Author Topic: EP182: The Story of the Late Mr. Elvesham  (Read 18086 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 06:26:32 PM
Possibly my favorite story of this type is Charles DeLint's novel Trader.

Was the Wells story the first of this type, or just one of the first?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 06:39:52 PM
I'm pretty sure the basic idea's been used in mythology, but I'd be hard pressed to come up with a specific example off the top of my head.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Rain

• Matross
Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 09:35:37 AM
This story was pretty Meh to me, i guess after having listened to so many body transplant stories over the years i need to hear something special for me to like it, and this wasnt it

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #28 on: November 13, 2008, 04:21:51 AM
LIked the reading, liked the story.

But what spurred me to comment was the outro. Dead on. I am continually sickened by people who place politics over people.. over humanity and having an ounce of compassion. When "patriotism" kills compassion, something is horribly wrong.

We're all just people, people. Thanks for the opinion, Steve. I couldn't agree more.

phoomp

• Extern
Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 07:49:58 PM
Excellent story.
Excellent outro.

I hate it when people use the "anti-American" tag to try and silence things they don't want to hear.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 01:51:51 PM
Hooray for H.G. Wells stories!  He's one of my favorite authors of all time.  I hadn't heard this particular story before so that was a bonus.  I found it predictable, but, well, it's hard to see an SF story as classic as this one that treads "new" ground from my perspective.  I was particularly tuned to the "twist" of this one because I had literally just watched Being John Malkovich for the first time the night before I listened to this.  (great movie, btw)