Author Topic: My first published story  (Read 7934 times)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
on: August 16, 2008, 03:46:27 PM
Pardon the "Podcast Pedantry" self-promotion, but...

I recently sold my first story.  This is not a big deal on a cosmic scale, but makes me feel pretty good.  And that pretty good feeling is largely thanks to this community here.

The story is "Silver", and is up this week on the Dunesteef audio fiction magazine.  It came about (as you'll hear in the outro) because of a thread Roney started in the Writing Group, and I was pleased that they let me plug Escape Artists on their show.

Hope you enjoy it, and if life settles down a bit, I hope to spend some more time in here enjoying the genres along with you.

Cheers!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 01:28:03 AM
Congrats!

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

The Dunesteef

• Palmer
    • The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 03:19:07 AM
Yeah, nice work, man.

Check out some great stories at The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 04:14:17 AM
Congratulations!

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

eytanz

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 08:02:49 AM
Congratulations! I listened to the episode (though I read the story previously in the crit board) and thought it got a very nice production.

The dunesteef seems like a good podcast - I'm currently saturated on short fiction podcasts, but if ever I decide to add more to my listening routine, I'll definitely consider it.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:30:50 PM
congrats

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 02:51:40 AM
Way to go, man!

errant371

• Palmer
  • I for one welcome our new isopod overlords.
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 01:43:34 PM
Congratulations!  Must feel good!

What part of 'Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn' didn't you understand?

Myrealana

• Peltast
    • Bad Foodie
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 07:01:59 PM
Congratulations!

"You don't fix faith. Faith fixes you." - Shepherd Book

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 05:53:32 PM
Congrats, again, man!  I'm looking forward to listening to it.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 06:21:26 PM
Listened this morning.  I feel like some of it has changed.  I almost feel like it's in a slightly-different world, where there might be more magic than there is here.  I mean, yeah, unicorns, so there is, but you know what I mean.

Didn't care for the western music selection, but I'm pretty sure you had nothing to do with that.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

The Dunesteef

• Palmer
    • The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine
Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 03:07:39 AM
Didn't care for the western music selection, but I'm pretty sure you had nothing to do with that.

Nope, that was my fault.  I didn't think of it as western, just acoustic guitar, but maybe I missed the mark on that.  Music selection is difficult to get exactly right.

Check out some great stories at The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 10:23:32 AM

Nope, that was my fault.  I didn't think of it as western, just acoustic guitar, but maybe I missed the mark on that.  Music selection is difficult to get exactly right.

I thought the music was fine... it was low-key, repetitive, and slightly folk-y; to my ear, not western at all.

Unless you were objecting that it was too Western, in which case, I would think sitars and tablas would have been out of place, too.  ;)

Since it was nominally set in Germany, perhaps a lovely polka... or David Hasselhoff piece?

(Full disclosure: I actually *like* a bit of polka... the Hasselhoff remark is just a cruel bit of taunting.)

Russell Nash

Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 10:37:46 AM

I thought the music was fine... it was low-key, repetitive, and slightly folk-y; to my ear, not western at all.

Unless you were objecting that it was too Western, in which case, I would think sitars and tablas would have been out of place, too.  ;)

Since it was nominally set in Germany, perhaps a lovely polka... or David Hasselhoff piece?

(Full disclosure: I actually *like* a bit of polka... the Hasselhoff remark is just a cruel bit of taunting.)

I take this moment to allow the rest of Germany to separate itself from Bavaria.  We hate Polka too.

Hasselhoff on the other hand…

Edited for comprehension
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:05:00 AM by Russell Nash »

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 12:46:27 PM

I listened to it last night.  I think they did a nice job on the production -- the guitar worked fine for me, and I thought the reader had a great voice for this particular piece.  That last was somewhat surprising, because when I read it in the Crit Group, I distinctly pictured the narrator as male, and I generally don't take those kinds of switches well.

In any case, congratulations and good job!!

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 09:49:16 PM
Finally listened to the Dunesteef production of your story TAD and I quite enjoyed it.  Congratulations again on getting something published!

The narrator did a lot to ameliorate the accusatory tone it had in my head. 

So woo!  Go, you!  High-five!

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 09:02:01 PM
I recently sold my first story.

Congratulations!  And what a beauty it was: dense with images and ideas, but a character study at heart.  Bravo!  I particularly liked the equation of "virginal" with "not old and cunning", which makes sense of a slightly odd Fantasy trope.

It came about (as you'll hear in the outro) because of a thread Roney started in the Writing Group

I don't know if I can make this clear enough: I never intended those exercise ideas to be taken seriously!  They were chosen (although that's a rather grand word for the process...) to be not so much intriguing and challenging as pointless and unappealing.  (I was curious to know how many people would be interested even if it sounded like hard work).  There are reasons why second person is shunned and unicorn stories are mostly written by pre-teen girls. :)

To me it seems like one of those marvellous quirks of the universe that someone could take not just one but all three of them and fashion a story worth listening to.  If anyone other forum readers have creative gifts that are just waiting to be unleashed on an improbable combination of story meta-tags... well, I could probably set up a web page to generate them at random...

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 10:09:31 PM

It came about (as you'll hear in the outro) because of a thread Roney started in the Writing Group

I don't know if I can make this clear enough: I never intended those exercise ideas to be taken seriously! 

I know!  That's what is so magical about it! ;)  I tend to think we all do our best work when we're not really trying to do our best work.