Author Topic: Seriously ... WTF?  (Read 4328 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
on: August 14, 2008, 05:11:58 PM
Two years ago, Neil Gaiman's "How to Talk to Girls at Parties" was the one Hugo nominee that Escape Pod couldn't secure for the show.

Clonepod ran it last month.

:-\  ???  :-\

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 05:31:56 PM
That is crazy.  I remember being really bummed when that story never ran here, so I remember the following discussion, found here:

From Steve Eley
Quote from: eytanz on May 07, 2008, 02:06:40 PM
This is only conjecture, but the hugo nominations came out very shortly after the audiobook version of Fragile Things came out, so I always thought that it's not so much that Gaiman said no, as that he didn't own the audio distribution rights. He could probably persuade his publishers to allow an excerpt from the audiobook to be released for free, but allowing a different company to make a second recording would probably have been too much for them.

Your conjecture is close to correct.  To be specific, I contacted Gaiman's agent, who referred me to his publisher, who held the audio rights on that story.  The publisher was actually willing to let us run the story -- for one year, after which point we'd have to renew rights with them or pull it from our archives.

I will never distribute a story on any terms other than Creative Commons, so this was a deal-breaker for me.  As was pointed out, the audio was already available for free on Gaiman's site, so the world didn't miss much by not having it here.

BTW, it was a similar story in 2006, with Margo Lanagan's "Singing My Sister Down."  Margo was very happy to say yes for her part, but her publisher in Australia had the audio rights, and they never returned my e-mail.  It seems that every year we get 4 out of 5, but please don't blame the authors the last couple of years.

(In fact, now that I think about it, Stephen Baxter is the first author who's ever turned down an offer we've made.)

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 06:38:33 PM
I guess Clonepod didn't have a problem with the restrictions.

The Dunesteef

• Palmer
    • The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 06:42:37 PM
Or maybe the restrictions are no longer necessary two years later.

Has it really been two years...gosh I'm getting old fast.

Check out some great stories at The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 06:44:47 PM
Or maybe the restrictions are no longer necessary two years later.

Has it really been two years...gosh I'm getting old fast.

It's only been a year and a few months, but you're showing the miles.

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 12:18:50 PM
That story was Hugo nominated? I didn't think too much of it myself...

It's possible that the author just changed his mind, or an agent did it for him.