No medal for Chewie?  I thought I remembered Chewie getting a medal too.
Chewie is just a squire. It's only the knights who get the medals.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 11:01:02 PM
Chewie is just a squire. It's only the knights who get the medals.

Some would say that Chewie was in charge of the whole rebellion.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 11:31:03 PM

Possibly the most brilliant piece of film analysis ever.  Or at least... damn funny.  Always knew there was more going on with R2 than his beeps and bloops let on.

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 08:40:26 PM

Inspired.  I think I might actually enjoy watching Star Wars again if I remember that this is going on in the background.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 03:00:57 PM
Pah. The whole thing falls apart when you remember that Yoda was working with Palpatine to destroy the Republic.

It was Yoda who sent the Jedi knights (the double-0's of Star Wars) into a stand-up battle where they all got slaughtered. Only Mace Windu disobeyed to do the sneaky thing Jedi are so good at, and almost won the whole battle right there. If only someone had gone with him, it might all have been different.

Then, at just that moment, it turns out that there's a new army the Republic can use, to replace the one Yoda just threw away. And the people who built that army seem to think that it was Yoda who commissioned it. Which happened on a planet that someone managed to delete from the Jedi archives. You think they let Palpatine go snooping around in there?

Obi-Wan (the only other Jedi to survive the meat grinder, who relied on Yoda more and more after Qi-Gonn's death) hides Anakin's son in a fiendishly clever place: Anakin's home town of Mos Espa, Tattouine. In the care of Anakin's brother (half-brother, I suppose), Owen Skywalker. With everyone knowing that he's Anakin's son. Hardly an attempt to keep him safe, I'm sure you'll agree.

And then he (and Yoda, later) continually lies to Luke about the relationship between Vader and Anakin. Which gives Vader the perfect opening when the truth is sprung on him in the middle of battle. Leah was just a girl, and therefore could be more easily ignored.

Once Obi-Wan dies, and the rebellion begins in earnest, Yoda summons Luke to him to keep the one force-sensitive person around out of the field of battle under the guise of training him. Again, he lies to Luke about his ability in an attempt to keep him away from Bespin. Because without Luke, the rebellion would have been crushed there, and the Galactic Empire could have continued unopposed.

It's also interesting to note what happens to the Jedi conspirators when they die: Unlike any of the other Jedi we see (such as Qi-Gonn), their bodies just disappear and they become part of The Force. Palpatine doesn't seem to know this trick, though he offers to teach it to Anakin, to win him over. Is this some secret teaching Yoda discovered to prevent his Jedi agents being uncovered in compromising situations? It wouldn't do, after all, if the Jedi Council found out that Jango Fett had been acting as Yoda's catspaw on Kamino.

Science means that not all dreams can come true