Author Topic: Must-listen podcast novel (s)  (Read 10696 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: August 15, 2008, 01:50:44 AM
I'm in the middle of 'Double Share' by Nathan Lowell right now and let me say.. wow. This is the fourth in an ongoing series, and by far and away the best. Its literary (audio?) crack, I have been listening all day long and I know I'm going to finish it tonight.

The series is a bit odd in that, I can see now that I've started the fourth, the first three are basically character development. They're totally engrossing too, don't get me wrong. Amazingly so, actually, considering virtually nothing happens. I was surprised in retrospect to think about how much fun they were with so little action. Guess I could chalk that up to damned good writing and character development. (mostly. The writer has a few quirks and overabuses a phrase here and there.Towards the end of the third book, the phrase "are you ok?" comes up at LEAST 2 times every chapter. Also, the lead character gets a bit irritatingly perfect at times. But those things are more than made up for by the rest of it, IMHO).

I was a little reluctant to try out this series at the start, as the initial description on podiobooks didn't interest me at all. The story itself surprised me though. Its so much better than the description seems to imply.

I just wanted to give it a recommendation here for any of you looking for something to listen to. Even if you find the first three a bit slow because of the lack of action, bear with it to get to the AWESOMENESS that is Double Share. I swear he gets better with every book. He's really hit his stride with this one. Can't wait for more and I havent even finished DS yet.

Sorry to sound like an ad or something, I'm just geeking out. I'm really really loving this, and I want other people to enjoy it as well.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 08:39:29 PM
I enjoyed the "share" stories as well

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:25:01 AM
Thanks for the tip. I listened to all of them in 3 days - even lying in bed at 2am and waking up at 7am and putting my headphones back on (and I am NOT a morning person!) , so I gues I really enjoyed them ;)

The Great N-sh whispers in my ear, and he's talking about you.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 01:25:45 AM
as an aside.. Lowell's "shaman's tale" book is proving a helpful tideover till "captain's share" comes out.

Woops, its called 'South Coast.'
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:15:35 PM by Talia »

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 03:22:26 AM
till "captain's share" comes out.
when will that one be starting? anyone know yet?

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 09:04:23 AM
I had my doubts about "South Coast", being planet-bound and all, but it was almost as enjoyable as the Share series.
Then I went back and listened to all of the Share stories again, even though it was only a few months ago that I started listening to them the first time. Still enjoyable the second time around.

till "captain's share" comes out.
when will that one be starting? anyone know yet?

Nate has a good rapport with his audience.
FWIW, check out this part of thread on the durandus.org/fans forum, dated mid-July/08: http://durandus.org/fans/index.php?topic=45.msg615#msg614 - Re: *SPOILER WARNING* Double Share book discussion
  • Quote from: nlowell
    If I can get my overdue July-Project done .. I'll start Captains Share in August

I have to teach this fall, so I'm not sure how much time I'll have for that.

WORST case, I'll do it in November for NaNoWriMo ... altho I want to do Cape Grace then to fill the hole between South Coast and Half Share.

We'll have to see what comes up between now and then
    Quote from: WNDRwolf
    Over due July project.... Is it Seekrit Project?
    Quote from: nlowell
    Yes, Sekrit Project Alpha 1.

if successful, SPA1 will allow me to become a full time writer.

I *should* have been doing that instead of Double Share, but I *needed* to get Double Share out before my head exploded.
I hope Bev shows up again in Captain's Share. I liked her.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 02:36:22 PM
"altho I want to do Cape Grace then to fill the hole between South Coast and Half Share. "

iiiinteresting. I didn't realize south coast came before half share, for some reason.

And yeah, I was surprised how much South Coast grew/is growing on me (havent finished it yet. Must parcel it out so I don't run out too soon :*). Man can write.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 06:57:19 PM
*spoiler*
Otto is obviously(?) Sarahs father, but is the guy that ish gets the welkies from Richard or someone else?

also having enjoyed all the current stories in that universe does anyone have recommendations on others in a similar vein?

I can recommend shadow magic as another good story
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:59:44 PM by CGFxColONeill »

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 05:30:04 PM
More along the lines of Shadowmagic than any of the Nathan Lowell stories, I'm REALLY enjoying The Prophet of Panamindorah books. Solid writing with engaging characters. Fun.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 03:34:40 AM
I will take a look at those, I was just trying to throw shadow magic out to give people an idea of other things I have enjoyed lol

slothflyer

• Extern
Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 02:24:58 AM
the greg crites dunkin/devlin stories on podiobooks.com are awesome.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 08:25:07 PM
Mur's Heaven novels are awesome too :)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 10:05:13 PM
I was totally blown away with the first novel.  Nothing happened.  Nothing of note happened in the entire novel yet it was like a drug I really loved it. His reading was excellent and the characters came to life and lived out their lives in my minds eye.

I went straight onto book two.  I thought that kinda sucked.  The reading was excellent, the new quarter share theme held my interest, then that was just dropped as they went shopping and it got crappy.

What happened.  At the moment I'm not planning on trying the third book.  Can you convince me to try it?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 06:42:53 PM
I donno, I liked book and book three. At the very least, read book three so you can read book four. Double share is AMAZING. and stuff ACTUALLY HAPPENS. Its a complete departure in terms of plot pacing and its just so much fun.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 04:14:47 AM
"altho I want to do Cape Grace then to fill the hole between South Coast and Half Share. "

iiiinteresting. I didn't realize south coast came before half share, for some reason.
See http://solarclipper.com/shamans-tales/
In South Coast, the first book of Shaman’s Tales, we meet the boy who will grow up to be Sarah Krugg’s father.
That's Messman Apprentice Sarah Krugg, who signs on with the Lois McKendrick in Half Share, and explains to the crew some of the significance of the whelkies.

After the Share series, my favourite audio novel is Bill DeSmedt's Singularity (more of a techno-thriller), followed by Paul S. Jenkins' The Plitone Revisionist (more of a space opera).

I feed The Pod.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 03:37:46 AM
I finished Fried Green Zombies a while ago, and it was quite entertaining.

I feed The Pod.

davedoty

• Peltast
Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 04:38:49 AM
I went straight onto book two [of the SHARE series].  I thought that kinda sucked.  The reading was excellent, the new quarter share theme held my interest, then that was just dropped as they went shopping and it got crappy.

Had to quote this older post because it captured my feelings perfectly.

As for Heaven, Mur's voice was the only thing that got me through book 1, which was otherwise a little long for me.  If book 1 was long, I can't imagine making it through an entire 5 volume stretch.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 04:10:59 AM
Yay.
Eps 1-5 of Captain's Share is available.
http://podiobooks.com/title/captains-share

I feed The Pod.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 12:43:50 PM
AHHHHHH!

Must not listen right now. Must not destroy work productivity.

*twitch, twitch*

Jagash

• Palmer
    • Genesis of Legend Publishing
Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 11:14:14 AM
Predestination and other Games of Chance by J.D. Sawyer
(www.jdsawyer.net or podiobooks)

This beautiful story is set in a relatively near future, with humanity stepping out into our solar system. Two space stations, the Moon and Mars are all that humanity has grasped among the stars at this point in time. It is character-driven hard SF, beautifully rich in linguistic polish, historical depth and stunning presentation.  Book one of a 5 book series and well worth a listen.

There were two summary descriptions floating around for the book.

Description 1: Bladerunner meets the Maltese Falcon

Description 2: George R.R. Martin writes the american revolution in space.

I heartily recommend.

Sleep is for the weak due to sleep deprivation.