Author Topic: Aaaaaaaand... my first day of college is over...  (Read 28629 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: August 26, 2008, 03:37:25 AM
Well, technically it was not my first day of college, I took 2 summer courses here at UF buuut that felt like high school.  This feels like college. :)

just thought I'd share. :)

I also just challenged my entire floor to beat me at Super Smash Bros. for N64... better go practice haha its been a while.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 04:22:04 AM
Well, technically it was not my first day of college, I took 2 summer courses here at UF buuut that felt like high school.  This feels like college. :)

just thought I'd share. :)

I also just challenged my entire floor to beat me at Super Smash Bros. for N64... better go practice haha its been a while.

Good luck and dont forget to sleep
that was my biggest mistake in my first year I averaged about 4 hrs a night and then about 12 to 14 on Saturdays
but that did not work out to well for me grade wise lol

what are you studing anyhow?

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 07:23:40 AM
Don't forget to actually study!  I know, I'm boring, but you don't want to get a couple of months in and realize you're about to fail.

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:43:19 AM
And don't forget to have fun!

And study every once in a while.

And make new friends.

And enjoy!

And don't forget about us, the old people.... Who will be on here when you need us ;P

Ah, the wonderful time of being a young student... ENJOY!!!!

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 05:54:21 PM

Nobody in my dorm could beat me at Mr. Do! (Yeah, I'm old).

Enjoy college, but like his holiness said - don't forget to study.  It sucks trying to dig out from a GPA hole.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 06:18:35 PM

Nobody in my dorm could beat me at Mr. Do! (Yeah, I'm old).

Enjoy college, but like his holiness said - don't forget to study.  It sucks trying to dig out from a GPA hole.

Here's the list of college advice I've gathered over two years— Don't sign up for every extracurricular you can and then complain you have no time to do your homework. If you know your major, become friends with a Junior or Senior in that major so they can help you avoid the professors from hell /professors that never seem to cotton on to the fact that you have other classes. Treat college as an education, not a place to network. I'm not saying don't make friends and get to know people, but don't let it overcome the fact that you're there to learn, because if you don't want to be there to learn you're in the wrong place. As someone that has a major in both camps, there are some truths to the Arts/Science major stereotypes, but there are about as many falsehoods. Try to maintain a regular sleep schedule, it helps in the long run.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:37:18 PM
And don't forget to experiment with drugs!   As they said on South Park, "There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called COLLEGE." ;D 

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 08:42:03 PM
Have fun and learn lots.  It can be the best of experiences!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 01:26:34 AM
ooh joy, i get to experiment with drugs!!!???

I'm taking German, Sociology, Math for Lib Arts majors (low simple math ha), and Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior... tis a biological science.

So far I'm likin all of my classes :)

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 03:42:13 AM

I'm taking German, Sociology, Math for Lib Arts majors (low simple math ha), and Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior... tis a biological science.

Good!!  (About the classes, not the drugs.)  One of the things you learn in college is to ignore people who try to get you to do foolish things.   ::)

As others have said, have a good time, but study.  Trying to pull a spectacular, come-from-behind-recovery is a dramatic story and all, but like most good stories, it sucks if it happens in your actual life. 

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 06:28:55 AM

Warum mochtest du das machen?

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 07:22:56 AM
Well I'm not a big drug taker so I can't comment on that, but Uni is the best time to experiment with just about everything. Have fun and do a lot of stuff you've never considered before.

Hope you like the biology and, when you get to it, remember that memorising Krebs cycle and glycolysis sucks for just about everyone and biochem is actually far more fun than that makes it appear.

The Great N-sh whispers in my ear, and he's talking about you.

cuddlebug

• Peltast
Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 09:59:20 AM

Warum mochtest du das machen?

Ja, genau, warum studierst du Deutsch?

... and why in the blazes aren't you here in England, you could be one of my students, in fact, I work with chapters in my seminars and in one of my modules I have a chapter on Science Fiction, believe it or not.

Russell Nash

Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 12:29:22 PM
Oh yeah, Last important thing.  Always have condoms and use them!!  Otherwise you will end up dead or with a kid.  I don't care who she is, what birth control she claims to be on, or that she claims to be a virgin.  USE THEM!!

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 02:05:32 PM
Oh yeah, Last important thing.  Always have condoms and use them!!  Otherwise you will end up dead or with a kid.  I don't care who she is, what birth control she claims to be on, or that she claims to be a virgin.  USE THEM!!
or you could just wait until you get married for that... just a thought

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 02:15:47 PM
kay soooo i just started German... but are you asking why ive chosen german to study?
If so... I am part German, I hate spanish, I want a language, my friend takes german too and he likes it, and ive always been interested a bit in it. (my last name is Lieberman) :)

umm ive been given the condom advice many times and yes i've taken it to heart

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 02:16:11 PM
ha... hahaha.... hahahahahahahahaha!

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 02:29:35 PM
Good point. When I got married I had to use condoms. My wife didn't take too well to the Pill.

Needless to say, condoms aren't that great if you don't use them. My daughter's pretty happy about the result though.

Russell Nash

Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 02:31:57 PM

That's a good one.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 02:51:57 PM
Good point. When I got married I had to use condoms. My wife didn't take too well to the Pill.

Needless to say, condoms aren't that great if you don't use them. My daughter's pretty happy about the result though.

Vasectomy means never having to say you're sorry.  :)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 03:28:41 PM
That's a good one.
Whoa man, fail rate on those abstinence pledges is only like 70-80%, and have never been shown to be effective in a causation study. Totally an effective method.

Also — since this seems to be turning into an omnibus for college students — STD and AIDS testing is important and usually free for college students, and these days the tests are pretty quick so you don't need to wait for a few weeks.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 07:23:36 PM
*shudder* i am NOT looking forward to the day i need a test.  Ive had a blood test once for a checkup or something... i get squeemish a lot upon seeing my own blood (but not for small things, and not allways, and not only my blood) ... i felt HORRIBLE and id rather not repeat that experience.

eytanz

Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 07:49:30 PM
*shudder* i am NOT looking forward to the day i need a test.  Ive had a blood test once for a checkup or something... i get squeemish a lot upon seeing my own blood (but not for small things, and not allways, and not only my blood) ... i felt HORRIBLE and id rather not repeat that experience.

As a regular blood donor who gets really squeemish at the sight of blood, my advice is - bring a book. It's a lot easier to avoid looking in places you don't want to if you are reading something than if you just try looking away.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 08:08:43 PM
Don't know if this is true or not, and if it is, I don't know if it's true outside of Britain:

One thing I heard when I was at college was that taking an AIDS test could increase your insurance premiums, because clearly you're the kind of person who has reason to be worried about contracting AIDS. Therefore, people recommended giving blood, instead; they'll screen you for various nasty diseases (including AIDS) and you find out without ever having actually sought out a test...

Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Russell Nash

Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 08:19:39 PM
The one thing about college health centers is that you can anonymously take the tests.