Escape Artists
November 27, 2014, 03:07:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP175: Reparations  (Read 16491 times)
yicheng
Matross

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »

I just heard this story, and I have to agree with Evo.Shander.  The story has "Western Guilt" dripping all over it.  While I do realize that "every american should do this" came out of the mouth of a newbie character, it just smacked so much of western-liberal "white man's burden" (e.g. american-european civilization are the only ones who can save the rest of the heathens from what terrible injustices that the american-europeans have wrought, blah blah blah).  Evo.Shander already had some good points about Nanking, Dresden, Bhutan, etc.  Heck, take any major battle along the Russian front, and it's likely to be ten times the terror, civilian casualties, and brutality that Hiroshima weathered.  More to the point, none of the other powers (Japan, German, Russia, heck Britain) would have hesitated one microsecond to nuke New York or Los Angeles if it came down to it and if they had the ability.  War is war, and guilt is a selfish emotion.  Better to spend that energy on doing something useful, like preventing future wars.

Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2010, 12:19:57 PM »

This story was really good, as long as I just laid my nitpicking aside and didn't look for paradoxes and inconsistencies, such as:
1.  The supposed reason for not bringing residents to the future is because you can't alter the timeline, but they ARE altering the timeline to save people who might not otherwise be saved.
2.  If she violates orders by having her future self bring back residents, why would they send her back again?  Which would be necessary if future self has to show up.
3.  Why save those two and leave everyone else to die?

The concept itself was great.  I can kind of see Evo's point about the title, I would've liked something with a bit less guilt in it, but the concept itself is great.  I thought it was interesting that it never revealed who is sending them back and who made the decision to start this program.  I thought that lack of information was actually a good thing in this case.

I've never been very comfortable with the bombing of those two cities.  The thought of slaughtering of so many million civilians makes me sick to my stomach.  I'm just not convinced that wholesale slaughter on that scale can ever be the right thing.  Do I feel guilty?  No, because feeling guilt over something that occurred when my dad was only 6 months old is pointless.  But I'd like to think that I would volunteer to go back for at least a couple trips to do what I could to help.

I don't think that the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki is a good comparison to 9/11, and that probably would've bothered me if I had listened to it on the original pub date of 9/11.  But since I listened to it for the first time in mid-March, it probably bothered me less.

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
yicheng
Matross

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2012, 11:59:17 AM »

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but Dan Carlin recently did a podcast episode that was very apropos to the topic at hand.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/dancarlinhh/dchha42__BLITZ_Logical_Insanity.mp3

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: