Author Topic: Pseudopod 107: Front Row Seats  (Read 11095 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: September 12, 2008, 05:14:04 AM
Pseudopod 107: Front Row Seats

By Scott William Carter

Read by Rick Stringer

Daniel lingered in his cramped office at the University of Minnesota long after the other professors in the Math department called it a day. He was still there when all the lights under all the doors winked out and the parking lot outside his window was a bleak, snow-draped emptiness. He was at his desk when old Cal Thomas from Geography shuffled past, taking his incessant coughing with him. He stayed until the equations on shifted lattices turned to squirrelly nonsense, lines and squiggles on ruled pages, until finally he felt the thing creep into his thoughts, that black starfish wrapping its prickly limbs around whatever memories he chose to dwell upon, making his ears ring and his eyes water.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:35:42 PM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 05:14:47 AM
seems Alasdair is trying to cheat and say that PP has 108 episodes.
cant wait another week?

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Zathras

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 07:32:13 PM
Where's the horror?

Good, not great story. 

Zathras

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:33:15 PM
Wait, having to sit through Dumb and Dumber? 

I found the horror

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 10:00:12 PM
seems Alasdair is trying to cheat and say that PP has 108 episodes.
cant wait another week?

Did I mention I'm a word guy?  I do...words?  I speak good and do other stuff good with extra added articulateness?

Words, Al's friend.

Numbers, not so much.

Sorry about that:)

Cerebrilith

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 12:46:32 AM
Touching story.  Well done.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 04:55:57 AM
I dug it.

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

slowmovingthing

• Extern
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 01:41:21 PM
This is a very underperforming story for me.

No horror, even when dealing with lost ones, it seems it didn't live up to its' potential.

Sub-Meh.

The last few episodes (with the exception of Jihad) have been more or less duds for me.
I have failed to see the horror in the last few episodes, although in all previous Ep's, I could claim something about each episode had some element of horror or even dark fantasy (which is OK with me).
But the last few have had little of anything that could be labeled as such.

Lately I have been finding Alasdair's outtro's more enjoyable than the actual story.

I found even the outtro lacking in this one.

Enough with the harshness.

I do appreciate the hard work these people put in and the podcast in general.

I just hope the horror and general quality of stories picks up to where they once were.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 09:49:58 PM
Do not want. Grief-eating starfish that likes to watch movies? Baroo?

The reader sounded like Joe Mantegna. Did anyone else notice that?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 11:10:06 PM
I don't know, the starfish didn't seem very sinister to me. Hardly seemed like a curse - doomed to go to movies with your loved one. Reminded me of Stephen King's Needful Things in a way, but without the downside.

Worked pretty well, though for me it was more fantasy than horror. YMMV.

ieDaddy

• Palmer
    • Experiences of an Inland Empire Dad
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 11:40:47 PM
If you have to sit through a ton of movies with your wife...well, that's horror if she's eating all your popcorn and makes you go get a soda during the best part of the movie.  If she's dead and leaving little gooey bits of finger in the popcorn, that's probably worse.

Could have gone a lot of ways, didn't really like the whole rumpled ticket ending.  Where's the brain eating zombies?

Also, in regards to the grief sucker... I'm not sure that was explained real well.  I didn't understand if the starfish amplified the grief, or just sat there where other star-bellied Sneetches could see it (ok, I'm a sucker for Dr. Seuss references, even when I have to go out in left field to make them myself), or if it actually harmed the host in a parasitic nature.  What was scary about a black starfish eating your grief?  it's sort of cute when you think about it...

I really wanted the starfish to reach out and infect the host with mind-bending thoughts, drive him to the brink of insanity, drive him to deep despair that the starfish would eat until the host picks up the chicken scissors and tries to dig out the grief-eating bastard of a star fish in true Siegler style.

I didn't get that.  I was disappointed.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 09:12:42 PM
I admit this one wasn't very scary for me, but I've never suffered any real or great loss in my life.
I haven't had the love of my life and the center of my world ripped from me. But I imagine suffering through that would be its own hell, and while the thought of getting to re-watch every movie with that person might seem comforting it comes at the cost of knowing that at any showing that person might be ripped from you all over again.
...On the other hand, when you lose them you'll be ready to move on with your life.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 09:56:13 PM
As someone who lost a life partner to illness, I feel like this story should have had at least some impact on me.  It really didn't.  Don't have much else to say.

eytanz

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 02:15:58 PM
Catching up on a few weeks of PP - for this one, I agree with the general opinion; this story didn't really live up to its premise. It should have been touching, or sad, but it fell pretty flat. It talked about emotions a lot, but it didn't convey them.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 06:37:18 AM
I don't know, I quite liked that it was a quiet little story which didn't end with the world going to hell in a handcart. So, did it end with the narrator unable to look at his wife because the starfish wouldn't let him or because he knew it would be worse when the film ended and he had to leave her again?

eytanz

Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 07:41:10 AM
I don't know, I quite liked that it was a quiet little story which didn't end with the world going to hell in a handcart. So, did it end with the narrator unable to look at his wife because the starfish wouldn't let him or because he knew it would be worse when the film ended and he had to leave her again?

