DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 03:18:23 PM
new season starting
anybody watching?

I can't watch it live because we don't get the premium channels. 

I've heard lots of good things about the series, though.  I get the feeling it's one of those things I can't just jump in in the middle but it is something I keep thinking of netflixing. 

eytanz

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 07:45:36 PM
I only saw the first series, which was great; the UK seems to be pretty far behind the US here.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:11:42 AM
i've been watching it over the net. definitely a show to follow from the start.

the new season may be rough, they lost a script writer between seasons and it's the first season that won't be based around a book. on the other hand the books were pretty bad so it may not be a big loss.

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 01:32:58 AM
Watched series 1 and 2. Read two of the novels. All good stuff; if you don't mind "serial killers are people, too"-type stories.

The novels are quite different from the series, except in premise (surprise!), but if you don't get trapped in minutiae you might like both.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 02:02:39 PM
ive seen .... most of one episode.  thought it was awesome but i dont have HBO anymore and when i did have it i just never watched for some reason

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

davedoty

• Peltast
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 09:52:03 AM
It's actually Showtime, not HBO.

It's truly excellent.  As for "from the beginning," each season is very self-contained.  I wouldn't jump in mid-season, but you could start from any season premiere easily.

Assuming, of course, you don't mind spoilers for past seasons, but then that's true any time you jump into any show mid-run.

cede

• Extern
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 04:32:49 PM
i've watched the 1st 2, will start the the 3rd tonite

Kevin David Anderson

• Palmer
  • "He's Undead, Jim"
    • Kevin David Anderson
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:02:06 PM
Thanks to Netflix I was able to enjoy the first season - thought it was amazing.  Just started the second (again through Netflix) and was a little disappointed, seemed to start off a little slow.  Hoping disk 2 of season 2 picks up.   

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 11:28:31 PM
Season 2 REALLY pays off.  The first few are, you're right, a little flimsy but when it picks up steam it's fantastic.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 01:13:08 AM
i was feeling a little worried after the first four episodes of the third season as well. the writing was good and acting solid but Dexter seemed to be drifting away from the original concept, softening. instead of being a serial killer he was acting like a guy that just happens to kill people. his very human response to Rita's pregnancy was a good example. we should never feel comfortable when rooting for Dexter, always a little unsettled that we're actually hoping he gets away.

episode five has helped settle things. he completed one of his rituals and he turns to a fixated psychopath for pointers on how to fake emotion. i also like that they're giving Masuka some room to grow.

Kevin David Anderson

• Palmer
  • "He's Undead, Jim"
    • Kevin David Anderson
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 01:16:53 AM
Season 2 REALLY pays off.  The first few are, you're right, a little flimsy but when it picks up steam it's fantastic.

Good.  I'll stick with it then.  Any other horror series or mini series on HBO, Showtime, etc, that I should be netflix-ing.  Sometime I feel like I'm the only one on the planet with basic broadcast cable. 

davedoty

• Peltast
Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 09:03:43 AM
I had exactly the same reaction to season two.  About halfway through, I was talking to one of my friends about how disappointed we were, and I was thinking about not watching it anymore.  Then there was one awesome scene in which Dexter headbutted Doakes, in which I completely saw where the season was going, and it was a rocket ride.  I was practically jumping up and down waiting for my friend to get the finale on ITunes, at which point we agreed the second season might actually be better than the first.

That's one reason I'm willing to give the show so much more rope this year.  I agree with some of the criticisms I see about the stories so far, but that's how I felt at this point in season two, so I've decided to have faith in their abilities this time around.