Author Topic: Lazy writer in training  (Read 10729 times)

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
on: August 25, 2008, 06:44:41 PM
Here's the stories in progress. Nothing ready for submission 'cause I'm lazy and get distracted easily. I need motivation! So, hopefully sharing with you folk will give me the drive to put feet on some of these stories.

Gut instinct: My PI with a twist short story. Still in mapping. I'm having difficulty with terminology- "cop speak"

Riders of the storm: My tall tale! This is very nearly finished and I'm deciding on an ending. I'm worried the twang of my POV guys voice will overwhelm the tale itself, but it's fun to write.

Trepidation: My Horror novel in progress. I've been working on this darn thing for 10 years off and on. It's hard to get in the mindset of these people, and scary. I keep dropping it, picking it back up, adding, and subtracting. I honestly don't know if it'll EVER get finished.

Embellish: I just started this little fantasy frivolity. We'll see where it'll go.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 10:25:16 PM
Good luck all around!

It took me so long to feel like I might actually finish the novel I'm working on now.  Seriously, years.  But it is do-able. 

I'm looking forward to hearing more about all your stories.

Zathras

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 12:26:36 AM
So, how goes your writing?

You wanted some accountability, I'm glad to provide it.  Feel free to return the favor some time.   ;D

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:14:16 AM
Z- not so hot at the moment. I'm taking some collage classes and putting together paperwork so the hubs can try to drag us- his family- along on a long term trip to Korea.  So, my word count at this point is less then 100 a week. I'm a bad girl.

Thanks for the check up though! I'll definatly repay the favor!

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.

Zathras

Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 02:41:30 PM
Two year tour?

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 04:40:03 PM
two with a potential of 3 or more if we end up going the command sponsered route. We're also trying for a follow on to Germany (That'd be soo cool)
Going to Korea would actually help with the writing, because I respond best to weirdness in my world, it inspires me.

Zathras

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 06:13:36 PM
I spent a year over there, at Camp Stanley.  It was... different.  The biggest problem is getting used to the fact that it smells different.  Especially in the summer.   >:(

I was over there from 94 to 95, so I have no idea what to tell you to expect.  Be sure to go to Seoul and check out the mall that has an ice skating rink and an amusement park inside!!!!

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 01:05:02 AM
We'd be in Osan- and A-yup I've heard about that. That and quite a few other stange things Seol has to offer.  My sister and her Sweetheart were both in the army- and got sent over there. She;s given me pretty much the same fedback I'm hearing everywhere. It smells weird. There's this cold/flu thing that's lovingly referred to as the Korean crud that comes aout seasonally and there's the whol being a strange obviously American citizan in a place that relys on your presence and resents it simultaniously.  Regarless if we get it - and so far he's the only one gaurenteed going - This is the sort of experience that will gaurentee I see the world in ways your avereage tourist misses.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 04:00:37 AM
HEY! I'm back at work! Classes are over until the summer (I took self paced 8 week classes quick,dirty, and I still aced 'em) so I have time to return to my reading and writing. If I don't get crochet hook cramp, or computer brownout I may actually finish something!!!

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 06:21:31 AM
scrapped Embellish. It just wasn't going anywhere. 
Riders of the storm, on hiatus, but I still feel inspiratiion waiting in the wings
Half scrapped gut instinct- I think I need to hit the stacks harder for proper vocab. I'm not giving it up yet though.

Still not angry enough for trepidition- but getting there- dealing with paperwork makes me see red

have written sone truly bad poetry, but I'm nice enough to keep it to myself.

Gallagher

• Extern
Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 03:43:23 AM
I don't know if this is a little late in posting for you but I just had a quick tip on the spot to maybe try if it is possible for getting Cop / PI speak.

Find out about doing a Police ride along where you are or find a PI to brain pick for a day. Active research can be a fun and random experience that sometimes gets writing done in a fierce manner.

"Be Normal and the Crowd Will Accept You.
 Be Deranged and They Will Make You Their Leader."
 (Titus)

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 07:00:59 PM
I don't mind letting a project take as long as it takes. So- the irde along is a great idea. I'm almost afraid of the dissapointment of meeting a real private eye. my poor illusions! After all there's little to no way they'd look like Sam.