Author Topic: EP055: Down Memory Lane  (Read 14044 times)

Russell Nash

on: September 24, 2008, 01:09:58 PM
EP055: Down Memory Lane

By Mike Resnick.
Read by Alex Wilson (of Telltale Weekly).

I don’t know where I was when Kennedy was shot. I don’t know what I was doing when the World Trade Center collapsed under the onslaught of two jetliners. But I remember every single detail, every minute, every second, of the day we got the bad news.

“It may not be Alzheimer’s,” said Dr. Castleman. “Alzheimer’s is becoming a catchword for a variety of senile dementias. Eventually we’ll find out exactly which dementia it is, but there’s no question that Gwendolyn is suffering from one of them.”

Rated G.

Referenced Sites:
2006 Hugo Nominees
TellTale Weekly — Clarion Foundation Fundraiser

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

eytanz

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 11:31:51 PM
This one... is a complicated one for me to react to. On the one hand, masterfully crafted. All the emotional notes worked for me, all the right heartstrings were pulled. All Resnick stories are well-written, whether I like them or not, but this was a standout.

On the other hand, it felt wrong. Somewhat - and let me stress that I don't think this was Resnick's intention, but just the reaction it evoked in me - exploititive. As if Alzheimer's disease, and the people suffering from it, were being put to use in order to drive a story, rather than this being a story about the disease or its effects. The ending made me tear up when I heard it, but it made me feel bad about feeling sad, as if I allowed myself to be manipulated. Then I felt guilty for feeling like that, because who am I to judge?

I haven't figured out how I feel about the story, or how I feel I should feel about the story. What I do know is that, a few months after hearing it, I still remember the reaction I had quite vividly. There are some who would say that is a success. Another question I still haven't resolved is whether I agree.

Zathras

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 10:59:24 PM
This one really got to me.  I probably would have given it a meh if I had heard it 3 years ago.  Now that I'm married, I can relate to it.

On a slightly morbid note, I am going to compose a list of things I want to do if I develop a similar condition.  Already on the list?  Watch movies like Fight Club and The 6th Sense.

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:47:44 AM
I am going to compose a list of things I want to do if I develop a similar condition.

Sounds like a good idea for a separate thread.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 07:00:36 AM
bucket list time!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 05:53:12 PM
A good, emotional story, but I didn't like it as much I would've expected.  I'm not entirely sure why.  I think it may be that I was always aware that I was being led along, as though I could see the writer pulling the strings like a puppeteer.  That's not even a criticism of the writer or the story, exactly, I was just too aware of the stage the play was acted on or something.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 05:54:18 PM
part of the reason I'm surprised that I didn't like it more is that Alzheimer's is an easy hotbutton to hit for me.  Very few things terrify me as much as Alzheimer's.  I was really drawn in by "Come to My Arms, My Beamish Boy" largely because of that.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 06:19:45 PM
Heh. I am actually shocked this one has so few responses. Well, I guess that it's so old.. heh. :P

I listened to this again recently and it made me cry a lot. I had a very strong reaction to it, particularly the end.

A wonderful, devastating story. IMHO this story is a good example of Resnick's deft hand with super-emotional stuff. (at least, in a way that appeals to me. I realize this sort of thing is not to everyone's taste).