I thought he wasn't sure what will happen if he tries looking at her, and wasn't going to risk the time with her in order to try, at least not right away.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 01:37:00 AM
...at least not right away.
I think that's exactly right. There was something about "I wasn't watching the movie" repeated a few times towards the end of the story.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

robertmarkbram

• Palmer
    • The Blog for Rob
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 06:02:56 AM
I don't expect all the stories in Pseudopod to be horrific, as in Zombies or bloody murder or a tale that makes me shrink away and cringe. I honestly don't think that's what the genre is about. Horror can take so many forms and colours - and in this story, the horror was in the feeling of loss and self immolation evoked by the characters' plight.

I think Scott William Carter did a brilliant job with this story by conjuring up that darkness in the soul that festers when you just can't let go and can't forgive yourself for missed opportunities, for time that could have been differently spent. For me, this was the over-riding theme of the narrative that everything else in the story set up and supported so well: the star fish, the characters themselves all worked well to evoke this feeling within me strongly enough that I felt chills multiple times during Rick Stringer's magnificent reading.

For my money, this is easily one of the top ten Pseudopods ever - well done Rick Stringer and Scott William Carter!

Rob
:)

ryanknapper

• Extern
Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 05:52:35 AM
I agree that this movie wasn't horror, or scary, but I did enjoy it.  I've had more than a little vodka at the moment and I am somewhat close to tears.

I love my wife and no matter how much time we have in this world, it isn't enough.  I don't know what is worse: the anguish I will feel when she's gone, or dying before her and leaving her to the same  misery I fear.

Alcohol always leaves me depressed and waxing quixotic.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 09:39:20 PM
For those wondering whether the starfish was harming him with its actions or not, here's my interpretation:
The starfish is an emotional leech.  Just as a leech has an anti-clotting agent to keep the blood from scabbing over and blocking the wound, so does the starfish have an effect that causes its subject from healing and thus keeps its food source flowing.

So, instead of grieving, and allowing himself to heal, this creature keeps the wound open until its ready to move on to the next host.  How could you grieve a woman who you feel by your side every day?  It's parasitism is of a unique nature that the host, because of the nature of his grief, does not WANT the wound to heal.  It's sad to think that we could possibly ever be "over" the death of a spouse, so we want to keep them close to us always, but it's not emotionally healthy to do so.  I got the impression the old guy had been in this emotional limbo for decades, never able to move forward with his life.  That's where the horror in it was for me.

I liked the story overall, but there were a couple parts that didn't seem to mesh with the rest of the story explanation:
-The old guy disappearing spontaneously. 
-The ticket at the end.  Why does the starfish need the ticket to do its work?

Also, I was excited at the beginning of the story to see a Minnesota setting.  I live in Minnesota, you see, and it's refreshing to see a setting I'm familiar with.  Not only that, I am taking grad school classes at the U of M Computer Science department, which shares some classrooms with the math department.

But the setting was so over-archingly generic, that the mention of Minnesota could have been any state that has a college, and winter weather, so I was quite disappointed.  The only other local information was the name of his hometown "New Ulm", but anybody could've grabbed that off a map.  It wouldn't have taken much to make it seem like a more authentic setting instead of just a randomly chosen state name, a street, the name of an interstate, anything. 

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 11:54:43 PM
This was an interesting little story that could really be looked at as a metaphor for grief.  I give this a middle-of-the-road review: it was good, but not fantastic.  It was well told, but not exceptionally so (no particular phrase stood out, for example).  It was worth my time certainly, but if I were making a PP anthology, I would not include it therein.

Also: I didn't much care for the title.  Front-Row seats are important at sporting events and plays, but are actually undesireable for movies.  I also didn't see where it related to the events.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 01:49:33 PM
Also: I didn't much care for the title.  Front-Row seats are important at sporting events and plays, but are actually undesireable for movies.  I also didn't see where it related to the events.

Good point.  The front row seats are usually the last to fill because you have to crane your neck and often you can't see the whole screen without moving your head.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 03:19:49 PM

The point of the magic ticket was to summon a deceased lover, and like any lovers at the movies they weren't really watching the movie.  IOW, it's a front row seat to something besides the movie.

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 03:29:53 PM

The point of the magic ticket was to summon a deceased lover, and like any lovers at the movies they weren't really watching the movie.  IOW, it's a front row seat to something besides the movie.

Ah.  That was too many leaps of logic for me to make.  Something like "Movie Date" or something would have made more sense to me.  Just saying.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.