Author Topic: Aaaaaaaand... my first day of college is over...  (Read 28631 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #50 on: October 08, 2008, 01:51:49 PM
and now i can get tried as an adult for any stupid shit i do!  I'm 18 today!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #51 on: October 08, 2008, 01:54:25 PM

And you get to vote in the exciting upcoming election! I hope you are watching the debates and educating yourself so that you can make an informed decision. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #52 on: October 08, 2008, 01:55:34 PM
That's the most exciting part! :)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #53 on: October 08, 2008, 03:11:33 PM

Happy birthday & happy voting.

Man, I feel old.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #54 on: October 08, 2008, 03:34:55 PM
Happy birthday, man. Thanks for making me feel like an old fart.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #55 on: October 08, 2008, 03:59:06 PM
:) no problem

Zathras

Reply #56 on: October 08, 2008, 04:18:19 PM
Happy birthday.

Vote.  Unless you're voting for the other candidate.  Just kidding, get out and vote!

Russell Nash

Reply #57 on: October 08, 2008, 05:08:41 PM
You're in a swing state.  Unlike most of us, your vote counts for something.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #58 on: October 08, 2008, 05:49:01 PM
You're in a swing state.  Unlike most of us, your vote counts for something.

How's Berlin polling right now?

Seriously though,

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Russell Nash

Reply #59 on: October 08, 2008, 06:06:58 PM
Got my New Jersey ballot yesterday and mailed it in today.  It doesn't matter.  Obama has a very comfortable lead in NJ.

Berlin is polling 86% Obama 11% McCain. 

Every German I know has been making sure I was going to vote for the last six months.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #60 on: October 08, 2008, 07:21:53 PM
Got my New Jersey ballot yesterday and mailed it in today.  It doesn't matter.  Obama has a very comfortable lead in NJ.

Berlin is polling 86% Obama 11% McCain. 

Every German I know has been making sure I was going to vote for the last six months.

He has a comfortable lead in a lot of places.

I volunteered for Kerry on the election day four years ago and was stationed in a part of Arlington(VA) that's very international — I think I heard "I wish I could, but I'm not a citizen" in about fifteen different accents.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #61 on: October 08, 2008, 07:29:06 PM
Technically speaking, fivethirtyeight.com doesn't show the actual lead a candidate has, but their chances of winning that state, based on various statistical mumbo-jumbo. A 10-point lead probably translates into something like a 90% of the state going to that candidate, so the two concepts aren't that far apart.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/ is a good site for seeing what the actual lead is right now, based on current polls, rather than extrapolating which way a state is moving.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #62 on: October 08, 2008, 07:49:52 PM
Technically speaking, fivethirtyeight.com doesn't show the actual lead a candidate has, but their chances of winning that state, based on various statistical mumbo-jumbo. A 10-point lead probably translates into something like a 90% of the state going to that candidate, so the two concepts aren't that far apart.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/ is a good site for seeing what the actual lead is right now, based on current polls, rather than extrapolating which way a state is moving.

Actually, FiveThirtyEight has the polls they're using way down on the right side, but Electoral-Vote does a better job of presenting the straight averages in a graphical format, though I wish they had a better way to get to the individual polls and their crosstabs.

RealClearPolitics has a pretty good averaging as well, though some questions have been made and responded to over their choosing process for including and excluding polls from their averages. That said, I remember a week and a half ago looking at the battlegrounds breakout on their front page and seeing that the seven states were split pretty evenly, which is no longer the case. McCain has a single path to victory, and right now things don't look that good for him. The economy doesn't seem like it'll fix itself in the next few weeks, even after the Fed started buying commercial paper, and Obama's and the Democrats always poll better on the economy. Even if things stabilize, McCain's being dragged down by Palin (though less than before the VP debate), and Obama comes out looking like a better leader in the two debates. Plus his ground game has gotten better but still can't match Obama's.

It's not over, but McCain needs some sort of catastrophic event to get close. There are two polls in Virginia, Virginia, that show Obama with a double digit lead.

Russell Nash

Reply #63 on: October 08, 2008, 07:58:41 PM
So bdoomed, how's the girl hunt going?  If the prospects turn out to not be so great this semester, be sure to take Psych 101 in the spring.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #64 on: October 08, 2008, 08:53:08 PM

And you get to vote in the exciting upcoming election! I hope you are watching the debates and educating yourself so that you can make an informed decision. 
Um... hasn't the voter registration deadline already passed?
In Virginia it was October 6th.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #65 on: October 08, 2008, 09:10:43 PM
I think most states you can register before you're 18, as long as you are going to turn 18 before the election date.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #66 on: October 08, 2008, 09:27:29 PM
I think most states you can register before you're 18, as long as you are going to turn 18 before the election date.

In all states you can register to vote so long as you'll be 18 on election day, and it depends on the state for the day you can register. Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Wyoming all allow you to register to vote and vote on election day, other states have different deadlines on when you can register.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #67 on: October 08, 2008, 09:57:09 PM
yea i'm pre-registered.
Girl Chase '08 is goin well :P

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #68 on: October 09, 2008, 12:32:35 AM
Chasing is easy.
Catching is hard.

Russell Nash

Reply #69 on: October 09, 2008, 07:27:36 AM
Chasing is easy.
Catching is hard.

I always set traps and waited.

The best trap was the Mustang I borrowed (stole) from my brother.  That got the highest number, but the lowest quality.

Zathras

Reply #70 on: October 09, 2008, 10:27:01 AM
Flowers and chocolate.

The scent of the flowers covers the odor of the drugs in the chocolate.   :-X

I don't know how I ended up with my wife, though.  She's allergic to roses, so I couldn't slip her any Love Potion #9

Russell Nash

Reply #71 on: October 09, 2008, 11:36:38 AM
Flowers and chocolate.

Trap, trap, trap!!!  If you start off giving her stuff, you just get in shit when you stop or when you haven't done it for a while. 

Zathras

Reply #72 on: October 09, 2008, 05:17:26 PM
Trap, trap, trap!!! 

You were half-right

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #73 on: October 10, 2008, 02:09:01 AM
Two foolproof methods of hooking up:
A) Think of the kind of person you want to be with, then become the person they'd want. [hard]
B) Find things you like doing and do them because you like them, then interact with the people who do those things. [easy]

Russell Nash

Reply #74 on: October 10, 2008, 10:57:19 AM
Two foolproof methods of hooking up:
A) Think of the kind of person you want to be with, then become the person they'd want. [hard]
B) Find things you like doing and do them because you like them, then interact with the people who do those things. [easy]

Big supporter of B.