Author Topic: What is WRONG with Escape Pod?  (Read 6398 times)

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
on: September 13, 2008, 07:03:41 PM
The last couple of days about 80% of the time the site and the forums are down.

What is wrong?

Is the pod being attacked?

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 07:53:29 PM
Steve posted about this here.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 10:23:25 PM
Thanks. Hope everything works out soon. Seemed like the world might be ending when Escape Pod destabilized. Maybe one of the effects of the LHC.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 08:54:28 AM
It's 4:45 AM and I just finished fixing it for good, I think.  I've put a monitoring system in place (called God, which is clever until you try to Google on it) to kickstart any PHP processes that fail again.

What I've done in the past two days has been the equivalent of taking a car's engine apart and rebuilding it three or four times.  It is utterly insane that this was necessary.  I've been on edge the whole time, and in a full-blown rage for some of it.  I am not joking about that part.  I have chosen to blame 1.) my own incompetence; 2.) the PodPress plug-in for Wordpress; and 3.) the PHP programming language.  I've come to loathe all three.

I'll have a rant about that coming up, and probably a plan of action.  Right now, I finally have enough confidence that this site will stay up that I feel I can sleep.  If it's down in the morning, I may have to destroy the solar system.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:26:11 AM
It's 4:45 AM and I just finished fixing it for good, I think.  I've put a monitoring system in place (called God, which is clever until you try to Google on it) to kickstart any PHP processes that fail again.

What I've done in the past two days has been the equivalent of taking a car's engine apart and rebuilding it three or four times.  It is utterly insane that this was necessary.  I've been on edge the whole time, and in a full-blown rage for some of it.  I am not joking about that part.  I have chosen to blame 1.) my own incompetence; 2.) the PodPress plug-in for Wordpress; and 3.) the PHP programming language.  I've come to loathe all three.

I'll have a rant about that coming up, and probably a plan of action.  Right now, I finally have enough confidence that this site will stay up that I feel I can sleep.  If it's down in the morning, I may have to destroy the solar system.

Thank you. And if it's not too much bother, could you please contain your rage to the uninhabited bits of the solar system (best judgement on Io)?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 09:46:42 AM
Oooh thanks, somehow I missed the original post. Was vaguely concerned that the podcast had imploded and this was The End. Feel better now.

Thank you. And if it's not too much bother, could you please contain your rage to the uninhabited bits of the solar system (best judgement on Io)?

Or maybe just New Jersey?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 09:49:20 AM by Talia »

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 09:54:25 AM
thanks for your time Steve, this corner of the internet you've built is a fun place to be.

don't hesitate to ask if you think there's anything we can do to help with the janitorial side of things.
i know it's not always practical but we're willing to donate our time & skills to take the pressure off.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 03:47:08 PM
thanks for your time Steve, this corner of the internet you've built is a fun place to be.

don't hesitate to ask if you think there's anything we can do to help with the janitorial side of things.
i know it's not always practical but we're willing to donate our time & skills to take the pressure off.

Yeah. What he said.