Author Topic: Anyone Gonna Check Out Metatropolis?  (Read 3550 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
on: October 21, 2008, 04:22:41 PM
It's an all audio novella collection that John Scalzi, Elizabeth Bear (I guess Anarkey's in), Jay Lake, Tobias Buckell, and Karl Schroeder each contributed to.  The stories are told in a shared universe.

I'm curious enough.  And I think it's pretty cool that the stories are all audio.  The only catch for me is that I'm pretty sure Audible still uses DRM, which is a bummer.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 04:28:22 PM
[...] I'm pretty sure Audible still uses DRM, which is a bummer.

They do, and it is.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 04:49:17 PM
I used up my audible freebie and I have far too much in my backlog to justify spending money on something new.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 05:08:20 PM
Yup. DRM means I don't get to listen to it, for both moral and technical reasons. And, yes, it's easy enough to crack the DRM (they even tell you how to do it), so maybe "technical reasons" is a euphemism for "laziness"...

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 06:06:55 PM
Yup. DRM means I don't get to listen to it, for both moral and technical reasons. And, yes, it's easy enough to crack the DRM (they even tell you how to do it), so maybe "technical reasons" is a euphemism for "laziness"...

Has anyone tried burning to CD and then re-importing it to iTunes?  I only have one audible book and I'd like to be able to save it without having to remember how to "free it up" (couldn't think of the term) for whatever computer I may have down the road.

eytanz

Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 06:14:19 PM

Has anyone tried burning to CD and then re-importing it to iTunes?  I only have one audible book and I'd like to be able to save it without having to remember how to "free it up" (couldn't think of the term) for whatever computer I may have down the road.

That would work, as the link in Wintermute's post suggests. It doesn't solve the problem, though, of paying for something with DRM, which sends the wrong message to Audible (i.e. that it's ok to keep using DRM since people will buy it).

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 06:28:32 PM

That would work, as the link in Wintermute's post suggests. It doesn't solve the problem, though, of paying for something with DRM, which sends the wrong message to Audible (i.e. that it's ok to keep using DRM since people will buy it).

In theory yes, but mine was free.