Author Topic: Could we vote?  (Read 7288 times)

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
on: August 05, 2008, 05:07:03 PM
I am a reddit karma whore. That means I hang out on the news aggregator reddit.com, submitting articles, videos, graphics, links, commenting on what other people submit and voting links and comments up and occasionally down. (Unless someone is being a dick on purpose I rarely vote down.)

It really frustrates me that I can’t vote “up” for good comments on the thepods forums. 

It would probably be too difficult to change the forums that way but I really miss being able to give insightful comments that click of approval.  :D

It might be nice to do it for entire episodes. Though pretty much everyone on the forums loves thepods anyway so that might be pointless.  :-\

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 05:31:52 PM
I don't think we're yet at the point where there are so many comments that we require a karma and/or voting system. Not that I'm against them—I've been /.'ing for a long time and that system works really well and has clear benefits—but it always seems like there gets to be this point where people start posting and tailoring their posting for the karma/votes and I don't think that's a great thing for a forum that attempts at some sort of minor, childish, and bastard literary pedigree.  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 05:50:25 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 05:53:21 PM
...but I really miss being able to give insightful comments that click of approval.  :D
You can always post a comment saying that you approve of that comment, and maybe even saying why, or providing your own thoughts on the matter.

That seems like it would be more useful than a simple "+1".

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 05:59:56 PM
Last year we had a string of commenters who were only commenting to try to get on the episodes.  I think I'd blow a gasket if I had to put up with people making their comments just to get the comments bumped up higher on the boards.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 11:31:03 AM
You could always quote them and say "Hey, that was a really insightful post. I agree with you." or "Wow. I just didn't understand that at all."
Turning feedback in to a popularity contest sounds a little high schoolish.
If this were an informational forum and there were scads of articles and factual information then having a way to stratify the content by quality would be  a service. 

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 04:57:11 AM
Last year we had a string of commenters who were only commenting to try to get on the episodes.  I think I'd blow a gasket if I had to put up with people making their comments just to get the comments bumped up higher on the boards.

Heh.

How'd you figure something like THAT out?

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 05:20:24 AM

Heh.

The divine N-sh knows all; it is his burden...   ::)

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 01:10:38 PM

Heh.

New posters who post only harsh critiques of stories and little else. It easy to be catty and rip something to shreds, it's hard to praise.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 07:23:16 PM

Heh.

New posters who post only harsh critiques of stories and little else. It easy to be catty and rip something to shreds, it's hard to praise.

Also people who write page long reviews with "intelligent sounding" catch-phrasing.  They end up sounding like an unemployable Lit-Prof.